Large stretches of the old highway collapsed in January 2011
Flashback to January 2011 .. it’s been a very long job, but there was huge amount of damage

May 29, 2012

South Burnett motorists – and tourism operators – will breathe a sigh of relief when two lanes re-open across the Blackbutt Range next month.

Member for Nanango Deb Frecklington said today it was expected two lanes on the D’Aguilar Highway would be re-opened on June 8, weather permitting.

“This is big news for the community which has had this important freight route and road link operating as a single lane under traffic control since the flood events of January 2011,” Ms Frecklington said.

“We thank all road users and nearby communities for their ongoing patience during this time.”

She said the reconstruction of the highway had been a priority for Transport and Main Roads with work ongoing since the landslips occurred along a 2.5km stretch in January last year.

“Regular users of this section of the highway will be very aware of the massive amount of progress that has been achieved in rebuilding the road,” she said.

Ms Frecklington said the works on Blackbutt Range were an enormous engineering task and re-opening the highway to two lanes was also a major accomplishment for the project team.

The reconstruction of Blackbutt Range is being carried out as a part of “Operation Queenslander”, being delivered under the Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements, a joint federal and state initiative.

UPDATE May 30:

The Department of Transport and Main Roads said today that although two lanes should be open from June 8, more work still had to be completed on the project.

A statement said major earthworks were continuing and it was expected the reconstruction would be completed in late 2012.

Further temporary single lane closures would be required during this time however the project team would try to keep traffic disruptions to a minimum.

“It is also expected that there will be a temporary full road closure required for a couple of hours in late June 2012 for blasting to occur and the community will be further advised of changed traffic conditions,” the Department statement said.

For the latest information on traffic disruptions, phone 13-19-40 or visit www.131940.qld.gov.au


Anderssons Fruit Market for quality fruits and vegetables