On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 01 June 2019
St Mary's Catholic College Open Day - Kingaroy
- St Mary's Catholic College in Kent Street, Kingaroy will be holding its annual Open Day from 10:00am to 1:00pm this morning so that parents interested in sending their children to the College can inspect its buildings and facilities; meet the staff; and have any questions they'd like to ask answered. St Mary's offers education for girls and boys from Prep to Year 12, and it's not necessary to be a Catholic to enrol. The school teaches Benedictine values to students of all faiths (ie be respectful, responsible, safe, just and always try to do your best) and St Mary's students have an enviable record of academic and sporting achievements. Bookings aren't necessary to attend the Open Day, but you can arrange one at any time by phoning the school's office on (07) 4160-0900.
Nanango Country Markets
- The Nanango Show Society will be holding their regular monthly Country Markets at the Nanango Showgrounds in Cairns Street from 6:00am to around 12:00 noon today. As usual, the markets will feature a wide variety of craft stalls, new and used goods, plants, poultry and pets. The Nanango Markets are the largest rural market in south east Queensland and attract up to 420 stallholders. But new stallholders are always very welcome too! More info? Phone the Markets on (0427) 631-273 during business hours.
Kingaroy Bowls Club Bingo
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
Sharing Our Culture Reconciliation Day - Blackbutt
- Reconciliation Week runs from May 27 to June 3, and today the Blackbutt Art Gallery will be marking it with a Reconciliation Week celebration at the Blackbutt Memorial Hall in Bowman Road that will run from 9:00am to 3:00pm. As was the case last year, the day will include a Welcome to Country, a Smoking Ceremony, Aboriginal dances, demonstrations, information and art displays. There'll also be country music, lots of fun activities for children and story telling. Everyone is welcome, and you can read more about what last year's inaugural event was like (and see photos) on our website. More information? Phone Val on 0437-474-954.
Proston Men's Shed
- The Proston Men's Shed will be meeting at the old railway station building at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston for its regular Saturday morning meeting today, kicking off with a cuppa at 9:00am. The meeting will run until around noon, and new members are always welcome. More details? Phone Geoff on 0439-694-000.
Queensland Winter Craft Festival - Kingaroy
- The Queensland Winter Craft Festival will be running throughout June and July at the Kingaroy Regional Art Gallery in Haly Street, Kingaroy (opposite the peanut silos). The Gallery will be hosting exhibitions from a number of South Burnett craft groups each month, and it will also be running a daily program of workshops covering everything from pom-pom and rug making to Kumihimo braiding, spinning and weaving, woodcrafts, dichroic glass and more. The Craft Festival is the most extensive event of its kind in Queensland, and you can get the full program of this month's workshops and craft-related activities as a PDF by clicking here. More details? Phone the Gallery on (07) 4189-9323.
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email.
Dance - Inverlaw Hall
- A dance will be held at Inverlaw Hall on the Burrandowan Road (roughly 20km from Kingaroy) from 8:00pm until late this evening. Music will be supplied by Chris & Daryl and there'll be the usual great supper and novelties, along with a Lucky Door draw. Admission fees are $10.00 for adults, $5.00 for high school students and everyone is welcome! More details? Phone June on (07) 4162-1195 or David on 0459-228-882.
Saturday Soccer - Nanango and Kingaroy
- The eighth round of this season's local soccer competition will be played in Nanango and Kingaroy today. In Nanango, home team Panthers will play Kingaroy's Wests at the Burnett Street Sports Fields at the end of Burnett Street, Nanango, with the women's division kicking off at 1:40pm, followed by the men's division match at 3:00pm. And in Kingaroy, home team Gunners will battle it out against the Barambah Bears on the lush green fields of Tom Alford Oval in Oliver Bond Street, with the women's division playing at 3:15pm, followed by the men's division at 5:00pm. Canteens will be running at both venues and spectators are very welcome.
Murgon Men's Shed
- The Murgon Men's Shed will be holding a meeting at their shed in Macalister Street, Murgon (the former Murgon Railway Station) today. The Men's Shed meets every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to work on projects and new members are always welcome.
Orchestra Workshop - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Community Orchestra will be holding a workshop for "young" orchestra members (ie those who may not have much experience playing in an orchestra) at the Uniting Church Hall at the corner of Alford and Youngman Streets in Kingaroy from 9:00am to around 4:00pm today. This free workshop is open to musicians of any age who are at least AMEB level 1 standard, and several specialist tutors and conductors along with SBCO mentors will be teaching new skills and helping participants build confidence. You can find out more details and/or register to take part by sending an email.
Meditation Workshop - Nanango
- Yoga teacher Craig Harmer will be holding a Meditation Workshop at the QCWA Rooms in Fitzroy Street, Nanango from 10:00am to 2:00pm today. The workshop will teach participants easy, effective meditation techniques are course fees are $36. More details? Bookings? Phone Craig on 0488-442-283.
Natalie Fenton At The Palace - Nanango
- Popular South Burnett entertainer Natalie Fenton will be performing at the Palace Hotel in Drayton Street, Nanango from 7:30pm until late tonight. This is only the second time Natalie has been seen at the Palace this year - she rocked the house down last time - and there's no admission fee. More details? Phone Beau at the Palace on (07) 4163-1287.
Native Vegetation And Fire Management Workshop - Blackbutt
- A Native Vegetation and Fire Management workshop will be held at the Taromeo Rural Fire Brigade's shed in Bowman Road, Blackbutt from 9:00am to 4:00pm today. The workshop would be of interest to landholders who want to improving the condition of native vegetation and manage risks such as fire, weeds and pests on their properties. Topics that will be covered include understanding your land types and native vegetation; property mapping; tools to develop a Property Plan; fire management planning advice; and how to manage weeds, pests, grazing and erosion. More details? Phone Vanessa on (07) 3816-9720 or Bruce on 0427-013-284.
Saturday AFL: - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Saints Women's Squad will be playing South Toowoomba's Bombers at Lyle Vidler Oval next to Beangrowers in Youngman Street, Kingaroy at 12:30pm today. The Saints' women's side have yet to win a match this season, but today could be the game that changes their fortunes. A canteen and bar will be operating on site and spectators are very welcome. Alternately, fans of the men's squad can journey to Rockville Oval in Toowoomba where the Saints will be playing Coolaroo at 2:30pm this afternoon.
Smooth & Groove - Kingaroy
- Veteran entertainers Smooth & Groove will be performing at Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy from 7:00pm to around 11:00pm tonight. Admission is free. More details from the RSL on (07) 4162-1755.
Reinke Scrub Walk - Proston
- A special walk through Reinke Scrub at Proston with visiting native plant experts Glenn Leiper and Dr Bill McDonald will leave the Reinke Scrub car park in The Weir Road at Proston at 10:00am this morning (proceed to the end of Rodney Street and follow The Weir Road for a few kilometres to get there). Participants should arrive around 9:30am with a hat, a water bottle, closed-in walking shoes and lots of questions - the walk itself is free.
Tyson Clancy-Jones & DJ Ty - Kingaroy
- Popular South Burnett entertainer Tyson Clancy-Jones will be performing in the front bar of the Kingaroy Hotel-Motel at the corner of Youngman and Haly Streets, Kingaroy from 6:30pm until 10:00pm tonight, followed by DJ Ty who'll be spinning the platters until late. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1677.
Saturday Rugby League - Cherbourg, Wondai and Nanango
- Rugby league fans should head north to Cherbourg or Wondai today. In Cherbourg, the Hornets will play Central Burnett at Jack O'Chin Oval in U8s at 10:00am; U10s at 11:00am; and U12s at noon. This will be followed by an A-grade clash between the Hornets and Kingaroys Red Ants at 1:00pm. In Wondai, the Wolves will play Murgon's Mustangs at the Wondai Sportsgrounds in U6s/U7s/U9s at 8:45am; U8s at 9:35am; U10s at 10:20am; U12s at 11:10am; U11s at noon; and U14s at 12:50pm. These games will be followed by an U16s match between Murgon and Brothers at 1:50pm; and then an A-grade stoush between the Wolves and Mustangs at 3:00pm. Finally, in Nanango, the junior Stags will play Kingaroy's junior Red Ants at Fred Kassulke Oval in U6s/U8s at 8:00am; U7s/U9s at 9:00am; U10s at 10:00am; U12s at 11:00am; U11s at noon; and U14s at 1:00pm.
DJ iLLp Rhythm and Beats Party - Kingaroy
- DJ iLLp and his guests will be spinning the platters at the Commercial Hotel at the corner of Glendon and Haly Streets, Kingaroy from 9:00pm until around 1:00am tonight. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1380.
Dog Wash & Dry - Proston
- Proston Rural Supplies in Murphy Way, Proston will be holding a Dog Wash & Dry from 8:30am to around noon today to tidy up pampered pets and help fundraise for a local's trip to the World Scout Jamboree in the USA. A towel wash and dry is $10 and a blow-dry wash and dry is $15. You can book in your dog(s) by phoning Kerry on 0421-808-643.
Saturday, 01 June 2019