On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 24 November 2018
Zombie Invasion - Nanango
- The South Burnett's first-ever Zombie Invasion will be held at Lion's Park near Tipperary Flat on the D'Aguilar Highway south of Nanango's CBD this afternoon as a fundraiser for an All Inclusive Playground at Butter Factory Park. The invasion will start with a marshalling of zombies at 3:00pm in preparation for a 5:00pm lumber from the park to Hannibal's Bucket - no doubt, much to the shock of passing motorists - then back to Lions Park for a dance to the sounds of Michael Jackson's "Thriller" before things wrap up at around 7:00pm. Naturally, guests are encouraged to dress in their best zombie outfits, and there'll be prizes for the best zombie, best zombie hunter and best themed group. Tickets to participate in this quirky event are $15 per adult, $10 for students/concessions or $35 for a family of four, and they can be purchased online. Afterwards, all zombies are very welcome to attend an after party at the Palace Hotel in Drayton Street (see entry elsewhere on this page for more details)
Wondai Country Markets
- The Wondai Regional Art Gallery's popular monthly Wondai Country Markets will be operating at Coronation Park in Wondai's CBD from 7:00am to 12:00 noon today. Today's markets will feature stallholders selling fresh fruit and vegetables, arts and crafts, useful knick-knacks and clothing. There'll also be live entertainment; lots and lots of other stalls selling great gifts and goodies; and special hand-made treasures from local artisans available from the Gallery's new "Studio" building just a short stroll across the park. The BBQs will also be firing up from 6:45am to dish out hearty breakfasts for early bargain hunters. New stallholders are always very welcome (stall fees range from $10 with power and water available, if needed) and you can obtain more details by phoning the Gallery on (07) 4168-5926
or by emailing them
After The Storm Dance - Booie
- A special "After The Storm" dance will be held at Booie Hall at 1867 Booie Road, Booie from 8:00pm until late tonight to celebrate the hall's recovery after last month's dance had to be cancelled due to damage from the October mini-tornado that ripped a path from Coolabunia to Manumbar. Music will be supplied by Mark's Music and there'll be a great supper on offer, too. Admission is just $10 for adults or $5 for high school students and non-dancers. Everyone is welcome - especially younger people - and you can find out more by phoning Marie on 0439-794-027.
Orana Hilltop Markets - Kingaroy
- The Orana Lutheran Complex at MacDiarmid Street in Kingaroy will be holding their Orana Hilltop Markets from 8:00am to 1:00pm today in the Complex's grounds. The markets will feature a wide range of stalls selling anything from local produce and beverages through to home decor items, clothing, giftware, gardening supplies and bric-a-brac. There'll also be live entertainment, food and drink stands too. Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone Orana on (07) 4162-6555.
Nanango Mini Market
- The Nanango Mini Market, which runs on the 4th Saturday of each month outside the Churchyard Opp Shop at the corner of Drayton and Burnett Streets in Nanango, will be running from 7:00am to around noon this morning. Apart from offering great bargains at great prices, the markets also have a $2 sausage sizzle, $1 soft drinks and gold coin donation tea and coffee if you get peckish, plus a free jumping castle and fairy floss to keep children amused. New stallholders are also very welcome, with stall fees starting at just $5. More details? Phone Sue on 0419-319-981.
Risa - Kingaroy
- Popular South Burnett four-piece band Risa will be performing at the Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy from 7:00pm until 11:00pm tonight. Admission is free. More details from the RSL on (07) 4162-1755.
Official Zombie Invasion After Party - Nanango
- The Palace Hotel in Drayton Street, Nanango will be holding the Official Zombie After Party (OZAP) which will follow on from the South Burnett's first-ever Zombie Invasion (see entry elsewhere this page). Admission will be by gold coin donation - which will go towards building an inclusive playground in Butter Factory Park - and popular band Mr Q will be performing. There'll also be many other fun activities throughout the evening, and everyone is welcome - zombie or otherwise. More details? Phone the Palace on (07) 4163-1287.
Bowls Club Bingo - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email.
Female Droughtmaster Sale - Coolabunia
- Aussie Land & Livestock will be running a "Cream Of The Crop Female Droughtmaster Sale" at the Coolabunia Saleyards on the D'Aguilar Highway at Coolabunia at 10:00am this morning. 52 lots will go under the hammer at this endorsed Droughtmaster sale, and you can obtain more details by phoning Midge on 0427-710-018.
The Joy Of Christmas - Nanango
- The South Burnett's 2018 Christmas season will get underway today when the South Burnett Chorale present the first performance of their annual Christmas Charity Concert series, which this year is called "The Joy Of Christmas". The concert will be held at the Nanango Baptist Church at Mt Stanley Road, Nanango from 6:00pm to 7:30pm this evening, and it'll be full of Christmas favourites from classic to contemporary numbers. Admission is just a gold coin donation and all proceeds will go to an orphange in the Phillipines. There'll also be cold drinks on sale and a light supper after the concert concludes. More details? Contact the Chorale on Facebook. Note: Three more concerts will be held at Kingaroy on November 25; Wooroolin on November 30; and Wondai on December 1.
RBS Dance Academy Concert - Murgon
- The RBS Dance Academy will be presenting its 5th annual end-of-year concert at Murgon Town Hall in Gore Street, Murgon from 6:00pm to 8:30pm tonight. This year's concert will have an "Alice In Wonderland" theme and all the dance academy's students will be performing. Admission fees apply and everyone is welcome!
Summer Garage And Car Boot Sale and Auction - Proston
- The Proston Men's Shed will be holding a Summer Garage And Car Boot Sale and Auction at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston from 8:00am to around noon this morning. There'll be lots of bargains on offer, along with food and drink if you get peckish. Everyone is welcome!
Cooyar Trail Ride - Cooyar
- The first day of the weekend-long annual Cooyar Trail Ride will be held at the Cooyar Showgrounds in Rangemore Road, Cooyar from 10:00am this morning until around 3:00pm this afternoon, when it will be followed by novelty events. The Ride caters for Peewee, Novice, Extended Novice and Open riders, and fees apply to take part in the races - but spectators are welcome to come along and watch the action for free. There's also free camping in the showgrounds and a canteen and bar will be operating, too. However, visitors and participants should bring cash, because there's no ATMs or EFTPOS in the grounds. The Trail Ride will conclude tomorrow.
Club In The Pub - Kingaroy
- Popular DJ Direx and DJ iLLp - plus guests - will be spinning the platters at the Commercial Hotel at the corner of Glendon and Haly Streets, Kingaroy from 9:00pm to 1:00am tonight. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-138
Group Cycling - Wondai To Tingoora
- The Social Wellness Group will be holding a social cycling outing along the South Burnett Rail Trail today. The ride will depart from the gazebo behind the Wondai Timber Museum at 8:15am and riders will try to pedal to Tingoora and back again - a distance of about 15km - at their own pace. It's a fairly easy ride but there'll also be support vehicles available if you can't complete the full course. The cost to compete is a $5 donation to Drought Angels, plus some extra cash if you want to socialise over coffee at Dan's Diner afterwards (just BYO bicycle, cycling gear and water). Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone Liz on 0439-615-742.
Dundas Holden Test Drive Fun Day - Kingaroy
- If you've ever wanted to test drive some of the new Holden models (including the new Holden Acadia), get along to John Dundas Holden in Kingaroy Street, Kingaroy this morning. They'll have a big range of new, demonstrator and used Holdens to try out between 8:30am and 12:00 noon.
Pig On A Spit Night - Maidenwell
- Maidenwell's historic Maidenwell Hotel will be holding another of their popular monthly Pig On A Spit evenings from 6:00pm until late tonight (dinner is served from 6:00pm to 8:00pm). There'll be live entertainment from South Burnett entertainer Arthur Nettelfield and lots of cold beer, along with more pork than you can poke a fork at, all served up with with roast potatoes, pumpkin, corn, peas, carrots, applesauce and gravy for $17 per plate! There'll also be roast beef and spit roasted chicken on the menu for those who prefer a non-pork option, plus a vegetarian option (ie vegies only). Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone the pub on (07) 4164-6133.
Elay Music - Kingaroy
- Newcomer Elay Music will be performing at the Kingaroy Hotel-Motel at the corner of Haly and Youngman Streets, Kingaroy from 8:30pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1677.
South Burnett Cricket
- There's no A-grade cricket being played in the region this weekend - they're being played in Gympie - but there'll be four local B-grade matches as consolation. In Kingaroy, Kingaroy Services will play Blackbutt Oval at Lyle Vidler Oval in Youngman Street; in Nanango, Nanango will play Cherbourg at the Nanango Sportsgrounds in Burnett Street; in Wondai, Wondai will play Kumbia at the Wondai Sportsgrounds off the Bunya Highway north of the CBD; and in Murgon, Murgon District will play the Wooroolin Warriors at the Murgon Showgrounds in Macalister Street. All games start at 12:30pm and spectators are very welcome.
Saturday, 24 November 2018