March 21, 2019
South Burnett Regional Council has missed out again on funding for the multi-million dollar Kingaroy CBD Revitalisation project.
Council had sought $4 million from the Federal Government to get the much-discussed project off the ground.
If successful, Council had planned to add $4 million of its own funds to the project.
At a special meeting held in November last year, councillors voted to apply for $4 million infrastructure funding from Round 3 of the Building Better Regions Fund.
The total of $8 million would be spent on:
However, the results of Round 3 of the Federal Government’s Building Better Regions Fund have been announced and the Kingaroy project is not among them.
Nine not-for-profit groups and councils in the Wide Bay Burnett were successful.
Round 3 was highly competitive with 915 applications received in two streams: for Infrastructure Projects and Community Investments.
South Burnett Regional Council had previously applied for $2 million in Round 2 of the funding program for the Kingaroy project, but that was knocked back last June.
On Thursday, Mayor Keith Campbell said he was disappointed Council’s second application had been unsuccessful, but this would not prevent a start being made on upgrading Kingaroy’s CBD.
He said Council’s engineers were currently developing costings for two projects, and they would be brought to a Council meeting for approval in the near future.
One of them was an upgrade of the current parking area behind Kingaroy Street’s banks to allow caravan parking as well as cars; and another was the introduction of caravan parking bays in Glendon Street.
Some work on upgrading associated underground infrastructure would also be carried out as part of both projects.
“These two projects were both identified as high priority items during Council’s public consultation meetings,” the Mayor said.
“Other parts of the CBD upgrade will be rolled out progressively as funds permit.”
Three South Burnett groups received grants under the Community Investments stream: