January 8, 2021
Anyone in the South Burnett who has visited the Greater Brisbane area – even for a medical appointment – since January 2 should self-isolate from 6:00pm on Friday, Mayor Brett Otto has warned.
Mayor Otto told southburnett.com.au he had spoken to Deputy Premier Steven Miles on Friday afternoon.
Dr Miles had emphasised the importance that anyone who had visited Brisbane should self-isolate until 6:00pm on Monday.
This includes South Burnett residents and any visitors or travellers currently in the South Burnett.
Mayor Otto said the same restrictions would apply to people in self-isolation as those that are applying in the Greater Brisbane area, ie. they can only leave home to do essential shopping and must wear a face mask when not inside their homes.
The requirement to self-isolate does not apply to other household members who have not been in Brisbane.
The Mayor said the Local Disaster Management Group had not yet met but was monitoring the situation.
Toowoomba Mayor Paul Antonio issued a similar alert.
Mayor Antonio said while the Toowoomba Region was excluded from the lockdown area, it was imperative for residents to abide by the latest update.
“As the State Government has recommended, residents should avoid visiting the lockdown areas,” Mayor Antonio said.
“Anyone who does enter the areas listed will have to follow the lockdown guidelines.
“Council will continue to monitor all State and Federal Government announcements and will act in accordance with any directives to keep our region safe.”
- External link: Greater Brisbane 3-Day Lockdown (State Government)
* * *
A Darling Downs Health spokesperson said a pop-up drive-in testing site would be available at Kingaroy Hospital, accessible via Albert Street, this weekend.
“This site will be open from 8:00am to 4:00pm this weekend. You do not need to phone ahead before getting tested at this site,” the spokesperson said.
“We are closely monitoring the evolving situation and are prepared to keep this testing site open longer if needed. We are also prepared to open further pop-up testing sites at short notice if required.”
The spokesperson said COVID-19 testing continues to be available at any hospital emergency department.
“Please phone the hospital before coming in to discuss your arrival with staff. In an emergency, please phone Triple Zero (000).”
Common symptoms of COVID-19 include:
- Sore throat
- Runny nose
- Shortness of breath
- Vomiting or nausea
- Loss of taste or smell
* * *
From Cherbourg Aboriginal Shire Council:
- If you are in Brisbane, stay there until Tuesday, unless you are an essential worker.
- If you are in community but have been in Greater Brisbane since January 2, you should stay there if possible until Tuesday, January 12, instead of returning to Brisbane. While in community stay home, wear a mask with other family who haven’t been to Brisbane, wear masks if you are going outside for essentials.
For more information, visit the Cherbourg Council website
* * *
More fragments of the virus that causes COVID-19 have been detected in Queensland sewage.
Chief Health Officer Dr Jeannette Young said viral fragments of SARS-CoV-2 had been detected at wastewater treatment plants at Gibson Island (South Brisbane), Cleveland Bay (Townsville), Pulgul (Hervey Bay), Maryborough and Redcliffe.
“Given the recent case of community transmission in Brisbane and the regular detection of cases in other States, I am urging anyone who feels unwell in (these) communities to get tested and isolate,” Dr Young said.
The latest detections follow positive traces confirmed at other locations across Queensland since mid-December, including Warwick, Stanthorpe, Loganholme, Cairns, Bundamba, Merrimac, Victoria Point, Oxley Creek, Goodna, Fairfield, Cairns North, Redcliffe, Nambour, Bundaberg, Elanora, Wynnum and Bargara.