On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 22 June 2019
2019 Wondai Country Festival
- The first day of the weekend-long, family friendly Wondai Country Festival will be held in and around Wondai today. The festival will kick off early at 7:00am and will incorporate markets (see entry below), a Parkrun, several Fun Runs/Walks, and a McEuen Forest Trail Run this afternoon. There'll also be a full day of live music in Coronation Park along with a bumper Wondai Markedts, and in the morning the Memphis Moovers will be performing their zany show for young and old alike. Then at 3:30pm this afternoon, the doors open at Wondai Town Hall for the 4:00pm Las Vegas In Wondai Show. Tickets to see this are just $20 for adults and $10 for children, and will be available at the door. Afterwards dinner will be available at the nearby Wondai RSL from 6:00pm. Tomorrow the Festival will conclude with a 10km Rail Trail run, a half marathon and a full 42km marathon along the South Burnett Rail Trail. You can get the complete entertainment program on our website, or find out more information on the Festival's website.
Wondai Country Markets
- The Wondai Regional Art Gallery's popular monthly Wondai Country Markets will be operating at Coronation Park in Wondai's CBD from 7:00am to 12:00 noon today. Today - because of the Wondai Country Festival (see above) there'll be a bumper rollup of at least 105 stallholders selling everything from fresh fruit and vegetables through to arts and crafts, useful knick-knacks, foods and clothing. There'll also be live entertainment; lots and lots of other stalls selling great gifts and goodies; and special hand-made treasures from local artisans available from the Art Gallery's "Studio" building just a short stroll across the park. The BBQs will also be firing up from 6:45am to dish out hearty breakfasts for early bargain hunters. New stallholders are always very welcome (stall fees range from $10 with power and water available, if needed) and you can obtain more details by phoning Joan Spicer on 0456-999-928.
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email. Note: Today's Parkrun is the curtain-raiser for this year's Wondai Country Festival, and it will be followed by the CROW FM Dash For Cash 1km foot races at 8:30am; the South Burnett CTC All Abilities Race at 8:45am; and a 2km Fun Run/Walk at 9:00am. A little later, the South Burnett Mountain Bike Club will be taking cyclists on a relaxed 30km ride from Wondai to Murgon and back along the Rail Trail; and at 2:30pm this afternoon there'll be a 10km McEuen Forestry Trail Run too. These latter races (but not the Parkrun or cycle ride) all have entry fees, and you can find out the details on the Festival's website.
Paint Recycling Day - Kingaroy
- Do you have old, unwanted paint in your shed? Did you know you're not allowed to put it in your wheelie bin and it costs $8 per litre to take to the dump? Happily, there is a solution: Crowies Paints has organised the Paintback scheme to come to Kingaroy today to help South Burnett residents dispose of their unwanted paint products for recycling. The Paintback people will be at the Kingaroy Showgrounds from 7:00am to 4:00pm and you can drop off up to 100 litres of paint products for free, regardless of whether you're a DIY enthusiast or a tradie. Kingaroy Scouts will also have a sausage sizzle on site. There are some restrictions on what you can bring along (eg: aerosols aren't allowed) but full details are
Queensland Winter Craft Festival - Kingaroy
- The Queensland Winter Craft Festival will be running throughout June and July at the Kingaroy Regional Art Gallery in Haly Street, Kingaroy (opposite the peanut silos). The Gallery will be hosting exhibitions from a number of South Burnett craft groups each month, and it will also be running a daily program of workshops covering everything from pom-pom and rug making to Kumihimo braiding, spinning and weaving, woodcrafts, dichroic glass and more. The Craft Festival is the most extensive event of its kind in Queensland, and you can get the full program of this month's workshops and craft-related activities as a PDF by clicking here. More details? Phone the Gallery on (07) 4189-9323. Note: This weekend the Gallery will also be hosting a two-day, $50 workshop on Making Paper Cards and Books.
Nanango Mini Market
- The Nanango Mini Market, which runs on the 4th Saturday of each month (except January) outside the Churchyard Opp Shop at the corner of Drayton and Burnett Streets in Nanango, will be running from 7:00am to around noon this morning. Apart from offering great bargains at great prices, the markets also have a $2 sausage sizzle, $1 soft drinks and gold coin donation tea and coffee if you get peckish. New stallholders are also very welcome, with stall fees starting at just $5. More details? Phone Sue on 0419-319-981.
Burton's Circus - Kingaroy
- Burton's Circus will be giving two performances at Kingaroy Showgrounds in Youngman Street, Kingaroy at 2:00pm this afternoon and 6:00pm tonight. Ticket prices range from $25 to $45 per head for adults, and $15 to $35 for children, depending on how close you want to sit to the main ring. They can be obtained at the door. More details? Phone the Circus on 0435-996-386.
SBJMX Racing Club Day - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Junior Motorcycle Club will be holding their first Racing Club Day for more than a decade at the club's recently upgraded track on Edenvale South Road, Kingaroy, today. Practice starts at 8:15am followed by racing from 10:00am. Riders from all over Queensland will be taking part. Entry is free for spectators and a canteen will be running all day, too. You can find out more details about today's race meeting on our website.
Kingaroy Bowls Club Bingo
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
Shrek The Musical - Kingaroy
- St Mary's Catholic College students will be giving their final performance of the Walt Disney musical "Shrek" at the Maryknoll Centre in the college's grounds at 10 Kent Street, Kingaroy at 6:00pm tonight. Tickets are $8 for adults and $5 for children and pensioners or $20 for a family pass (two adults and two children) and they can be obtained at the door. There'll also be food and refreshments available on site. You can read more about this show on our website.
Proston Men's Shed
- The Proston Men's Shed will be meeting at the old railway station building at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston for its regular Saturday morning meeting today, kicking off with a cuppa at 9:00am. The meeting will run until around noon, and new members are always welcome. More details? Phone Geoff on 0439-694-000.
Byte Nite - Murgon
- The South Burnett PCYC in Macalister Street, Murgon will be hosting a Byte Nite from 7:00pm to around 11:00pm tonight for Murgon and Cherbourg youngsters. Children can play a range of fun and entertaining games and pursue other amusements for free during the course of the night, as well as get a free meal and a ride home afterwards if they need one, all under the supervision of caring local volunteers. Byte Nite is an initiative of the PCYC and Murgon Business and Development Association to tackle youth crime in the district by giving youngsters something to do on a Saturday night, and anyone who'd like to volunteer to help this community-driven initiative in any way should contact Acting Sgt Rene Bond at the PCYC on (07) 4168-1889 for more information.
Onesie Party With Misfitz - Nanango
- The Palace Hotel in Drayton Street, Nanango will be holding a Onesie Party from 7:30pm until late tonight, accompanied by live music from popular South Burnett duo Misfitz. Everyone is welcome, there's no entry charge, and if you come a little earlier you can warm up with a great curry dinner from Food Junction in front of the pub. More details? Phone Beau at the Palace on (07) 4163-1287.
Murgon Men's Shed
- The Murgon Men's Shed will be holding a meeting at their shed in Macalister Street, Murgon (the former Murgon Railway Station) today. The Men's Shed meets every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to work on projects and new members are always welcome.
Cooyar Spit Roast
- The Cooyar Hotel on the New England Highway at Cooyar will be holding a Spit Roast Night with live music from Lisa in their Outback Bar behind the pub from 6:30pm until late tonight. The cost is just $20 per head for a great two-course winter feed, but seating is limited so a booking is a must: (07) 4692-6185. There's also free camping nearby if you'd like to stay over.
Ken Baines Disco - Kingaroy
- A Ken Baines Disco with a State of Origin theme will be held at Saint Mary's Parish Hall in Albert Street, Kingaroy, from 6:00pm to 9:00pm this evening. About 30 young people with disabilities usually attend, along with their carers. Everyone is welcome!
Tyson Clancy-Jones & DJ Ty - Kingaroy
- South Burnett entertainer Tyson Clancy-Jones will be performing in the front bar of the Kingaroy Hotel-Motel at the corner of Youngman and Haly Streets, Kingaroy from 6:30pm until 10:00pm tonight, followed by DJ Ty who'll be spinning the platters until late. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1677.
Skin & Bone - Kingaroy
- Popular South Burnett 5-piece band "Skin & Bone" will be performing at the Commercial Hotel at the corner of Glendon and Haly Streets, Kingaroy from 8:30pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1380.
Seafood & Sax - Murgon
- The Australian Hotel in Lamb Street, Murgon will be holding a Seafood & Sax Night with the South Burnett's very own Sultan of Sax Tom McKenzie from 5:30pm until late tonight. Seafood platters for one or two people will be available, along with the hotel's normal menu. More details from the pub: (07) 4168-1077
Combined Training, Jumping Equitation & Dressage Day - Nanango
- The South Burnett Equestrian Group will be holding a Combined Training, Jumping Equitation & Dressage Day at the Nanango Pony and Hack Club from 9:00am this morning. Riders in all classes are welcome to take part, and there will be ribbons for every class, along with two trophies. More details? Phone Corby on 0427-632-732.
Saturday AFL - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Saints' senior AFL teams will be playing home games today at Lyle Vidler Oval in Youngman Street, Kingaroy (just next to Beangrowers). The Saints women's team will be taking to the field at 12:30pm to play South Toowoomba, and they'll be followed by the men's team at 2:30pm playing against Highfields. Both Saints sides have had a tough season so far - which is unusual for them - and both squads are currently sitting at (or very near) the bottom of the Darling Downs ladder. However, the ever-resourceful Saints are also hoping to turn things around and playing in front of a supportive home crowd may be just the tonic they need to get back up there with Cazaly. A bar and canteen will be operating on site and - as always - spectators are very welcome!
Rugby League - Murgon, Wondai & Nanango
- Two A Grade rugby league games will be played this weekend. At Murgon, the Mustangs will take on the Cherbourg Hornets at 3:15pm (junior games start at 8:30am). At Wondai, the Wolves will play Kingaroy at 3:00pm (junior games start at 10:00am). At Nanango, junior games between Nanango and Central Burnett will start at 9:00am (U8s), followed by U10s (10:00am), U12s (11:00am) and U14s (noon).
Saturday Soccer - Wondai and Kingaroy
- The 11th round of this season's local soccer competition will be played in Wondai and Kingaroy today. In Wondai, home team Barambah will play Kingaroy's Gunners at the Wondai Soccer Fields north of the Wondai Sportsgrounds off the Bunya Highway north of the CBD, with the women's division kicking off at 1:40pm, followed by the men's division match at 3:00pm. And in Kingaroy, home teams Wests will play Nanango's Panthers on the lush fields of Tom Alford Oval in Oliver Bond Street, with the women's division playing at 3:15pm, followed by the men's division at 5:00pm. Canteens will be running at both venues and spectators are very welcome.
Kevin Smith - Kingaroy
- Entertainer Kevin Smith will be performing at the Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy from 7:30pm until around 11:30pm tonight. Admission is free. More details from the RSL on (07) 4162-1755.
Saturday, 22 June 2019