July 8, 2016
The seventh annual Raising Hell In Maidenwell – a charity fundraiser organised by the South Burnett Gas Guzzlers club – had a little bit of everything for motoring enthusiasts at the weekend.
There were hotrods, street machines, some fairly new American muscle cars and some Aussie classics.
There was also a smattering of 1950s and 1960s vintage caravans.
Gas Guzzlers club president Terry Mackrell said there was about 70 vehicles entered into the show and shine, down a little on previous years.
This could have been due to the Federal Election (people often don’t travel far from home on voting day) or it could be because there have been a few other show and shines on recently.
But either way, the people who were there were having a good time.
The weekend kicked off on Friday night with a rock’n’roll dance at the Maidenwell Hall, followed by the main day of the show and shine on Saturday, and a pig-on-the spit dinner at the Maidenwell Pub.
Activities wrapped up on Sunday about lunchtime.
Terry said planning had already begun for next year’s event, which will again be sponsored by the Heritage Community Bank, Nanango.
The Gas Guzzlers club is also always on the lookout for new members.
Anyone interested should contact Terry on 0409-496-167.
Footnote: Ford fans should take note … the V6 Commodore lasted much longer than the Ford in the engine blow-up competition, where the motors are run with no oil or water. The six-cylinder Ford engine threw a rod and exploded, much to the delight of the Holden fans present. Times: Holden 5:35 (won by Tammy Schumacher) and Ford 1:35 (won by Leesa Baker).
* * *
- Top Car Of Show – 1957 Chevrolet, Dale Ostrofski
- Top 10 – 1971 HQ Monaro, Fiona Butler
- Top 10 – 1969 Mustang fastback, Ben and Julie Warrington
- Top 10 – 1980 Holden sedan, Caroline Rogerson
- Top 10 – 1975 Torana, Mick Baker
- Top 10 – 1952 Chev ute, Mick Lombardi
- Top 10 – 1964 EH Holden, Steve Culleya
- Top 10 – 1975 Holden, Tina Holt
- Top 10 – 1961 Cadillac, Jim and Ben Albury
- Top 10 – 1967 Holden, Shane Cuskelly
- Top 10 – 1971 Torana, Alicia Kingwill
- Vintage Van & Car Combo 1st – 1956 Chev & van, John and Marie Clayton
- Vintage Van & Car Combo 2nd – 1961 Cadillac & Olympic, Marc and Karen Davis
- Vintage Caravan 1st – Viscount, Elwyn McFarlane
- Vintage Caravan 2nd – 1966 Sunliner, Mark and Michelle Heywood
- Entrant’s Choice – 1959 Chrysler, William Scott
- Best Club Car – 1961 Cadillac, Marc and Karen Davis
- Best Club Car runner-up – 1965 Chevrolet Impala, Glen Applebee
* * *
- Hellraisers Gather At Maidenwell (2015)
- Outstanding Time At Maidenwell (2014)
- A Helluva Good Time (2013)
- Maidenwell Hosts Hot Rod Heaven (2012)
* * *
Click on the images to expand