June 21, 2013
The South Burnett Regional Council is currently having discussions with Sydney-based Pulse Health, operators of the South Burnett Private Hospital, about the future management of the facility.
South Burnett Regional Council CEO Ken McLoughlin said Pulse Health representatives had met with Council officers.
“Council is well aware of the importance of the South Burnett Private Hospital to the region and is committed to engaging to ensure that the private hospital is fully functioning to serve the residents of the South Burnett,” Mr McLoughlin said.
He would not comment on the possible management of the hospital in the future but said it was likely an announcement would be made in the next few weeks.
At last week’s Council meeting, councillors approved a $500,000 banking overdraft facility from the State Treasury for South Burnett Private Hospital operations.
Mr McLoughlin said Council has also spoken with Mike Horan, chairman of the Darling Downs Hospital and Health Board, and Queensland Health, which has a regulatory role in the hospital operations.
“The South Burnett Private Hospital provides an important and vital service to the people of the South Burnett and we will be doing everything in our power to maintain its operation,” he said.
The South Burnett Regional Council owns the hospital building and is responsible for its maintenance.