On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 15 June 2019
- The third Saturday of the month Kingaroy Markets will be held at the southern end of the Kingaroy Showgrounds in Youngman Street, Kingaroy from 7:00am to around 12:00pm today. The markets are jointly run by the Kingaroy Rotary Club and Kingaroy Show Society and feature a great array of arts, crafts, fruit and flower stalls, along with a Rotary Club sausage sizzle if you get peckish. New stallholders are always very welcome! More details? Phone Patrick on 0419-648-754.
Burton's Circus - Kingaroy
- Burton's Circus will be giving two performances at Kingaroy Showgrounds in Youngman Street, Kingaroy at 2:00pm this afternoon and 6:00pm tonight. Ticket prices range from $25 to $45 per head for adults, and $15 to $35 for children, depending on how close you want to sit to the main ring. They can be obtained at the door. More details? Phone the Circus on 0435-996-386.
Bunnings Opening Celebrations - Kingaroy
- Bunnings Warehouse on the D'Aguilar Highway south of Kingaroy's CBD will be continuing their opening fortnight of celebrations with a family fun day running from 9:00am to 2:00pm today. The event will offer adults the chance to browse through the store while children amuse themselves with a jumping castle, face painting, popcorn, snow cones, slushies, fairy floss, a photo booth and an animal farm. Popular characters PJ Masks will also be holding a Meet and Greet between 11:00am and 2:00pm for young and not-so-young fans. Everyone is welcome!
Murgon Men's Shed
- The Murgon Men's Shed will be holding a meeting at their shed in Macalister Street, Murgon (the former Murgon Railway Station) today. The Men's Shed meets every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to work on projects and new members are always welcome.
Kingaroy Dance Academy Winter Recital
- The Kingaroy Dance Academy will be holding their Winter Recital at Kingaroy Town Hall in Glendon Street, Kingaroy from 5:00pm to around 8:00pm this evening (doors open at 4:00pm and close at 4:45pm). The recital is one of the Academy's two major shows of the year and provides an opportunity for students to show their parents and the general public what they've been studying. Tickets are $15 for adults and $12 for children (under-3s are free if sitting in a parent's lap) and they can be booked online.
Rugby League - Kingaroy & Nanango
- There's a big day of rugby league in Kingaroy today with junior games against Cherbourg and Murgon from 8:30am, U14s against Chinchilla at 12:30pm, and U15s against Oakey at 1:30pm followed by an A Grade double-header: At 3:00pm, Kingaroy will take on Wondai; and at 4:30pm, Cherbourg will play Murgon. At Nanango, the Stags junior teams will be playing the young Wolves from 8:30am with the U14s at 1:30pm.
Byte Night - Murgon
- The South Burnett PCYC in Macalister Street, Murgon will be hosting a Byte Night from 7:00pm to around 11:00pm tonight for Murgon and Cherbourg youngsters. Children can play a range of fun and entertaining games and pursue other amusements for free during the course of the night, as well as get a free meal and a ride home afterwards if they need one, all under the supervision of caring local volunteers. Byte Nite is an initiative of the PCYC and Murgon Business and Development Association to tackle youth crime in the district by giving youngsters something to do on a Saturday night, and anyone who'd like to volunteer to help this community-driven initiaitive in any way should contact Acting Sgt Rene Bond at the PCYC on (07) 4168-1889 for more information.
Taste The Trail Bike Ride
- South Burnett Food Ambassador Jason Ford will be leading a "Taste The Trail" ride along the South Burnett Rail Trail between Kingaroy and Wondai today. At 8:00am, a maximum 50 cyclists will begin to assemble at O'Neill Square in Kingaroy for a 9:00am kick-off, with stops at Memerambi, Wooroolin and Tingoora tasting unusual local foods before the ride concludes at Wondai. Tickets to take part in the ride are $50 per head and can be booked online. You can also read more about today's event on our website.
Bowenfels Angus Females Of The Future Sale
- A Bowenfels Angus Females Of The Future Sale will be held at the Coolabunia Saleyards on the D'Aguiilar Highway at Coolabunia at 9:00am this morning.
Queensland Winter Craft Festival - Kingaroy
- The Queensland Winter Craft Festival will be running throughout June and July at the Kingaroy Regional Art Gallery in Haly Street, Kingaroy (opposite the peanut silos). The Gallery will be hosting exhibitions from a number of South Burnett craft groups each month, and it will also be running a daily program of workshops covering everything from pom-pom and rug making to Kumihimo braiding, spinning and weaving, woodcrafts, dichroic glass and more. The Craft Festival is the most extensive event of its kind in Queensland, and you can get the full program of this month's workshops and craft-related activities as a PDF by clicking here. More details? Phone the Gallery on (07) 4189-9323.
Robert Early - Kingaroy
- Entertainer Robert Early will be performing at Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy from 7:00pm to around 11:00pm tonight. Admission is free. More details from the RSL on (07) 4162-1755.
Proston State School Golf Day
- Proston State School will be holding its annual Golf Day fundraiser at the Proston Golf Club on Brigooda Road west of town from 12:30pm until late tonight. After a fun day on the greens - courtesy of Stanwell Corporation and Australia Post - guests can unwind back at the club house with live music, a bar, an auction around 5:30pm and multi-draw raffles. Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone Cindy on 0428-680-272 or Felicity on 0407-574-133. Note: Today's event will be raising funds for Year 6's trip to Canberra to get a close-up look at the nation's capital.
Zone Duo - Kingaroy
- Party band Zone Duo will be performing at the Commercial Hotel at the corner of Glendon and Haly Streets, Kingaroy from 8:30pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1380.
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email.
Kingaroy Bowls Club Bingo
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
Proston Men's Shed
- The Proston Men's Shed will be meeting at the old railway station building at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston for its regular Saturday morning meeting today, kicking off with a cuppa at 9:00am. The meeting will run until around noon, and new members are always welcome. More details? Phone Geoff on 0439-694-000.
Carrollee Hotel Renovation Celebrations
- The Carrollee Hotel in King Street, Kingaroy will be celebrating the completion of their recent renovations today with a day long-entertainment program running from 11:00am until late. Popular soloist Alex The Frenchman will be performing from 1:00pm to 5:00pm, and he'll be followed by local duo Misfitz from 7:00pm until around 11:00pm. There'll also be Kingaroy Red Ant meat tray raffles running from noon; a TAB losing ticket draw and a Punter's Challenge in the public bar at 1:00pm; and lots of prizes and giveaways throughout the day, plus free canapes and nibbles after the sun goes down. Everyone is welcome!
Elay Music - Kingaroy
- Elay Music will be performing in the front bar of the Kingaroy Hotel-Motel at the corner of Youngman and Haly Streets, Kingaroy from 8:00pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1677.
Seafood Buffet - Murgon
- The Murgon Services Club in Lamb Street, Murgon will be holding an all-you-can-eat Seafood Buffet from 5:30pm onwards tonight offering a great array of seafoods fresh from the coast, plus desserts. Tickets are $50 per head for adults and $15 for children under 12, but these nights are very popular so a booking is essential: (07) 4168-1819
Moore Hall Markets
- The monthly Moore Hall Markets will be held outside Moore Soldiers Memorial Hall on the D'Aguilar Highway at Moore from 6:30am to around noon today. The markets feature arts, crafts and bric-a-brac and the nearby Kai Lounge will be open for morning teas and lunches.
Saturday Soccer - Nanango and Kingaroy
- The tenth round of this season's local soccer competition will be played in Nanango and Kingaroy today. In Nanango, home team Panthers will play the Barambah Bears at the Burnett Street Sports Fields at the end of Burnett Street, Nanango, with the women's division kicking off at 1:40pm, followed by the men's division match at 3:00pm. And in Kingaroy, home teams Wests and Gunners will battle it out on the lush fields of Tom Alford Oval in Oliver Bond Street, with the women's division playing at 3:15pm, followed by the men's division at 5:00pm. Canteens will be running at both venues and spectators are very welcome.
Seafood & Sax - Murgon
- The Australian Hotel in Lamb Street, Murgon will be holding a Seafood & Sax Night with the South Burnett's very own Sultan of Sax Tom McKenzie from 8:00pm until later tonight. Seafood platters for one or two people will be available, along with the hotel's normal menu. More details from the pub: (07) 4168-1077
Saturday Golf - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Golf Club on the Bunya Highway south-west of town will be holding its annual Walter and Eliza Hall Charity Open today. This will be a single stableford for men and women and will run from 8:00am to around 5:00pm. Timesheets and further info can be obtained from the golf club on (07) 4162-1720.
Street Closure - Kingaroy
- Kingaroy's Alford Street will be closed between Youngman and William Streets (ie in front of Kentucky Fried) from 7:00am to around 4:00pm today and tomorrow so Council workers can replace water mains. Normal drive-in access to Kentucky Fried should be available after sunset.
Saturday, 15 June 2019