On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 16 September 2017
Heritage Nanango Cup Race Meeting - Nanango
- The Nanango Race Club will be holding their annual Heritage Bank Nanango Cup Race Meeting at the Lee Park Raceway off the D'Aguilar Highway just south of Nanango from 10:00am to around 5:00pm today. Today's races will have a "Feather Fascinators, Fedoras And Furs" theme and everyone is encouraged to dress up in their best hats and/or accessories to be in the running for some great Moffatdale Ridge Fashions Of The Field prizes. The race club's popular Champagne@the Bit Bar will be serving up platters all day if you fancy a bite; a licensed bar and BBQ will be operating under the extended covered area; the race club canteen will be open for sit-down dining; children will be well catered for with face-painting and ice creams; and there'll be plenty of bookmakers and an on-course tote available in the betting ring to take your wagers. This meeting patrons can also put their losing betting tickets for $5 or more into a draw for a chance to win dinner for two at the Noosa Beach House and an overnight stay at Noosa's Sofitel Hotel, courtesy of Nanango's bookmakers. A lot of people like to use the Heritage Nanango Cup race meeting for relaxed get-togethers, and you're welcome to picnic on the lawns or even bring your own marquee if you like. This will be a 5 race meeting and buses will be running to the races from Kingaroy's Glendon Street Bus Depot (12:00 noon) and the Nanango RSL at 12:30pm. The first race will leave the barriers around 1:30pm but gates will open at 10:00am so go-getters can get a head start on that all-important socialising. Admission is just $10 for adults and $5 for pensioners (under-15s are free). Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone Rosemary on (07) 4163-2346 or email her.
All That Jazz - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Community Orchestra will be presenting "All That Jazz" - an evening of jazz and swing era music - at Kingaroy Town Hall in Glendon Street, Kingaroy at 6:00pm tonight (concert starts at 6:30pm). Guests at this licensed event can get to enjoy a great three course dinner plus performances from the South Burnett Community Orchestra, the Chinchilla Strings & Concert Band, the SBCO Strings Ensemble and the SBCO Wind Ensemble, and dresing up in your favourite jazz or swing era costumes is encouraged. Tickets are $50 per head and they can be obtained in advance from Kingaroy Office Central in Haly Street or Bill Hull Car Centre in Kingaroy Street. More details? Phone Caz on 0418-847-067 (a/hrs preferred) or visit the SBCO's website. Note: To help plan the catering, tickets need to be booked by September 13.
Kingaroy & District Vintage Machinery Club Rally
- The first day of the annual two day Kingaroy & District Vintage Machinery Club Rally will be held at Geoff Raph Drive at Kingaroy Airport between 9:00am and 4:00pm today. The rally attracts vintage machinery enthusiasts from all over South East Queensland and there'll be a huge range of antique machinery on display including cars, tractors, trucks, crawlers and stationary engines. Other highlights include a Grand Parade, slow tractor races, sled pulling, ploughing, ring events and much, much more! If you're hungry, there'll also be a barbecue, food and drink stalls operating all day too. Exhibitors from other clubs are also very welcome, but you'll need to arrange your own public liability insurance (which will be sighted on arrival). Special features of this year's rally include 100 Years Of Fordson and the club's 20th anniversary. Admission is $10, but under-12s can get in for free.
Friendship Markets - Kingaroy
- The third Saturday of the month Friendship Markets will be held at the Cheers Triangle end of the Kingaroy Showgrounds in Youngman Street, Kingaroy from 7:00am to around 12:00pm today. The markets are jointly run by the Kingaroy Rotary Club and Kingaroy Show Society and they feature a great array of arts, crafts, fruit and flower stalls. New stallholders are always very welcome! More details? Phone Patrick on 0419-648-754.
Line Dancing Classes - Blackbutt
- Line dancing classes will be held at the Blackbutt Lions Den on the northern boundary of the Blackbutt Showgrounds in Bowman Road from 1:00pm to 3:00pm this afternoon. The first hour is for beginners, the second for more advanced dancers, but everyone is welcome to stay for both. Class fees are $5 and classes are held on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of each month. More details? Phone Chrissie on 0418-199-080.
Ambulance Week Open Days - Murgon and Nanango
- The celebrate Ambulance Week, the Murgon and Nanango local ambulance committees will be holding Open Days at both of their ambulance stations today. The Murgon Ambulance Station will be open from 9:30am to 11:30am this morning with displays of ambulances and equipment, CPR and defibrillator demonstrations and free activity books for the first 20 children who attend, along with a sausage sizzle. And in Nanango, the ambulance station will be open between 10:00am and 2:00pm, offering similar displays and $1 sausage sizzles or cool drinks. Everyone is welcome!
South Burnett Saints Presentation Evening
- The South Burnett Saints AFL Club will be holding their annual Presentation Night at the Carrollee Hotel in King Street, Kingaroy from 5:00pm tonight. Approximate prices for dinner and dancing are $30 for adults and $15 for children, and RSVPs need to be made by September 9 to 0413-853-103 or by email.
Spring Fashion Afternoon Tea - Proston
- NB Inspirations ("The Myers Of The South Burnett") will be hosting a Spring Fashion Afternoon Tea at the Jacaranda Tearooms in Blake Street, Proston at 3:00pm this afternoon to showcase their new Spring fashion collection. Seats are just $10 and include a great spread of Jacaranda Tearooms' delightful treats, as well as a warm and friendly atmosphere. All guests are also welcome to visit NB Inspirations afterwards for a full preview of all stock and first pick.
Proston Men's Shed
- The Proston Men's Shed will be meeting at the old railway station building at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston for its regular Saturday morning meeting today, kicking off with a cuppa at 9:00am. The meeting will run until around noon, and new members are always welcome. More details? Phone Geoff on 0439-694-000.
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email.
Kingaroy QCWA Girls Craft Club
- The Kingaroy QCWA Girls Craft Club will be holding its third Saturday of the month meeting at the Kingaroy QCWA Rooms at 122 Kingaroy Street, Kingaroy from 1:00pm to 4:00pm this afternoon. The club - which is for young girls aged 10 and above - teaches basic life skills like sewing, embroidery, healthy cooking and catering. The cost is $2 a day plus a small charge for materials used, and all young girls and teens are very welcome. More details? Phone Marilyn on (07) 4162-2697 or Lois on (07) 4162-3824.
Birds Of A Feather Monster Garage Sale - Kingaroy
- The Birds Of A Feather cancer support group will be holding the second (and final) day of their annual two-day Monster Garage Sale and Cake Stall at 28 Arthur Street in Kingaroy today as a fundraiser for Relay For Life. Doors will open at 7:00am and there'll be a lot of great bargains in everything from furniture to collectables, kitchenware, tools, linen, baking equipment, jams, clothes, artworks, plants, toys, books and much more. Details? Donations? Phone Beryl on (07) 4162-8306.
Murgon Swimming Pool Opens For Season
- Murgon's Jubilee Swimming Pool in Gore Street will re-open for the 2017-2018 swimming season today.
Pig On A Spit Night - Cooyar
- The Cooyar Hotel will be holding a Pig On A Spit Night from 6:00pm this evening. This monthly get-together offers great food, good music and good company, and free overnight camping is available nearby. More details? Phone Karyn at the hotel on (07) 4692-6185.
Benarkin Car Rally
- The annual Benarkin Car Rally - when Brisbane club riders spend the day racing around the Blackbutt and Benarkin forestry areas - will leave from in front of Benarkin State School at 7:00am this morning. Everyone is welcome to watch the rally cars leave from the school, and there will be food stalls operating all day for those who want to watch the racers as they return on various laps. The Rally will conclude at 6:00pm and will be followed by night-time entertainment, dinner and a bar.
Moore Markets & Linville BYO Horse Ride
- Horestrax Oz will be holding a ride from the Moore Church Art Gallery to Linville and return along the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail at 10:00am this morning. The third Saturday is market day in Moore, so you can get there a bit earlier if you want to browse the markets and art outlets. After a 7km trek to Linville, the ride will break for lunch at the Linville Hotel (or BYO if you want), then return on the same route. This is an easy ride and the cost is $15 to cover insurance. Bookings are essential and payment is required prior to the day via Paypal or EFT. More details? Phone Melanie on 0417-634-981.
Ladies Morning Tea - Nanango
- A free ladies morning tea will be held at the Uniting Church Hall at 44 Gipps Street, Nanango at 10:00am this morning. All women and girls are welcome.
2017 Queensland Police CTC Trap Nationals
- The Kingaroy Clay Target Club will be hosting the 2017 Queensland Police Clay Target Club Trap Nationals shooting competition today and tomorrow. This popular annual event, which is open to all shooters, will have three different shooting events today (a 30 Target Medley, a 25t Single Barrel Championship and a 30t Double Barrel Championship) and another three tomorrow, with the action getting underway at 9:00am this morning. There'll also be meals available all weekend and powered camping facilities on the grounds, and spectators are very welcome too. You can find out more on the KCTC website. More details? Phone Gary on 0417-922-860 or Scott on 0418-806-488.
Stepping Stones Dance Night - Wondai
- Popular South Burnett duo The Stepping Stones (Sue Bradley and Geoff Grevell) will be holding a Dance Night at the Wondai Diggers Club in Mackenzie Street, Wondai this evening. Sue and Geoff will be playing Old Time, New Vogue and line dancing numbers, along with some good old-fashioned country rock. Meals will be available from 6:00pm and the entertainment will start at 6:30pm. Everyone is welcome and admission is free!
DJ Tyson Clancy-Jones - Kingaroy
- Popular DJ Tyson Clancy-Jones will be performing live on the deck of the Kingaroy Hotel at the corner of Youngman and Haly Streets from 9:00pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details? Phone the Kingas on (07) 4162-1677.
Saturday Golf - Nanango and Wondai
- The Nanango Golf Club on the D'Aguilar Highway just north of the CBD will be holding Bailey's 3 Person Ambrose today. Names need to be in by 10:00am for a 10:30am shotgun start and everyone is welcome. More details from the golf club on (07) 4163-1463. Meanwhile, the Wondai Golf Club off the Bunya Highway north of Wondai's CBD will be holding its Elgar Harrison Memorial Open Day today, with a shotgun start at 10:00am. Green fees are $20 (which includes a BBQ lunch) and names should be lodged by phoning Brad on (07) 4168-5126 or 0437-185-025.
Bowls Club Bingo - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
A Spring Affair - Nanango
- Creative Connections at 8 George Street, Nanango (the former Winds Of Change Gallery) will be holding "A Spring Affair" from 9:00am this morning. The event will feature craft stalls, plants - including bonsais - and Devonshire teas. Everyone is welcome!
Murgon Men's Shed
- The Murgon Men's Shed will be holding their Saturday meeting at their shed in Macalister Street, Murgon (the former Murgon Railway Station) today. The Men's Shed meets every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to work on projects and new members are always welcome.
Saturday, 16 September 2017