September 18, 2013
Kingaroy-based ambulance officer David Bruce was presented with a Queensland Star Care award by Police and Community Safety Minister Jack Dempsey this morning in a ceremony at the Kedron Park Emergency Services Facility in Brisbane.
QAS Commissioner Russell Bowles congratulated David who was named Patient Transport Officer of the Year.
“David through his impeccable work ethic and personalised patient care, punctuality and efficiency enables patients to arrive safely and on time, despite the distance to their appointments,” Mr Bowles said.
“David ensures that his knowledge of his patient’s condition and current medical status prior to departure is comprehensive, to ensure patients receive the best ongoing care.
“His personal concern for all his patients enables him to excel in the provision of care which enhances the welfare and safety of patients.”
David told southburnett.com.au today he has been an ambulance officer for 32 years – including 14 years in Scotland, 10 years in Sydney and eight years in Kingaroy.
He has been one of Kingaroy station’s five patient transport officers for the past two years, after serving for many years as an advanced care paramedic.
He was nominated for his award by Kingaroy QAS Officer-in-Charge Nolan Jones.
Also presented with a medal in Kedron today was Proston ambulance officer David “Barney” Wyatt who received a 35 years National Service Medal.
The awards ceremony coincided with Ambulance Week (September 16-22) celebrations and recognised ambulance officers, support staff, volunteers and community members who provide a first class emergency response.
Star Care Awards Recipients:
- Paramedic of the Year – Kerri-Leigh Russell, Capella Ambulance Station, Central Queensland LASN
- Patient Transport Officer of the Year- David Bruce, Kingaroy Ambulance Station, Darling Downs LASN
- Emergency Medical Dispatcher of the Year – Narelle Smith, Rockhampton Operations Centre
- Honorary Ambulance Officer of the Year – David Naylor, Dayboro Ambulance Station Metro North LASN
- Station of the Year – South Mackay Ambulance Station, Mackay LASN – Norman Veal OIC accepting award
- Local Ambulance Committee Achiever of the Year – Jeanette Bishop, Silkwood LAC, Cairns and Hinterland LASN
- Support Officer of the Year – Sally Ozanne, Sunshine Coast LASN
- Young Hero of the Year – Brady Mason and Reiley Mason (twin brothers) from Oakey, Darling Downs LASN
Related article: Barney’s Seen A Lifetime Of Changes