May 30, 2017
AGL’s Coopers Gap Wind Farm proposal passed another milestone on Monday when the project received planning approval from the Department of Infrastructure, Local Government and Planning.
The wind farm will ultimately house 115 turbines across 10 grazing properties in the Cooranga North area between Kumbia and Bell, and construction is expected to begin in the second half of this year.
It has an approved capacity of up to 460 MW, which would produce around 1400 GWh of energy.
AGL’s Coopers Gap Wind Farm Project Manager Evan Carless said the wind farm would provide economic as well as environmental benefits for Cooranga North and the surrounding region.
The wind farm is planned to be connected to a new Powerlink substation along the Western Downs to Halys 275kV transmission line built by Powerlink.
AGL has submitted a request to the Department Of Energy for a power generation authority so it can connect the wind farm to the transmission line.
Public input on that proposal closed on May 1, and the Department is expected to announce its decision in the near future.
On Tuesday, Cr Ros Heit welcomed news the wind farm project is moving ahead.
Last August Cr Heit joined a group of Cooranga North residents on an AGL-funded trip to inspect two of the company’s Victorian wind farms and talk to residents who lived near them.
“It’s good when new development comes to our region, and this will be a great bonus to the landowners on which the turbines will be built,” Cr Heit said.
“I’m confident AGL have taken sufficient steps to protect the environment and neighbouring properties from any adverse effects from the wind farm, and I’m keen to see local businesses involved in its construction and ongoing maintenance, which would bring revenue into our region.
“I’m also looking forward to AGL opening a community fund to support local organisations in the wind farm area, particularly in the Kumbia district.”
- AGL Applies For Power Licence
- Big Milestone For Coopers Gap
- Wind Farm Passes Another Milestone
- AGL Offers Neighbours Free Power
- AGL To Review Coopers Gap EIS
- Drop-In Sessions On Wind Farm
- Coopers Gap EIS To Open For Comment
- AGL Submits Coopers Gap EIS
- What’s In It For The South Burnett?
- Wind Farm Takes Another Step
- Wind Farm Burden Lifted From Councils
- Wind Farm Meeting Draws A Crowd
- Wind Farm Committee To Meet
- Consultation Opens On Wind Farm Proposal
- Wind Farm Terms Being Drafted
- 2017 Start For Wind Farm Project
- Feedback Sought On Wind Farm Code
- Anti-Wind Farm Voices Speak Out
- Guidelines Being Drafted For Wind Farm
- Wind Farm Supporters Deny Community Split
- MP ‘Deceived By Anti-Wind Lobby’
- Wind Farms ‘A Fraud’: MP
- Local Residents Back Wind Farms
- Mayor Upset By Wind Farm ‘Misinformation’
- Pro-Wind Farm Group Meets In Dalby
- Frustration Over Wind Farm Limbo
- Xenophon Offers To Talk To Residents
- Council Wants 2km Buffer Zone Around Wind Farms
- MP Calls For 2km Zone Around Wind Farm
- Committee Formed To Discuss Wind Farm Proposal
- Mayor-Elect Wants Council To Take Lead Role