On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Tuesday, 06 November 2018
Melbourne Cup DayToday is the first Tuesday in November: Melbourne Cup Day. This is a gazetted public holiday in Victoria and an unofficial public holiday virtually everywhere else in Australia. While nearly all businesses in the South Burnett will attempt to trade as normal - and all government and public offices will be open for the daily grind - the majority of people will either be taking a bit of time out or abandoning any pretence of following a normal day's routine from about noon onwards. As usual, the South Burnett will be celebrating the occasion with a number of Melbourne Cup Day functions along with the Kumbia Race Club's annual Melbourne Cup Day Race Meeting (see entry immediately below) - a really great South Burnett bush race meeting that's become something quite special to all of us over the years.
46th Annual Melbourne Cup Day Race Meeting - Kumbia
- The Kumbia Racing Club will be holding its 46th Annual Melbourne Cup Day Race Meeting at the Kumbia racetrack from about 9:00am this morning through until 5:00pm this afternoon. This very popular 5-card event is the only live Cup Day race meeting in the South Burnett and it always attracts a great crowd. There'll be Fashions of the Field parade with great prizes. There'll also be a bar, BBQ, and the Luncheon Hall in operation plus full Sky-TV race meeting coverage, a vigorous betting ring, and big screen coverage of that other race meeting in Melbourne. The Kumbia Race Club's facilities got really pounded by the October hailstorm (just like the rest of Kumbia) but track officials have been working hard the past few weeks to effect repairs and ensure everything's ship-shape for today's meeting, so regulars should find everything they've come to expect from this terrific annual race meeting. Admission is just $10 for adults and $5 for concessions, and a bus will be running from Kingaroy's Carrollee Hotel for people who've booked seats at the pub. More details? Contact the Race Club Secretary on (07) 4163-7200.
Melbourne Cup Luncheon - Murgon
- St Joseph's Catholic Parish will be hosting a Melbourne Cup Luncheon from 11:00am to 3:00pm today at St Joseph's Hall in Angel Avenue, Murgon. There'll be champagne on arrival plus sweeps and raffles, giveaways and Fashions of the Field. Cost is $20. Bookings are essential as numbers are limited. Phone Cecily on 0438-684-648 or Elaine on 0419-693-602.
Melbourne Cup Day Lunch - Nanango
- The Nanango RSL in Henry Street will be holding a Melbourne Cup Day Luncheon from 12:00 noon to 3:00pm today. For $35 per head, guests can get to enjoy a complimentary champagne on arrival, a sweep ticket, an antipasto plate and lunch, along with big screen coverage of the race and all the usual fun of a Cup Day get-together. There'll also be betting available through the club's UBET facility, and guests who only have an hour for lunch can get whisked through in style providing they book for four or more people. More details? Phone the RSL on (07) 4163-1375.
Melbourne Cup Day Lunch - Wondai
- The Wondai Hospital Auxiliary will be running a Melbourne Cup Day Luncheon at the Wondai Diggers Club in Mackenzie Street, Wondai from 9:30am this morning. Tickets - which include a buffet lunch and dessert - are $25 per head, and they can be booked at the club or by phoning (07) 4168-5297
Melbourne Cup Day Lunch - Proston
- A Melbourne Cup Day Lunch will be held at the Proston Cultural Centre in Rodney Street, Proston from 11:00am onwards today. For $20, guests can enjoy a great two-course lunch, a fashion parade by NB Inspirations, live entertainment and coverage of the race. There'll also be multi-draw raffles, sweeps, prizes for the best-dressed lady and gentleman and a lucky door prize. To plan the catering, though, bookings are essential. You can make one by phoning Graham on 0429-689-558 or Judith on (07) 4168-9540.
Nanango Scout Club
- The Nanango Scout Club - which meets every Tuesday night during school terms - will be holding its regular weekly meeting at the Scout Den at 40 Henry Street, Nanango (just next to the police station) from 5:30pm to around 7:00pm tonight. The group currently has three sections in operation: Joeys (for children aged 6 to 8 years); Cubs (8-11 years); and Scouts (11-15 years). New members are always very welcome, and so are new leaders and youth members for all sections. More details? Phone Shirley Masnata on (07) 4163-7455 or send her an email.
Tuesday Night Indoor Bowls - Wondai
- The Wondai Indoor Bowls Club will be holding its regular Tuesday meeting at the Wondai Town Hall in Mackenzie Street, Wondai at 7:30pm this evening. Three games of 12 ends are played, lasting up to three hours, and playing fees are $3. New members are always welcome and you can find out more details by phoning secretary Christine Rasmussen at Wondai on (07) 4169-0995, Maryanne Pearce at Tingoora on (07) 4169 0776, or Faye Holding at Goomeri on (07) 4168 4494.
Proston Men's Shed
- The Proston Men's Shed will be meeting at the old railway station building at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston for its regular Tuesday meeting today, kicking off with a cuppa at 9:00am. The meeting will run until around noon, and new members are always welcome. More details? Phone Geoff on 0439-694-000.
Blackbutt Car Enthusiasts Club
- The Blackbutt Car Enthusiasts Club will be holding its first Tuesday of the month meeting at the Blackbutt RSL at the corner of Muir and Douglas Streets, Blackbutt at 7:00pm tonight. The club is for motoring enthusiasts - any make, model and vintage are welcome - and in addition to sharing their love of motoring, members take part in monthly runs and attend other local events for Show & Shines. New members are always welcome! More details? Phone Peter on (07) 4170-0289, Chris on 0427-782-573 or Dave on 0499-258-881.
Tuesday Morning Card Games - Yarraman
- Heritage House at 26 Millar Street in Yarraman will be hosting its weekly Tuesday morning 500 card games from 10:00am to around 1:00pm today, followed by a light lunch. Playing fees - which include lunch and a lucky door prize ticket - are just $5. Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone Heritage House on (07) 4163-8111.
Kingaroy Croquet Club
- The Kingaroy Croquet Club will be playing croquet games at the rear of the Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman Street, Kingaroy from 9:00am to around 11:30am this morning. New members are always welcome and a $2 lesson is available if you'd like tuition in the basics (all equipment is supplied). More details? Phone (07) 4163-6022.
Danny's Diner - Kingaroy
- Danny's Diner - a free community dinner - will be held at the Uniting Church Hall at the corner of Alford and Youngman streets in Kingaroy from 5:30pm to 7:00pm tonight. The dinner is an initiative of the Kingaroy District Ministry Association for the benefit of anyone who's hungry or otherwise doing it tough. While an RSVP isn't essential, it would be appreciated to help plan the catering. You can make one by phoning Lenelle on (07) 4162-8482. You can also read more about Danny's Diner on our website.
Tuesday Night Trivia - Kingaroy
- Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy will be holding its regular Tuesday Night Trivia games this evening. Registrations start at 6:30pm and play starts at 7:00pm. Registration is just $2 and play is in teams of six. More details from the RSL: (07) 4162-1755.
South Burnett Mountain Bike Club - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Mountain Bike Club will be holding its monthly meeting at the Commercial Hotel at the corner of Glendon and Haly Streets, Kingaroy at 6:30pm this evening. The club caters for mountain bike riding enthusiasts and in addition to regular rides, has built an extensive series of mountain bike cycling tracks in the McEuen Forestry area in Wondai. Potential new members are very welcome!
Blackbutt Singers - Yarraman
- The Blackbutt Singers will holding their regular Tuesday morning practice session at the Yarraman Community Hall in Browne Street, Yarraman from 9:30am to around noon this morning. New members are very welcome. More details? Call Judy on (07) 4170-0880.
Country Crafters - Blackbutt
- The Blackbutt Country Crafters will be holding their regular Tuesday morning meeting at the Uniting Church Hall in Coulson Street, Blackbutt from 9:30am to 2:00pm today. The group caters for people interested in crafts and new members are always welcome. More details? Phone June on (07) 4170-0054 or Roslyn on (07) 4163-0682
Neighbourhood Watch Meeting - Wondai
- The Wondai Neighbourhood Watch group will be holding a meeting from 7:30pm to about 9:00pm tonight at the Wondai Diggers Club in Mackenzie Street. All local residents are welcome to attend.
Elgin Vale QCWA Meeting
- The Elgin Vale branch of the QCWA will be holding their monthly meeting at the Elgin Vale QCWA Rooms at the corner of Manumbar Road and Porters Road, Nanango from 10:00am to around 12:00 noon today. New members are always very welcome! More details? Phone Lois on (07) 4162-3824.
Indoor Bowls - Yarraman
- The Yarraman Indoor Bowls Club will be holding their regular Tuesday morning meeting at the Lutheran Church Hall in McDaniel Street, Yarraman at 9:30am this morning. New members are always welcome.
Tuesday Social Bowls - Nanango
- The Nanango Bowls Club in Henry Street, Nanango will be holding social lawn bowls games from 12:30pm this afternoon. Dress standard is mufti and new players are very welcome. More details from the club: (07) 4163-3363
Maidenwell QCWA Meeting
- The Maidenwell branch of the QCWA will be holding their monthly meeting at the Maidenwell Hall Supper Room from 8:45am this morning (when things will kick off with a welcoming cuppa) through until this afternoon. The branch meeting itself will commence at 9:30am and all ladies in the Maidenwell and Bunya Mountains areas are very welcome to come along and meet the other branch members! You can obtain more details by phoning Glenda on (07) 4164 6137 or by emailing her.
Chatty Craft Evening - Kingaroy
- A Chatty Craft Evening will be held at the QCWA Rooms at 122 Kingaroy Street, Kingaroy from 6:00pm to 8:00pm tonight. This free social evening is held on the first Tuesday of each month (except January) and it allows women to get together with other women interested in crafts, forge new friendships and have a great time. Simply bring along a craft you'd like to work on and a plate of food to share with a cuppa. More details? Phone Lois on 0407-965-094.
South Burnett Chorale - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Chorale will be holding their regular Tuesday practice night at the Church of Christ Hall at the corner of Haly and Burnett Streets in Kingaroy from 7:00pm to 9:00pm this evening. The Chorale meets every Tuesday night during school terms, and new members are always very welcome! More details? Phone Margie on 0424-924-632.
Alcoholics Anonymous - Nanango
- Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other to help solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership. A.A. isn't allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organisation or institution. AA meets in Nanango every Tuesday from 5:30pm at the Catholic Church Hall in Alfred Street (next to St Patrick's school). For more information, phone 0427-289-990.
Tuesday, 06 November 2018