On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 09 September 2017
Blackbutt Avocado Festival The 2017 Blackbutt Avocado Festival will be held in the area stretching from Blackbutt's CBD down to Blackbutt Showgrounds from 7:00am this morning (with breakfast at the Country Canteen) through until late tonight. Outside the newly relocated Blackbutt Memorial Hall near the Roy Emerson Museum at the end of Hart Street, there'll be Avocado Rolling for big cash prizes, along with Avocado Tossing and Avocado Judging. And inside the hall, there'll be avocado cooking demonstrations by South Burnett Food Ambassador Jason Ford, along with avocado sales, games and demos. Elsewhere, visitors can browse a huge range of market stalls, including a new Food Court and Wine Alley, or watch woodcutting competitions near the XXXX Gold Woodcutters Bar. The giant Ken Mills Toyota Street Parade will wend its way along the highway at 11:00am, and there'll be live music all day thanks to Meandu Mine. And at 6:00pm in the evening when the market stalls begin to pack up, the festival will conclude with a fun rock and roll dance at the Blackbutt Memorial Hall, headlined by the Rockin' Bodgies. All day there'll be lots of activities and stalls to browse, plus displays of antique machinery, cars and all manner of other things. Nearly all Avocado Festival activities are completely free and the event is designed to be family-friendly. Everyone is welcome! You can also read a report and see photos of what last year's festival was like on our website.
Moffatdale Ridge Italian Festival
- Moffatdale Ridge Winery on Barambah Road at Moffatdale will be holding their third annual Italian Festival in their grounds and cellar door cafe from 9:30am until dusk today. Popular Italian entertainer Fortunato Isgro will be performing along with sensational opera singers during the course of the day and there'll also be classic Italian car displays in the grounds; bocce games on the lawns; a salami wheel; Italian cooking demonstrations; amazing traditional Italian foods; and dancing and fun for the whole family. The full range of Moffatdale Ridge wines will be available along with premium Italian beers, and admission is just $10 per head. More details? Tickets? Phone Moffatdale Ridge on (07) 4168-4797. The Festival is a guaranteed great day out, and you can read more (and see photos) of what last year's Italian Festival was like on our website.
Bookarama - Kingaroy
- The Taabinga Rotary Club will be holding the first day of their giant two-day Bookarama at Kingaroy Town Hall in Glendon Street, Kingaroy from 9:00am to 4:00pm today. Bookarama offers tens of thousands of books on all subjects at genuine bargain prices, and this year there'll also be an all-day sausage sizzle and raffles too. Proceeds of Bookarama always go to help worthwhile local causes supported by Taabinga Rotary and if you love books, Bookarama is heaven on a stick. Everyone is welcome and admission is free! Note: Bookarama will also run tomorrow from 9:00am to noon.
- The Yarraman Progress Association's Yarraman Markets will be held on the vacant block at the corner of the D'Aguilar and New England Highways in Yarraman from 7:00am until around 12:00 noon today (ie opposite Bendigo Bank). The markets feature trash and treasure stalls, car boot sellers, local produce and hand-made goods, as well as food stalls, and are held on the second Saturday of every month. Everyone is welcome and if you'd like to book a stall yourself - it's only $5! - call Joe on (0459) 638-282
Heritage Nanango Music Muster
- The 2017 Heritage Nanango Country Music Muster will be held at the Nanango Showgrounds in Cairns Street, Nanango from September 7-10 this year, and today - the main day - the Muster will get underway at 9:00am with an Invited Artists Concert that will run right through until 11:00pm tonight. You can get in to attend today's concert for $30 (or $15 if you want to attend from 3:00pm onwards); or you can buy a 4-day pass to the entire event for $45 (young people aged 14 to 17 can get tickets for half price, and under-14s accompanied by an adult can get in for free). A bar and canteen will be running all day, and camping will also be available at the Showgrounds for between $7 and $9 per night. However, a booking for any camp site is essential because the Muster usually packs the Showgrounds to capacity. You can make one and/or get more details about this year's event on the Nanango Show Society's website or by phoning the Show Society on (07) 4163-1273.
Wooroolin Community Markets
- The Wooroolin Community Markets will be held inside the Wooroolin QCWA Rooms on the Bunya Highway at Wooroolin from 6:00am until around 12:00 noon this morning. The markets offer stalls, a sausage sizzle, fresh produce, plants and crafts and are run on the 2nd Saturday of every month except January. Stall fees are just $5 and new stallholders are always welcome. More details? Phone Janice on 0439-073-160 or send her an email.
South Burnett Rugby League Grand Finals - Wondai
- The South Burnett's 2017 Rugby League Grand Finals will be played at the Wondai Sportsgrounds off the Bunya Highway north of the CBD today. The U12s will kick off the day at 10:00am, followed by the U14s at 11:15am and the
U16s at 12:30pm. The A Grade clash - between Cherbourg's Hornets and the Murgon Mustangs - will hit the field 2:00pm.
Bowls Club Bingo - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
Proston Men's Shed
- The Proston Men's Shed will be meeting at the old railway station building at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston for its regular Saturday morning meeting today, kicking off with a cuppa at 9:00am. The meeting will run until around noon, and new members are always welcome. More details? Phone Geoff on 0439-694-000.
South Burnett Soccer Grand Finals
- South Burnett Football will also be playing their 2017 Grand Finals today at Fred Kassulke Oval on the D'Aguilar Highway just south of the CBD in Nanango. Activities will kick off at 12:00 noon with the 2nd Division clash between Barambah and Wests. This will be followed by the Women's Division Grand Final at 2:00pm between Nanango and Barambah, and then the 1st Division match at 4:00pm between arch rivals Nanango and Gunners. A full bar and canteen will be operating in the grounds and spectators are very welcome! (BYO seating)
Kumbia Pop-Up Library
- The Kumbia QCWA Rooms in Bell Street, Kumbia will become a pop up library, craft and cuppa stop from 9:00am to 11:00am this morning. The QCWA Rooms will have cold drinks, hot drinks and a freshly baked morning tea on offer combined with hundreds of books, DVDs, CDs and magazines, and everyone is welcome along to browse and socialise. The pop up library occurs every 2nd and 4th Saturday.
Murgon Men's Shed
- The Murgon Men's Shed will be holding their Saturday meeting at their shed in Macalister Street, Murgon (the former Murgon Railway Station) today. The Men's Shed meets every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to work on projects and new members are always welcome.
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email.
Seafood Buffet - Murgon
- Sakina's Seafood Buffet - which is held on the 2nd Saturday of each month - will be running at the Sale Yard Cafe in Gayndah Road, Murgon at 6:30pm this evening. This BYO buffet offers everything from fresh oysters to Moreton Bay bugs, crabs, prawns and cooked seafoods, but bookings are essential if you want to be sure of a seat: (07) 4168-5701.
Scorpions Sign-Up Morning - Nanango
- The Nanango Sports Association will be holding a sign-up for the Scorpions cricket team at the Burnett Street sports fields at 9:00am this morning. Current and potential new players are very welcome!
Springtime Ball - Kumbia
- A Springtime Ball will be held at the Kumbia Memorial Hall in Bell Street, Kumbia from 8:00pm until late tonight to celebrate the Hall's 95th birthday. Music will be provided by the popular Joytimes and there'll be Old Time dancing, a delicious supper, Lucky Door Prize, Lucky Spot and a Raffle. Tickets are just $15 for adults and $8 for high school students (primary schoolers and younger are free) and they'll be available at the door. More details?
Phone David on 0459-228-882 or Gayle on (07) 4164-4175 or 0438-644-176.
Family Fun Tennis Tournament - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy & District Tennis Association will be holding a Family Fun Tennis Tournament at thee tennis courts in Oliver Bond Street, Kingaroy from 8:00am this morning.
Trivia Night - Proston
- The Proston QCWA and Coverty Rural Fire Brigade will be holding an Australiana-themed Trivia Night at the Proston Community Hall in Rodney Street, Proston from 5:00pm this evening. Play will be in tables of 8 and there are great prizes to be won, as well as a multi-draw raffle. The QCWA will be providing the catering and admission fees apply.
Nanango Stamp Club Meeting
- The Nanango Stamp Club will be holding its second Saturday of the month meeting at Nanango RSL in Henry Street, Nanango from 10:00am onwards this morning, followed by lunch for those who'd like to stay on for a bite afterwards. The club is the South Burnett's sole affiliated member of the Queensland Philatelic Council and promotes the hobby of stamp collecting in our region. It meets on the second Saturday morning of each month, and anyone interested in stamp collecting is very welcome to come along for a fun morning out with fellow collectors. More details? Phone Doug on (07) 4163-3013.
Kingaroy Junior Cricket Sign-On
- A sign-on for Kingaroy junior cricketers will be held at Lyle Vidler Oval in Youngman Street, Kingaroy (just next to Beangrowers) from 9:00am to noon this morning. Existing players and potential new players are all welcome.
70s Family Dance Night - Yarraman
- A 70s Family Dance Night will be held at the Yarraman Memorial Hall in Browne Street, Yarraman from 6:00pm to around 11:00pm tonight. The dance has been organised by the Yarraman Progress Association and everyone is welcome.
Kumbia Debutante Ball
- POSTPONED: The Kumbia Debutante Ball was to have been held at Kumbia Hall in Bell Street tonight, but it was postponed to 2018 in June.
Saturday, 09 September 2017