December 10, 2015
New information about flood risks may lead to some land zoning changes in the South Burnett.
Finance and Planning Portfolio chair Cr Keith Campbell told Wednesday’s SBRC meeting Council officers have recently been reviewing the latest flood hazard information provided by the State Government.
They have used the new data to update a proposed flood hazard overlay map.
Planning and engineering staff will meet soon to discuss and agree on the extent of the flood hazard overlay.
This new information may result in some changes to land zonings.
* * *
The introduction of the South Burnett’s new Regional Planning Scheme has been slowed by a string of proposed new planning laws.
Cr Keith Campbell said Member for Clayfield Tim Nicholls had introduced three private member bills to State Parliament in June this year; and last month Deputy Premier Jackie Trad introduced three more.
A Parliamentary committee is now considering all six bills, but is not due to deliver its report until March 21.
A draft of the South Burnett’s new Planning Scheme – which will ultimately replace the four separate Planning Schemes for the former Shires of Nanango, Kingaroy, Wondai and Murgon – has been under development for seven years.
The draft is currently waiting for Ministerial approval so it can be released for public consultation.
The Council originally hoped this might occur early next year, but the State Government’s proposed new planning laws may now delay that.
* * *
The Council will hold a public auction of 15 properties on January 19 to recover $149,779 in unpaid rates.
At its June meeting, the Council voted to sell 49 properties whose rates had remained unpaid for the last three years.
At that time, the total amount of outstanding rates owing was $483,762.
Two-thirds of the owners have since brought their rate arrears up to date.
The balance will go under the hammer next month unless owners make arrangements to settle before the auction.