January 5, 2022
Rural and urban fire crews worked for hours to extinguish a fire in hundreds of tonnes of peanut shells being stored in large industrial sheds at Mannuem on Wednesday.
Fire crews were called to the blaze, in a complex off Reedy Creek Road, at 3:43am.
Heavy earthmoving equipment was brought in to break up the piles of smouldering shells and remove them from buildings so firefighters could get to the seat of the fire.
The buildings suffered severe structural damage.
It is believed the fire began through spontaneous combustion which can occur if peanut shells become damp.