June 1, 2021
Winter’s officially arrived … so it must be time for the annual Queensland Winter Craft Festival at Kingaroy Art Gallery!
The two-month celebration of everything crafty features exhibitions and demonstrations, a quilt trail and workshops.
There’s also a beautiful quilt, donated by Alana Watts, to be won in the Winter Craft Festival raffle.
Tickets are $2 and are available at the gallery. The winner will be drawn on July 25 at 2:00pm.
The official opening of the festival is this Friday night from 5:30pm – mulled wine and pumpkin soup is promised! – but the galleries are already packed with displays.
- External link: More information is available online
* * *
New for 2021 Winter Craft Festival is the Quilt Trail which covers eight venues across the South Burnett.
The trail sites invite visitors to drop in from 10:00am to 4:30pm on July 24-25. Entry is free and refreshments will be available at some venues.
Items will be on display at the Kingaroy Art Gallery as well as The Quilter’s Rest (Gordonbrook), Mulanah Gardens (Benair), Pottique (Coolabunia), QCWA Kumbia, QCWA Kingaroy, Somethings Country (Kingaroy) and Sew Much More (Kingaroy).
* * *
- Gallery 1 – “Farm To Fashion Isolation Creations” from The Alpaca Collective. This is a collection of textile creations by Julia and Kirsten Jeffery, Sam Bowler and Myrie Cobby.
- Gallery 2 – The Red Earth Ruggers and Crafters have taken over the walls with “What’s Old Is New Again”, an exhibition of various forms of rugmaking, knitting and crochet with a display of handiwork from from past generations as well as a “work in progress” which people can add to as part of an ongoing project. The group will also be again taking part in “K4BN” (ie. Knitting For Brisbane’s Needy – donations of wool gratefully accepted!).
- Gallery 3 – Potter Fay Stumm has a “Frozen Garden” made up of sculptural forms, large and small.
All three galleries will get a makeover for July.
- Gallery 1 – Tangled Threads are taking over the gallery with their “The Road Untravelled” collection of textile art.
- Gallery 2 – Creative Creations has “Aide Memoire” which aims to turn memories into textile art.
- Gallery 3 – Crochet expert Rhonda Schultz will be sharing the space with works by members of the Booie Spinners and Weavers Group.
* * *
All demonstrations are from 10:00am to noon
- Mondays – Spinning and weaving with the Alpaca Collective
- Tuesdays & Fridays – Rug making and knitting with the Red Ruggers and Crafters
- June 3 – Dichroic jewellery with Diana Bolton
- June 7 – Paper tole with Rosemarie Matthews-Frederick
- June 16 – Creating Faberge eggs with Trevor Mitchell
- June 21 – Paper tole with Rosemarie Matthews-Frederick
- July 14 – Creating Faberge eggs with Trevor Mitchell
- July 22 – The Art of Amigurumi (toys) with Rhonda Schultz
* * *
Numbers are very limited at these workshops. More information and bookings can be made at the Kingaroy Art Gallery or phone (07) 4189-9323.
- June 5-6 – Making Treasures You Can Wear – Dichroic jewellery making. $35, includes glass and materials
- June 12 -13 – Make A Clay Outback Dunny – Hands-on clay workshop. $50, includes all materials and kiln costs
- June 16 – Books, Braid and Baklava! – Fun with folded books followed by Japanese braiding. $20
- June 19 – Clay Therapy Workshop – Create a vase using coil and slab techniques. $50, includes materials and firing
- June 23 – Photography Information Workshop – $20
- June 26 – Kokedama Workshop – Make a string ball plant. $40, includes all materials
- June 27 – Card-Making Workshop – The art of paper crafting. $20, includes all supplies and kit to make four cards
- June 28 – Kids Workshop – Learn how to weave and loom. $15
- June 30 – Dry Pastel Workshop – For kids of all ages. $5, includes paper and pastels
- July 1 – Yarn Art – Kids workshop. $5, includes all materials
- July 3 – Learn To Create A Beanie. $25 (BYO 4.5mm hook and 8 ply yarn)
- July 4 – Mosaic Workshop – $45, includes all materials
- July 6 – Photography Information Workshop – $20
- July 7 – Learn To Play With Acrylics – $10, includes board and paint
- July 8 – Yarn Art – Kids workshop. $5, includes all materials
- July 10 – Faberge Egg Workshop – $40, includes egg, paints etc
- July 15 – Learn How To Make Crochet Flowers – $15, includes materials
- July 17 – Get Squared – For people with basic crochet skills – $50 (BYO 4.5mm or 6mm hook)
- July 21 – Bubbles, Bowls and Baskets – Enjoy chicken and champagne, then decorate a pottery bowl and create a hand-woven basket. $35.
- July 24 – Learn To Spin – Hands-on workshop. $25 (BYO wheel, although some wheels will be available)
NB. Some workshops are dependent on bookings. Details correct at the time of publishing (June 1)
* * *
- Winter Is Coming To Kingaroy Gallery (2021)
- Artist Explores A New Silk Road (2019)
- Cracking Time With Mosaics (2019)
- Winter Ushers In Craft Festival (2019)
- Craft Festival Showcases Local Skills (2018)
- Winter Officially Starts At Gallery (2018)
- Chill Out With Winter Crafts (2018)
- Wonderful Winter Planned At Gallery (2018)
- Invitation To All Craftspeople (2018)
- Three Days Left To See Exhibitions (2017)
- Crafty Festival Opens On Friday (2017)
- Exhibition Offers Something For Everyone (2016)
- Gallery Hosts A Crafty Exhibition (2016)
- Winter Arrives At Kingaroy Gallery (2016)