August 18, 2020
Agriculture Minister David Littleproud has defended the Australian wine industry over allegations of dumping made by Chinese officials.
The Chinese Ministry of Commerce announced on Tuesday a year-long “anti-dumping” investigation would be held into Australian wine.
China is Australia’s largest export market for wine.
The move follows the imposition of huge tariffs on Australian barley earlier this year after a similar “anti-dumping” inquiry.
“Anti-dumping” and “anti-subsidy” tariffs of 80.5 per cent were imposed on barley in May, threatening $600 million in exports .
Mr Littleproud said Australian farmers were among the most efficient and least subsidised producers in the world.
“While we respect the right of any nation to defend their domestic producers from unfair and uncompetitive trade practices, we reject any claim that Australian wine product has been ‘dumped’ into China,” Mr Littleproud said.
“I note that this anti-dumping investigation will run for up to 12 months, and I am committed to working with the Australian wine industry to ensure that all necessary information is provided to refute any claim that Australian wine is being dumped.
“Australia produces some of the best quality and most popular wine in the world, with our wines exported to numerous markets globally.
“That reputation has been recognised by Chinese consumers who have helped make China our largest export market with $1.1 billion exported in 2019-20.
“The Australian Government will continue to work closely with industry to fight these claims.”