On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 29 June 2019
Queensland Winter Craft Festival - Kingaroy
- The Queensland Winter Craft Festival will be running throughout June and July at the Kingaroy Regional Art Gallery in Haly Street, Kingaroy (opposite the peanut silos). The Gallery will be hosting exhibitions from a number of South Burnett craft groups each month, and it will also be running a daily program of workshops covering everything from pom-pom and rug making to Kumihimo braiding, spinning and weaving, woodcrafts, dichroic glass and more. The Craft Festival is the most extensive event of its kind in Queensland, and you can get the full program of this month's workshops and craft-related activities as a PDF by clicking here. More details? Phone the Gallery on (07) 4189-9323. Note: This weekend the Gallery will also be hosting two one-day workshops: Weaving With Weed Vines on Saturday, and a Hand-Made Sketchbook and Journal workshop on Sunday.
Album Launch - Nanango
- Well-known South Burnett musician and entertainer Lloyd Back will be launching his new album at The Shed in Little Drayton Street, Nanango (just next to Scott Car Park) at 10:30am this morning. Lloyd will be performing some of his new songs and autographing copies of his CD for fans. Everyone is welcome!
John Titman Golden Steel Shoe Challenge - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Junior Motorcycle Speedway Club (the "Junior Bees") will be holding its fourth annual John Titman Golden Steel Shoe Challenge race day on the main oval of Kingaroy Showgrounds in Youngman Street, Kingaroy from 10:00am today. Some of the best young riders in the country will be competing in the 250cc and 125cc classes for trophies sponsored by former speedway champ John Titman. There'll also be support racing by PeeWees and SuperLites. Entry is free for spectators and and everyone is welcome to come along. More details? Phone Tracey on 0407-623-012.
Murgon Men's Shed
- The Murgon Men's Shed will be holding a meeting at their shed in Macalister Street, Murgon (the former Murgon Railway Station) today. The Men's Shed meets every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to work on projects and new members are always welcome.
47th Battalion U18s/U20s Carnival - Murgon
- A combined 47th Battalion U18s/U20s Carnival will be held at the Murgon Sportsgrounds this weekend to pick U18 and U20 teams to play for the Central Queensland Crows. Today, matches will get underway at 9:00am on two fields when Rockhampton play Gladstone (Field 1) in U20s, and Toowoomba play Outback in U18s (Field 2). This will be followed by three more matches at 10:00am, 11:00am and 12:00 noon (Burnett play on Field 2 in the 11:00am and noon matches), and then the official opening at 1:00pm. In the afternoon - between 2:00pm and 5:00pm - there'll be eight more games (4 on each field) betweeen the losers and winners of this morning's matches. A canteen will be operating on site. Spectator admission is $4 for adults, $2 for pensioners and $1 for students (U13s are free)
DJ iLLp Rhythm and Beats Party - Kingaroy
- DJ iLLp will be spinning the platters at the Commercial Hotel at the corner of Glendon and Haly Streets, Kingaroy, from 9:00pm until around 1:00am tonight. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1380.
BVRT 1000 Cycling Challenge
- The annual BVRT 1000 Cycling Challenge will be run on the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail between Esk and Yarraman today. This 96km race just gets bigger every year, and registered cyclists will be leaving Esk at 7:00am to face the daunting task of covering the track in 8 hours or less before being transported back to the start line. Tickets to take part in the event are $115 (or $150 if you want shuttle bus transport back to Esk afterwards) and there are prizes for the first three across the line, plus a special category for ebike riders. Tickets can be booked on Eventbrite.
David Lynch Jr At The Palace
- Popular South Burnett entertainer David Lynch Jr will be performing at the Palace Hotel in Drayton Street, Nanango from 7:30pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from Beau at the hotel on (07) 4163-1287.
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email.
Kingaroy Bowls Club Bingo
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
Proston Men's Shed
- The Proston Men's Shed will be meeting at the old railway station building at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston for its regular Saturday morning meeting today, kicking off with a cuppa at 9:00am. The meeting will run until around noon, and new members are always welcome. More details? Phone Geoff on 0439-694-000.
Pig On A Spit Night - Maidenwell
- Maidenwell's historic Maidenwell Hotel will be holding its monthly Pig On A Spit night from 6:00pm until late tonight (dinner is served from 6:00pm to 8:00pm). There'll be live entertainment and lots of cold beer, along with more pork than you can poke a fork at, all served up with with roast potatoes, pumpkin, corn, peas, carrots, applesauce and gravy for $17 per plate! The hotel also has roast beef and spit roasted chicken on the menu for those who prefer to go non-pork, plus a vegetarian option (ie vegies only), along with five Little Butcher meat tray raffles to raise funds for Tanduringie State School. Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone the pub on (07) 4164-6133.
D Branch Interclub - Nanango
- The Barambah Bowhunters And Field Archers Association will be holding a D Branch Interclub competition at their range in Bowhunters Road, Nanango (just next to Virgil's Artisans Village off the D'Aguilar Highway south of the CBD) from 8:00am to around 3:00pm today. Spectators are very welcome.
Saturday Soccer - Wondai and Kingaroy
- The 12th round of this season's local soccer competition will be played in Wondai and Kingaroy today. In Wondai, home team Barambah will play Kingaroy's Wests at the Wondai Soccer Fields north of the Wondai Sportsgrounds off the Bunya Highway north of the CBD, with the women's division kicking off at 1:40pm, followed by the men's division match at 3:00pm. And in Kingaroy, home team Gunners will play Nanango's Panthers on the lush fields of Tom Alford Oval in Oliver Bond Street, with the women's division playing at 3:15pm, followed by the men's division at 5:00pm. Canteens will be running at both venues and spectators are very welcome. Note: The local competition will be taking one week school holiday break next week; it will resume for Round 13 on July 13.
Swizzle - Kingaroy
- Popular duo Swizzle will be performing at the Kingaroy RSL's Tobruk Room in Markwell Street, Kingaroy from 7:30pm until around 11:30pm tonight. Admission is free. More details from the RSL on (07) 4162-1755.
Seafood & Sax - Murgon
- The Australian Hotel in Lamb Street, Murgon will be holding a Seafood & Sax Night with the South Burnett's very own Sultan of Sax Tom McKenzie from 5:30pm until late tonight. Seafood platters for one or two people will be available, along with the hotel's normal menu. More details from the pub: (07) 4168-1077
Tucker & Chop - Kingaroy
- Popular South Burnett duo Tucker and Chop will be performing in the front bar of the Kingaroy Hotel-Motel at the corner of Youngman and Haly Streets, Kingaroy from 8:00pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1677.
Saturday, 29 June 2019