November 16, 2020
Adelaide has been declared a COVID-19 “hotspot” by the Queensland Government following the confirmation of a novel coronavirus outbreak in South Australia.
On Monday morning, it was confirmed there were now 17 cases of COVID-19 infection linked to a cluster in Adelaide’s northern suburbs.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said the new border restrictions would come into effect from 11:59pm on Monday night.
Anyone who arrived in Queensland after that time – who had been in Adelaide since Monday last week – would have to go into mandatory hotel quarantine at their own expense.
Anyone already in Queensland – or arriving on Monday – who had been in Adelaide since last Monday should immediately get tested, even if they have no symptoms, and go into self-isolation until 14 days have passed since they left Adelaide.
Premier Palaszczuk said Queensland was monitoring the situation in South Australia “very closely”.
Queensland has now gone 63 days since the last case of community transmission.
There are eight active cases, all linked to returned travellers.
“Queenslanders have been doing an extraordinary job,” Premier Palaszczuk said.
South Australian Premier Steven Marshall said hundreds of people connected with the Adelaide cluster were now in isolation.
They include staff from an aged care facility and Yatala Labour Prison.
A Hungry Jacks restaurant, two schools and a supermarket have also closed.
The outbreak is believed to be linked to a hotel used by incoming travellers.
NB. All of Victoria and the Greater Sydney area are still declared “hotspots” by Queensland Health.