On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 08 June 2019
Bunnings Opening Celebrations - Kingaroy
- Bunnings Warehouse on the D'Aguilar Highway south of Kingaroy's CBD will be continuing their opening fortnight of celebrations with a family fun day running from 9:00am to 2:00pm today. The event will offer adults the chance to browse through the store while children amuse themselves with a jumping castle, face painting, popcorn, snow cones, slushies, fairy floss, a photo booth and an animal farm. Popular Sesame Street characters Elmo and Zoe will also be holding a Meet and Greet between 11:00am and 2:00pm for young and not-so-young fans. Everyone is welcome!
South Burnett Sub-Chamber Dinner - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Sub-Chamber which represents all the region's agricultural show societies will be holding its annual dinner in the Main Pavilion at Kingaroy Showgrounds in Youngman Street, Kingaroy at 6:00pm this evening. A highlight of the dinner will be the selection of the South Burnett's Miss Showgirl and Rural Ambassador for 2019, who will go on to represent the region at this year's Ekka. Tickets are $25 per head and can be booked by phoning the South Burnett National Show Society's office on (07) 4163-1273.
Saturday AFL - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Saints' senior AFL teams will be playing home games today against Toowoomba at Lyle Vidler Oval in Youngman Street, Kingaroy (just next to Beangrowers). The Saints women's team will be taking to the field at 12:30pm, and they'll be followed by the men's team at 2:30pm. Both Saints sides have had a tough season so far - which is unusual for them - but they still have time to turn things around. Playing in front of a supportive home crowd may be just the magic they need to get back up there with Cazaly. A bar and canteen will be operating on site and spectators are very welcome!
Wooroolin Community Markets
- The Wooroolin Community Markets will be held inside the Wooroolin QCWA Rooms on the Bunya Highway at Wooroolin from 6:00am until around 12:00 noon this morning. The markets offer stalls, a sausage sizzle, fresh produce, plants and crafts and are run on the 2nd Saturday of every month except January. Stall fees are just $7.50 and new stallholders are always welcome. More details? Phone Janice on 0439-073-160 or send her an email.
Queensland Winter Craft Festival - Kingaroy
- The Queensland Winter Craft Festival will be running throughout June and July at the Kingaroy Regional Art Gallery in Haly Street, Kingaroy (opposite the peanut silos). The Gallery will be hosting exhibitions from a number of South Burnett craft groups each month, and it will also be running a daily program of workshops covering everything from pom-pom and rug making to Kumihimo braiding, spinning and weaving, woodcrafts, dichroic glass and more. The Craft Festival is the most extensive event of its kind in Queensland, and you can get the full program of this month's workshops and craft-related activities as a PDF by clicking here. More details? Phone the Gallery on (07) 4189-9323.
- The Yarraman Progress Association's Yarraman Markets will be held on the vacant block at the corner of the D'Aguilar and New England Highways in Yarraman from 7:00am until around 12:00 noon today (ie opposite Bendigo Bank). The markets feature trash and treasure stalls, car boot sellers, local produce and hand-made goods, as well as food stalls, and are held on the second Saturday of every month. Everyone is welcome and if you'd like to book a stall yourself - it's only $5! - call Joe on (0459) 638-282
Byte Night - Murgon
- The South Burnett PCYC in Macalister Street, Murgon will be hosting a Byte Night from 7:00pm to around 11:00pm tonight for Murgon and Cherbourg youngsters. Children can play a range of fun and entertaining games and pursue other amusements for free during the course of the night, as well as get a free meal and a ride home afterwards if they need one, all under the supervision of caring local volunteers. Byte Nite is an initiative of the PCYC and Murgon Business and Development Association to tackle youth crime in the district by giving youngsters something to do on a Saturday night, and anyone who'd like to volunteer to help this community-driven initiaitive in any way should contact Acting Sgt Rene Bond at the PCYC on (07) 4168-1889 for more information.
Mr Q - Kingaroy
- Popular South Burnett band Mr Q will be performing at the Commercial Hotel at the corner of Glendon and Haly Streets, Kingaroy from 8:30pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1380.
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email.
Kingaroy Bowls Club Bingo
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
Footsteps - Kingaroy
- Entertainers Footsteps will be performing at Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy from 7:00pm to around 11:00pm tonight. Admission is free. More details from the RSL on (07) 4162-1755.
Les Cecil Commemorative Ride
- An attempt to break cyclist Les Cecil's 80-year-old record-breaking 240km cycle ride from Kingaroy to Brisbane will be made today over a 240km course between Kilkivan and Toogoolawah along the South Burnett and Brisbane Valley Rail Trails and several local roads. Riders taking part will set off from Kilkivan at 6:00am and will follow a course that will conclude at Toogoolawah around 6:00pm tonight. You can read more about this unusual event on our website
Proston Men's Shed
- The Proston Men's Shed will be meeting at the old railway station building at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston for its regular Saturday morning meeting today, kicking off with a cuppa at 9:00am. The meeting will run until around noon, and new members are always welcome. More details? Phone Geoff on 0439-694-000.
Murgon Men's Shed
- The Murgon Men's Shed will be holding a meeting at their shed in Macalister Street, Murgon (the former Murgon Railway Station) today. The Men's Shed meets every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to work on projects and new members are always welcome.
Saturday Soccer - Nanango and Kingaroy
- The ninth round of this season's local soccer competition will be played in Nanango and Kingaroy today. In Nanango, home team Panthers will play Kingaroy's Gunners at the Burnett Street Sports Fields at the end of Burnett Street, Nanango, with the women's division kicking off at 1:40pm, followed by the men's division match at 3:00pm. And in Kingaroy, home team Wests will battle it out against the Barambah Bears on the lush fields of Tom Alford Oval in Oliver Bond Street, with the women's division playing at 3:15pm, followed by the men's division at 5:00pm. Canteens will be running at both venues and spectators are very welcome.
Country Blue - Hivesille
- Easy listening music duo Country Blue will be performing at the Hivesville Hotel in Main Street, Hivesville from 6:00pm until late tonight. Meals will also be available and there's no entry fee. Everyone is welcome! More details from the hotel on (07) 4168-9876.
Measure Twice Cut Once - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy QCWA Twilight Branch will be holding a free "Measure Twice Cut Once" fabric cutting demonstration, morning tea and networking session at the QCWA Rooms at 122 Kingaroy Street, Kingaroy (just next to the bakery) from 9:30am to 1:00pm this morning. The demonstration will be of interest to anyone who wants to improve their sewing skills, and other crafts will be on display too. All women are welcome! More details? Phone 0423-116-824
David Lynch Jr - Kingaroy
- Popular entertainer David Lynch Jr will be performing at the Kingaroy Hotel-Motel at the corner of Youngman and Haly Streets in Kingaroy from 8:00pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1677.
Mayor's Charity Ball - Kingaroy
- SOLD OUT: The annual black tie Mayor's Charity Ball will be held at Kingaroy Town Hall in Glendon Street, Kingaroy tonight. The evening will begin with entertainment in the Glendon Street forecourt at 5:30pm and will be followed by a sit-down dinner inside the hall showcasing regional food. The night will also feature comedian Joel Ozborn, singer Franky Smart, a charity auction and dancing. Note: Tickets to this $165-per-head event were completely sold out last week.
Saturday, 08 June 2019