On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 02 September 2017
2017 Wondai Show
- The main public day of the 100th Wondai Show will be held at the Wondai Showgrounds in Baynes Street, Wondai from 8:30am this morning until 5:00pm tonight when the Country Music Muster kicks into action. This year's Show will feature a jam-packed programme of events including chain-saw racing; 3 rings of horse events; the second day of the South Burnett Kennel Club Dog Show; free roving entertainment for children; an arts and crafts display under the grandstand; a Show & Shine across five classes; plus displays and demonstrations of vintage machinery and many, many other things. There'll also be performances by the Wondai Town Band and a great sideshow alley. The Show will be officially opened at 1:00pm by Queensland Governor Paul de Jersey, and the Grand Parade will follow at 2:30pm. This in turn will be followed by live entertainment. A licensed bar and hot food outlets will be operating throughout the day and evening too. Admission is $10 for adults, $6 for pensioners and high school students and $2 for primary schoolers (pre-schoolers are free!). There's also plenty of free parking available at the Showgrounds if you're driving. More details? Contact the Wondai Visitor Information Centre on (07) 4168-5652 (or email them). Note: Today's event is the first agricultural show in the 2017-18 South Burnett show circuit.
Funfest Casino Night - Nanango
- The Heritage Nanango Funfest committee will be holding their 4th annual Funfest Casino Night at Taras Hall next to Nanango RSL in George Street, Nanango from 7:00pm until late this evening as fundraiser for RACQ LifeFlight (game play starts at 8:00pm). Guests at this gala event will get to enjoy a really great night out. Professional croupiers from Brisvegas will be offering blackjack, roulette, Texas hold'em poker, craps and casino war on casino-standard tables (along with help if you don't know how to play any particular game). There'll also be great live entertainment throughout the evening from the South Burnett's very own Elvis, Jeff Hancox, and the entry fee includes $2,000 in fun money, two drinks (there'll be a licensed bar operating if you want more), delicious finger food and unlimited tea and coffee. There'll also be a valuable Lucky Door Prize up for grabs. Tickets are $50 each and can be obtained in advance from the Nanango Energy and Visitor Information Centre in Henry St, Nanango or at the door tonight.
Spring Ball - Inverlaw
- A Spring Ball will be held at Inverlaw Hall on the Burrandowan Road (roughly 20km from Kingaroy) from 8:00pm until late this evening. Music will be supplied by the Mystique Band and there'll be the usual great supper and novelties, along with a Lucky Door draw. Admission fees are $15.00 for adults, $5.00 for high school students and everyone is welcome! More details? Phone June on (07) 4162-1195 or David on 0459-228-882.
Spring Cent Auction - Nanango
- The Nanango RSL Citizen's Auxiliary will be holding their 4th annual Spring Cent Auction at Taras Hall next to the Nanango RSL in Henry Street, Nanango this afternoon. Doors will open at 11:30am so early birds can inspect all the items on offer and formulate their bidding strategies. The auction itself will get underway at 1:00pm and conclude at around 2:30pm. There'll be lots of great items up for grabs and the $5 admission includes a free sheet of tickets and a great afternoon tea. Everyone is welcome, and all proceeds will go to aid the Auxiliary's work with the community and veterans. Tickets can be pre-purchased at the RSL from mid-August. More details? Phone Judy on 0427-946-347 or Carol on 0422-587-135.
Line Dancing Classes - Blackbutt
- Line dancing classes will be held at the Blackbutt Lions Den on the northern boundary of the Blackbutt Showgrounds in Bowman Road from 1:00pm to 3:00pm this afternoon. The first hour is for beginners, the second for more advanced dancers, but everyone is welcome to stay for both. Class fees are $5 and classes are held on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of each month. More details? Phone Chrissie on 0418-199-080.
Blackbutt Tennis Club Come and Try Day
- The Blackbutt Tennis Club in Hart Street, Blackbutt (just up the road from the Radnor Hotel) will be holding a free Come & Try programme for beginners and those who wish to refresh their tennis skills from 9:30am to 11:30am this morning. Today is the final day of a 6-session program has been running at the courts on Wednesday and Saturday mornings. Tennis racquets and balls will be available, and everyone is welcome along. More details? Phone Noeleen on 0458-539-821 or send her an email.
Garage Sale - Kingaroy
- Kingaroy State School at 61 Alford Street in Kingaroy will be holding a garage sale from 8:00am this morning, with desks, filing cabinets, tables, chairs and other assorted items up for grabs.
Bowls Club Bingo - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email. Note: Today's parkrun is a special one in honour of Father's Day (which falls tomorrow) and all registered participants will receive a limited-edition medal.
Proston Men's Shed
- The Proston Men's Shed will be meeting at the old railway station building at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston for its regular Saturday morning meeting today, kicking off with a cuppa at 9:00am. The meeting will run until around noon, and new members are always welcome. More details? Phone Geoff on 0439-694-000.
Saturday Golf - Blackbutt and Kingaroy
- The Blackbutt Golf Club at 51 Langton Road in Blackbutt will be hosting their annual Blackbutt Cup competition today - an Open Stroke for anyone with a current AGU Handicap. There'll be prizes in the A, B and C grades (nett and gross), and the best nett of the day will win this year's Cup. More details? Phone the club on (07) 4163-0180. Meanwhile, the Kingaroy Golf Club on the Bunya Highway south-west of the CBD will be holding their Tiger 4 Ball Medley - a 4BBB Stableford where points are multiplied together for each hole, then tallied for the 18 hole score - from 8:00am this morning. Green fees are $21 per game and timesheets can be obtained from the clubhouse. More details? Phone the golf club on (07) 4162-1720.
Murgon Men's Shed
- The Murgon Men's Shed will be holding their Saturday meeting at their shed in Macalister Street, Murgon (the former Murgon Railway Station) today. The Men's Shed meets every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to work on projects and new members are always welcome.
Soccer Preliminary Finals - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett's 2017 soccer season will be holding its Preliminary Finals (the match that precedes next week's Grand Finals) at Tom Alford Oval at the end of Oliver Bond Street in Kingaroy today. The winners of today's Preliminary Finals will go on to contest the Grand Finals next week, while the losers will end their season, so spectators can expect some pretty hard-fought, fast paced football games! Today's action will get underway at 2:00pm with the 2nd Division clash between Gunners and Wests. This will be followed at 4:00pm with the Women's Division match between Wests and Barambah, and thwen at 6:00pm with the 1st Division game under lights between Gunners and Barambah. Admission to view the matches is free and a canteen will be running. Spectators are very welcome!
Bunya Bull Sale - Coolabunia
- Aussie Land and Livestock will be holding their annual Bunya Bull Sale at the Coolabunia Saleyards on the D'Aguilar Highway at Coolabunia from 11:00am this morning. This year's sale is offering 104 top Droughmaster bulls, and inspections are available at the saleyards from 3:00pm on Friday.
Nanango Country Markets
- The Nanango Show Society will be holding their regular monthly Country Markets at the Nanango Showgrounds in Cairns Street from 6:00am to around 12:00 noon today. As usual, the markets will feature a wide variety of craft stalls, new and used goods, plants, poultry and pets. The Nanango Markets are the largest rural market in south east Queensland and routinely attract 300 to 400 stallholders. But new stallholders are always very welcome too! More info? Phone the Market Co-Ordinator on (0427) 631-273 during business hours.
Car Boot And Garage Sale - Proston
- The Proston Men's Shed will be holding a Spring Garage and Car Boot Sale from 8:00am to Noon this morning at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston. New stallholders are very welcome! More details? Phone John on 0428-625-649.
Rugby League Preliminary Finals - Nanango
- The South Burnett's 2017 Rugby League competition is also coming close to its finale today, and the preliminary finals will be played at Stags Oval off the D'Aguilar Highway just south of Nanango's CBD all day today. Matches will kick off at at 10:45am with the U12s clash between Cherbourg and Nanango, followed by U14s at 11:45am, and then the U16s game between Cherbourg and Kingaroy at 1:00pm. The A Grade clash - between the Murgon Mustangs and Nanango's Stags - will take to the field at 2:30pm. Today's semis will offer very fast-paced footy and a canteen and bar will be operating in the grounds. Spectators are very welcome!
Gav On Guitar - Blackbutt
- The Scrubby Creek Bar next to the Bunya Nut Cafe in Coulson Street, Blackbutt will be hosting live music with Gav on guitar from 6:00pm tonight. Everyone is welcome and there's no admission charge.
Ladies Night In - Kingaroy
- The Glo Project at 38-40 Alford Street, Kingaroy will be holding a "Ladies Night In" from 6:30pm to around 11:30pm tonight as a fundraiser for Relay For Life. Guests will be treated to bubbles and nibbles on arrival, followed by a dinner of either butter chicken or rogan josh curries (mild, they promise!) with some great prizes to win thanks to Burtons Shoes, Villa Sapi (Macrame), Cass Broomhall Photography and The Pioneer Restaurant. Tickets are $43.07 and only a limited number remain. They can be booked online via Eventbrite.
SBRL Presentation Dinner - Wondai
- The South Burnett Rugby League will be holding their annual Presentation Dinner at Wondai Town Hall in Mackenzie Street, Wondai from 5:30pm until late this evening. Tickets to this event were sold out through the league's network by mid-August, so if you didn't get one you've missed out.
Welcome Spring Ladies Fling - Kingaroy
- The Twilight branch of the Kingaroy QCWA will be holding a Welcome Spring Ladies Fling at the QCWA Rooms in Kingaroy Street, Kingaroy (just next to the RSL) from 9:30am this morning. Women and girls are welcome to bring along their unfinished craft projects or just come along for a morning tea. More details? Phone 0423-116-824.
Saturday, 02 September 2017