June 10, 2012
Blackbutt’s Friends of Cultcha arts group helped local residents celebrate Queensland Week by holding a mini-festival in the State’s honour today.
The “Our Queensland – Our Bloomin’ Beautiful Blackbutt” celebration of Queensland’s birthday kicked off with a Poet’s Breakfast at 8:00am which was followed by a mini-market in the grounds of Memorial Hall.
This featured a children’s petting zoo, rides, displays by local art, craft and community groups; market stalls; a circus school and a print-making workshop.
Inside the hall, the good crowd enjoyed easy-listening music from Acoustic Jabiru and a free community lunch of hot soup … much appreciated on a cool day.
Valuing Community Award Winners
- Outstanding Volunteer Service – Margaretha Portman
- Educational Achievement – Christine James
- Sporting Excellence – Mitchell Argent
- Business Excellence – Lorraine Wyvill (Bendigo Bank)
- Group Actively Enhancing Community Engagement – Taromeo Rural Fire Brigade