South Burnett Speedway - Kingaroy
- The first day of the three-day Kings Royal, the biggest annual event on the South Burnett Speedway calendar, will be held at Kingaroy Showgrounds tonight. Racing will get underway at 5:00pm and this year a bumper field of top drivers have nominated. Tonight's program will feature the first round of the IBRP Kings Royal Modified Sedans, along with heats and finals for Production Sedans and Modlites. Admission is $25 for adults, $15 for students (with ID) and aged or disability pensioners or $65 for a family of two adults and up to three students (children 12 and under are free). Three day passes are also available at discounted rates, and there'll be canteen facilities operating onsite and camping available, too. The full event program can be downloaded here (5.3Mb PDF)
Kingaroy RSL Bingo
- Bingo games will be running at Kingaroy RSL from 9:30am this morning (eyes down at 10:30am). There'll be multiple jackpots on offer, along with book games and raffles, and proceeds will go to help local good causes. Everyone is welcome. More details? Phone the RSL on (07) 4162-1755.
Friday Croquet - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Croquet Club will be playing croquet games at the Kingaroy Cricket Club in Youngman Street, Kingaroy (just next to Beangrowers) from 9:00am to around noon this morning. New members are always welcome and a $2 lesson is available if you'd like tuition in the basics (all equipment is supplied). More details? Phone (07) 4163-5574.
Alex The Frenchman and DJdirex - Kingaroy
- The Commercial Hotel at the corner of Haly and Glendon Streets in Kingaroy will be hosting Alex The Frenchman from 7:30pm tonight in an acoustic session, followed by DJDirex who'll be spinning the platters from 9:00pm until late. Admission is free and everyone is welcome. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1380.
Friday Afternoon Scroungers - Nanango
- The Nanango Bowls Club in Henry Street will be holding their regular Friday Afternoon Scroungers matches at 4:00pm today. A $5 match fee applies and new players are very welcome. More details from the club: (07) 4163-3363
Friday Night At The Shed - Nanango
- The Shed in Little Drayton Street, Nanango (just next to the Scott Car Park) will be open from 7:00pm until late tonight for local musicians and anyone else who enjoys music to come along, bring their instruments and jam in a relaxed and informal setting (or just sit on the Shed's lounges, listen in and enjoy the wide variety of talent on offer). The Shed fires up every Friday night, has tea and coffee-making facilities, and there's no admission charge. Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone Jane on 0400-631-677.
Emily Kinsella - Kingaroy
- South Burnett singer Emily Kinsella - who wowed them at last year's Italian Festival - will be performing at the Club Hotel at the corner of Kingaroy and Alford Streets, Kingaroy from 5:00pm until late tonight. Everyone is welcome and there's no admission. More details? Phone the hotel on (07) 4162-4460.
Byte Nite - Murgon
- The South Burnett PCYC will be hosting a Byte Nite from 7:00pm to around 11:00pm for Murgon and Cherbourg youngsters at Murgon's Jubilee Swimming Pool in Gore Street. Children can play a range of fun and entertaining games and pursue other amusements for free during the course of the night, as well as get a ride home afterwards if they need one, all under the supervision of local volunteers. Byte Nite is an initiative of the PCYC and Murgon Business and Development Association to tackle youth crime in the district by giving youngsters something to do on a Friday night, and anyone who'd like to volunteer to help this community-driven initiative in any way should contact Sgt Rene Bond at the PCYC on (07) 4168-1889 for more information.
Wesleyan Food Hampers - Nanango
- Wesleyan Grace Community Food Hampers will be available at 36 Fitzroy Street, Nanango from 9:00am to 12:00 noon today. Food hampers are available for a modest price to people facing financial difficulties.
South Burnett Pantry - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Pantry will be open from 8:30am to 12:30pm today at 22 Stolzenberg Road in Kingaroy. The Pantry is a not-for-profit registered charity run by a Board of Management and staffed by volunteers, and it helps low income families, couples and singles stretch their shopping dollar further. The Pantry offers $40 pantry hampers that contain most of the food and personal cleaning items that most people need to get through part of the week (though you'll need to shop elsewhere for extras or special items). And anyone who's finding it hard to make ends meet is very welcome to make use of it. More details? Phone Joan on (0427) 496-684 or Ruth on (0447) 812-789. PS: If you'd like to help The Pantry in any way - either by volunteering or donating goods - please contact Joanne or Ruth about this too, or visit the website.