April 7, 2020
Queensland Health has recorded 13 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 since Monday, raising the State total to 934, but there is good news locally with no new cases recorded in the Darling Downs Health region.
Contact tracing is under way for the 13 new cases.
Queensland Health said an infectious diseases nurse from the Princess Alexandra Hospital was among the new cases.
The nurse was working in an infectious diseases unit with COVID-19 patients and then reported feeling unwell.
The nurse, who is currently resting in isolation, had followed all procedures, including staying home as soon as symptoms emerged and immediately notified superiors to help protect colleagues and close contacts.
Metro South Public Health unit has determined six other staff members who came in contact with the nurse will now self-isolate for the required 14 days.
The highest number of confirmed cases continues to be the Metro North Health region (284), followed by Metro South (219), Gold Coast (177) and the Sunshine Coast (84).
The total number of confirmed cases in the Darling Downs Health region – including patients that have recovered – remains at 40.
Nationally, as at 6:00am on Tuesday, there had been 5844 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Australia – up 100 from 6:00am on Monday. The most cases have been identified in NSW (2686) and Victoria (1158).
The national death toll on Tuesday afternoon was 48.
* * *
Social distancing and community discipline should continue over the Easter break to keep downward pressure on new coronavirus cases, Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said on Tuesday.
“The Health Minister and I have always said that day-to-day the number of new cases would vary, and the most important thing is to look at the trend,” Ms Palaszczuk said.
“We’ve seen some great achievements over the past few days, with 13 new cases in today’s figures. So we don’t want people to now think it’s okay to socialise and travel during the break.
“We need everyone to please do the right thing. I know we can do it if we all work together.”
Also on Tuesday:
- Cruise ships have been officially banned from entering Queensland waters and any remaining vessels must leave by tomorrow night.
“If you do see a cruise ship today or tomorrow, they are just refuelling and resupplying. Then they will be on their way,” the Premier said. “No passengers are on the departing ships and no crew members are reported to be unwell.”
- Education Ministers (State and Federal) have agreed that Year 12 students will be given the chance to achieve a QCE in 2020, ie. there’ll be no “Year 13”.
A decision about Term 2 will be made by next week.
* * *
Queensland Health has expanded the eligibility criteria for COVID-19 testing.
A person is eligible for testing if they have a fever (or history of fever) or acute respiratory symptoms AND in the last 14 days:
- They were a close contact or a household contact of a confirmed case, or
- They had been overseas, including on a cruise
Testing is also possible for people who have a fever (or history of fever) or acute respiratory symptoms AND
- Work in vulnerable settings such as healthcare, aged or residential care, military, correction facilities, detention centres and boarding schools, or
- Live in Brisbane, Gold Coast or Cairns (Brisbane includes the Metro North and Metro South Hospital and Health Services), or
- Live in an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander community.