July 3, 2018
Kingaroy’s been overrun by young kids this school holidays but no one’s complaining!
The town was selected to host the Zone 5 Under 35kg junior rugby league carnival which means more than 120 10-year-olds, along with coaches, support staff and proud parents have descended on the town.
Some are camped at the Kingaroy Showgrounds but many of the adults have booked rooms in local motels, providing a nice little boost to Kingaroy’s economy.
The carnival is the first U35kg zone event to be held in the South Burnett, and is being co-hosted by the Kingaroy Red Ants and the Murgon Mustangs clubs.
Previous large junior rugby league carnivals to be held in the region were the Central Division Junior Carnival in Kingaroy in 2016 and the U43kg Zone carnival in Murgon in 2015 – both of which also attracted large contingents of players and supporters.
This time around, a representative team from the South Burnett – selected from players drawn from all South Burnett clubs – is taking on teams from Balonne Barwon, Central Downs, Charleville, Cunnamulla, Macintyre, Roma, Western Downs and Wynnum in games at T.J. O’Neill Oval.
The first games kicked off on Monday morning after the official weigh-in on Sunday.
So far, the South Burnett youngsters have played four games – for four wins – but they also know they have some big games ahead of them.
Coach Jason Webber said the carnival had been great so far and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves.
The weather had also been perfect although a heavy scud of rain hit the ground on Monday afternoon with just five minutes left in the last game of the day.
* * *
South Burnett v Western Downs
The South Burnett Eagles notched up their fourth straight win of the carnival on Tuesday afternoon, downing Western Downs 30-16.
But there’s still some big days of football – and some big challenges – ahead for the boys.
On Wednesday (Day 3), they face games against Cunnamulla and Central Downs; and on Thursday (Day 4), against Charleville and Wynnum.
There’s no final of the competition (it’s decided purely on points) but the best players from all teams will face off in an East v West game at noon on Friday, which will be followed by presentations at 1:00pm.
* * *
South Burnett Eagles Celebrate A Win
* * *
South Burnett Results (so far)
South Burnett def. Roma 30-26
- Tries: Zac Harris (2), Lawson Braithwaite (2) and Robert Hyams
- Goals: Lawson Braithwaite, Robert Hyams, Will Webber, Benjamin Walsh and Parker Alexander
South Burnett def. McIntyre 42-16
- Tries: Will Webber, Benjamin Walsh, Lewis Hopkins, James Searle, Zac Harris, Slater Green and Andrew Coutts
- Goals: Lawson Braithwaite, Zac Harris, Will Webber, James Searle, Robert Hyams, Lewis Hopkins and Archie Pointon
South Burnett def. Balonne Barwon 16-5
- Tries: Will Webber (2) and Lawson Braithwaite
- Goals: Lawson Braithwaite and Will Webber
South Burnett def. Western Downs 30-16
- Tries: Robert Hyams, Benjamin Walsh, Zac Harris, Riley Gale and Parker Alexander
- Goals: Lawson Braithwaite, Zac Harris, Will Webber, Benjamin Walsh and Parker Alexander