June 1, 2016
The Kingaroy Winter Craft Festival is currently underway at the Kingaroy Art Gallery – and the nearby precinct – with a range of events scheduled over the next two months.
In the Main Gallery, an exhibition entitled “Tangled Threads 16” will be on display in June.
This features creative textiles using diverse techniques and materials.
In Gallery 2, fashion created for the local climate using natural fibres will be on display, as well as demonstrations of spinning.
From June 1-6, there will be a number of activities in Gallery 3, adjacent to the 1913 Council Chambers.
- June 1 – Jumping Ant Arts Open Day
- June 2 – Silk painting demonstration
- June 5 – Jewellery making demonstration
- June 6 & 7 – Painting groups in action
- June 8-15 – Exhibition and demonstrations of stitchery and pyrography
- June 16-22 – Exhibition, display and daily demonstrations of rugmaking and vintage ephemera
- June 23-30 – QCWA daily demonstrations of handcraft and fine art
The festival will continue in July with an exhibitions of woodcraft and paper tole taking over the Main Gallery area.
The South Burnett Woodcrafters will be showcasing wood carving, wood turning and other woodwork crafts.
Local paper tole enthusiast Rosemarie Matthews-Frederick will have an exhibition of her work.
In Gallery 2, the Barambah Pottery touring exhibition – currently on show in Childers – will be featured,
Barambah pottery was a commercial training venture which ran at Cherbourg from 1969 to 1986. Many of the pieces are now collectors’ items.
The display of pottery will be complemented by archival photographs.
In Gallery 3, and in buildings adjacent to the gallery, more demonstrations are planned for July including:
- July 1-8 – Display by the South Burnett Woodcrafters
- July 5 – Chip carving and pen turning
- July 9-16 – Daily demonstrations by members of Jumping Ant Arts Inc
- July 17-24 – Paper tole demonstrations by Rosemarie Matthews-Frederick
- July 24-30 – Leadlighter and artist Lesley Fewtrell will be using glass, pottery, metal to make mosaics, and acrylic and pastel painting will be on display and for sale.