April 3, 2020
There have been 39 new cases of COVID-19 confirmed in Queensland since Thursday, taking the total to 873.
Contact tracing is under way for these 39 new cases.
Eight patients are currently in intensive care units and more than 53,000 tests have been carried out in the State.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk told ABC Radio on Friday morning she believed Queensland was a few weeks behind NSW in the outbreak, with the peak likely to hit in July, August or September.
The majority of cases are patients who have travelled overseas or had direct contact with a confirmed case who had travelled overseas.
In the Darling Downs Health region, there have been 39 confirmed cases, no increase from yesterday.
A Darling Downs Health spokesperson said there were also no new public health alerts in the region.
The most number of confirmed cases so far in Queensland are in Metro North (259), Metro South (201), Gold Coast (166) and Sunshine Coast (82).
As at 6:00am on Friday, there had been 5224 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Australia – up 248 since 6:00am on Thursday – and 23 people had died.
More than 270,000 tests have been carried out.
However, the social distancing measures that Australians have been undertaking appear to be working.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison told reporters on Friday afternoon that had the infection rate kept growing at the same rate it was 12 days ago, we would now have more than 10,500 cases in Australia.