May 29, 2020
The State Government is encouraging sporting organisations to start planning for the potential re-start of sporting activities through the “Queensland Return to Play” initiative.
The government has developed a Return to Play guide and checklist to assist individuals, organisations and clubs to understand and prepare for the proposed relaxation of restrictions.
Currently, under Stage 1 of the Recovery Roadmap, minimal informal, unorganised physical activity is able to be conducted.
Moving into Stage 2 on June 12, there’ll be further relaxations to allow more people and formal non-contact community sports to occur.
And in Stage 3 – currently planned to begin on July 10 – contact sports will be permitted with a further increase in the amount of people able to be involved, including spectators.
Anyone involved in sport, recreation and fitness activities is urged to visit the following sites for further information:
- Return to Play website
- Return to Play Guide (2.9Mb PDF)
- Return to Play Readiness Checklist (200kb PDF)
- Staged restrictions for sport, recreation and fitness organisations
* * *
As part of the State Government’s Return to Play initiative, a range of grants and funding is available to assist eligible community sport, recreation and fitness organisations.
Getting Queenslanders active is a key priority of the government.
Support packages include:
- COVID SAFE Active Clubs Kickstart – for hygiene supplies, equipment and operational costs for COVID Safe clubs to return to sport; $2000 grants are available for up to 7000 clubs
- FairPlay vouchers – For young participants to participate in local sporting activities and support families experiencing hardship as a result of COVID-19; vouchers of up to $150 are available for 73,000 participants
- Active Restart Infrastructure Recovery Fund – Grants for minor capital works and support for up to 3000 clubs to purchase revenue generating equipment to support Return to Play
- Active Industry Fund – Payment will be distributed to 77 State-level organisations ahead of schedule to help secure the future of community sport and support the easing of restrictions
Further information about these programs is available on the State Government website