On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Thursday, 06 June 2019
Queensland Winter Craft Festival - Kingaroy
- The Queensland Winter Craft Festival will be running throughout June and July at the Kingaroy Regional Art Gallery in Haly Street, Kingaroy (opposite the peanut silos). The Gallery will be hosting exhibitions from a number of South Burnett craft groups each month, and it will also be running a daily program of workshops covering everything from pom-pom and rug making to Kumihimo braiding, spinning and weaving, woodcrafts, dichroic glass and more. The Craft Festival is the most extensive event of its kind in Queensland, and you can get the full program of this month's workshops and craft-related activities as a PDF by clicking here. Today the Gallery will also be holding a “Meet The Artist” session with Judi Tompkins at 11:30am where she will share her processes, thoughts and skills as she leads guests through a demonstration of her unique approach to her art (Judi's rug hooking is on show at the Gallery this month). More details? Phone the Gallery on (07) 4189-9323.
St Mary's Catholic College Prep Open Day - Kingaroy
- St Mary's Catholic College in Kent Street, Kingaroy will be holding an Open Day from 9:00am to 10:30am this morning so that parents interested in sending their children to the College for Prep next year can inspect its buildings and facilities; meet the staff; and have any questions they'd like to ask answered. St Mary's offers education for girls and boys from Prep to Year 12, and it's not necessary to be a Catholic to enrol. The school teaches Benedictine values to students of all faiths (ie be respectful, responsible, safe, just and always try to do your best) and St Mary's students have an enviable record of academic and sporting achievements. Bookings aren't necessary to attend the Open Day, but you can arrange one at any time by phoning the school's office on (07) 4160-0900.
- Today is Queensland Day, the day that recognises Queensland's separation from New South Wales and its foundation as an independent mainland state on June 6, 1859. On that day, Queen Victoria signed the Letters Patent that brought Queensland into being and appointed our first Governor, Sir George Bowen. An Order In Council which gave the State its first Constitution was also issued that day to make the new State fully self-governing. This year marks Queensland's 160th birthday. Queensland Day has been officially celebrated since 1981, but our region won't be doing anything particularly special to mark it ... except, perhaps, basking in the afterglow of last night's State Of Origin result.
AFL Come & Try Night - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Saints' senior AFL teams are holding a Come & Try Night at their home ground at Lyle Vidler Oval in Youngman Street, Kingaroy (just next to Beangrowers) from 6:00pm to 7:00pm this evening. The event is open to girls and boys, and men and women, aged 15 and above who have an interest in joining the Saints' men's and women's squads.
Blackbutt-Yarraman QCWA Meeting
- The Blackbutt-Yarraman QCWA will be holding their first Thursday monthly meeting at the Blackbutt RSL at the corner of Douglas and Muir Streets, Blackbutt at 9:30am this morning. New members and visitors are always very welcome.
South Burnett Toastmasters
- South Burnett Toastmasters will be holding a meeting in the Anzac Room of Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy at 7:00pm this evening. Toastmasters is a great way to learn how to speak in public and boost your self-confidence, and new members are always very welcome! Meetings are held on the 1st, 3rd and 5th Thursdays of the month. More details? Visit the South Burnett Toastmasters website
Social Golf - Blackbutt
- The Blackbutt Golf Club at 51 Langton Road, Blackbutt will be running their weekly Sporters's Club game at 3:00pm this afternoon. This is a 6 hole event and everyone is welcome to come and enjoy a fun game of golf, as well as the chance to win a chook, golf balls or tees. Green fees are $5:00 for adults and $1:00 for children. More details? Phone the golf club on (07) 4163-0180.
Old Time Dancing Classes
- Old Time Dancing will be held at the South Burnett PCYC in Macalister Street, Murgon at 1:00pm to 3:00pm this afternoon. The class caters to all levels from beginners to advanced, all in a fun and social atmosphere lead by a qualified dance instructor. Class fees - which include tea and coffee - are just $4 if you're dancing, or $2 if you're watching. Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone the PCYC on (07) 4168-1889 or send them an email.
South Burnett Cake Decorating Association
- The South Burnett Cake Decorating Association will be holding their monthly meeting in The Studio at the Wondai Regional Art Gallery on the roundabout in Wondai from 9:30am to around 1:30pm today. Anyone with an interest in learning more about this fascinating art is very welcome. More details? Phone Gloria on (07) 4168-1952 or send her an email.
St Joseph's Bingo - Murgon
- St Joseph's Parish Hall in Angel Avenue, Murgon will be hosting bingo games from 7:30pm this evening. There'll be $1000 in prizes on offer as well as a canteen and lucky bingo tickets. Proceeds will go to aid St Joseph's school and community works.
Tai Chi Classes - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Arthritis & Osteoporosis Support Group will be running Tai Chi classes at the Uniting Church Hall in Alford Street, Kingaroy this morning. An intermediate class will run from 9:00am to 10:00am, followed by a beginners class from 10:15am to 11:15am. The classes aim to help relieve pain and improve quality of life, relieve stress, sharpen concentration, and improve balance, posture and mobility. Class fees are $3 for each attendance plus a $20 fee to Arthritis Queensland for insurance. Everyone is welcome. More details? Phone June 0419-026-760, Jan 0434-891-600 or Antonia 0431-149-816 (Note: these classes run every week during school terms except for public holidays).
Taras Hall Bingo - Nanango
- Bingo games will be held at Taras Hall immediately next to Nanango RSL in Henry Street, Nanango at 9:00am this morning (doors open at 9:00am; eyes down at 10:00am sharp). Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone the RSL on (07) 4163-1375.
Tai Chi Class - Kumbia
- Kumbia's weekly Tai Chi class will be held in the lunch room at the Kumbia Sports Ground from 8:30am to 9:30am this morning. The class is for beginners and new members are always welcome.
Thursday Yoga - Blackbutt
- Yoga classes will be held at the Blackbutt Memorial Hall in Bowman Road, Blackbutt from 9:00am to 10:00am this morning. Class fees are $4 and everyone is welcome. More details? Phone Pauline on 0437-606-699.
Kingaroy Community Kitchen
- The Kingaroy Community Kitchen will be holding its regular Thursday morning meeting at St Mary's Hall at 15 Albert Street, Kingaroy from 9:30am to around 1:00pm today. Community Kitchen members learn how to cook a variety of budget conscious home-cooked meals, then sit down together for a communal lunch afterwards to enjoy the results for the cost of a gold coin donation. New members are always welcome! More details? Phone Centacare Community Connections on (07) 4162-5439.
Blackbutt-Benarkin Aged Care Association
- The Blackbutt & Benarkin Aged Care Association will be holding its first Thursday of the month meeting at the Blackbutt Medical Centre at 91 Coulson Street in Blackbutt from 6:00pm to around 8:00pm this evening. New members are very welcome! More details? Email secretary Tracey Snell or phone Jeff Connor on 0448-946-702.
Nanango & District Garden Club
- The Nanango Garden Club will be holding their regular first Thursday of the month meeting at 10:00am this morning at a property in the Nanango area. New members are always very welcome. More details? More details? Phone Susan on (07) 4171-0619 or send her an email.
Rugby League Come & Try Afternoon - Nanango
- Nanango's Stags RLFC will be holding a "Come & Try" afternoon for children born in 2009 or 2010 at Stags Oval off the D'Aguilar Highway south of the CBD from 3:30pm to 4:30pm this afternoon. New players born in 2009 or 2010 can also take advantage of discounted fees until the end of the month.
Yarraman Progress Association
- The Yarraman Progress Association - which represents the interests of the Yarraman community - will be holding its regular first Thursday monthly meeting at the Yarraman Community Hall in Browne Street at 6:00pm this evening. New members are always welcome.
Wesleyan Food Hampers - Nanango
- Wesleyan Grace Community Food Hampers will be available at 36 Fitzroy Street, Nanango from 9:00am to 12:00 noon today. Food hampers are available for a modest price to people facing financial difficulties.
Alcoholics Anonymous - Kingaroy
- Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other to help solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership. A.A. isn't allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organisation or institution. AA meets in Kingaroy every Thursday from 7:30pm at the "Biscuit Tin", behind St Mary's Church Hall, 15 Albert Street, Kingaroy. For more information, phone (07) 4162-5747.
Thursday, 06 June 2019