January 14, 2014
The 47m tall Jimna Fire Tower – which was built in 1977 and is claimed to be the tallest man-made wooden fire tower of its type in the southern hemisphere – is continuing to attract controversy.
The tower, which offered 360 degree views over the surrounding forestry areas, was closed to tourists in 2006 because of its condition and was later removed from the Queensland Heritage Register.
Supporters say the tower formerly attracted more than 30,000 tourists a year.
The Jimna Forest Action Group has been calling for the tower to be re-developed into a tourism site and this week accused the State Government of “leaving it to rot”.
However, a spokesperson for Member for Nanango Deb Frecklington said today $250,000 had already been spent on its preservation and $90,000 had been budgeted to be spent on the tower in 2013-14.
“Depending on the extent of timber decay revealed during the rectification work, it is expected that further funds may be required to complete all necessary stabilisation work,” the spokesperson said.
“Following the completion of the preservation, rectification and stabilisation works the tower will comply with current wind load standards. However, it will not comply with current codes of practice and must remain closed to public access.”