September 15, 2020
The COVID-19 pandemic has led to the cancellation of another traditional South Burnett event … the annual Salvation Army Christmas Day community lunch in Kingaroy.
The small committee that organises the lunch met on Tuesday and decided that because of uncertainty over what would be happening in December, the lunch was not able to go ahead.
There were concerns that current health restrictions would substantially lower the number of guests and volunteers who could attend.
The age and vulnerability of many potential diners to COVID-19 was also an issue.
The lunch, which runs under the banner of the Salvation Army, is supported by local businesses – including South Burnett CTC, South Burnett Online and Burnett Today – and Kingaroy service clubs including Lions, Rotary and Quota.
* * *
Other events cancelled or postponed recently due to COVID-19 include:
- The Yarraman Horse Ride – which was to be held on September 5
- Kingaroy Bookarama – postponed from September to March 13-14, 2021
- Wondai Spring Garden Expo – which was to be held on September 26-27
- Kingaroy Triathlon – which was to be held on October 3-4
- Top Of The Blackbutt Range Bazaar – which was to be held on October 4
- Kingaroy Christmas Carnival – which was to be held on December 10
- Chinchilla Melon Festival – which was to be held on February 18-21, 2021