April 30, 2109
The State Government has announced it will spend more than $320 million to build and expand youth detention centres in Queensland in a bid to stop re-offending.
The plans include:
Child Safety Minister Farmer said the moves were the next step in implementing the State Government’s Youth Justice Strategy which was announced last year.
“This investment will expand the current statewide capacity from 254 beds to 302 beds, ensuring we have better and safer conditions for young people in detention and our staff,” she said.
“Our focus remains on reducing offending rates and preventing young people ever needing to be placed in detention,” she said.
“We can’t keep doing the same thing and expect a different result – we need to invest in programs and initiatives which work.
“For example, we’re providing $28.7 million over four years to expand our Transition 2 Success program, which helps young people into the workforce or back to school, and a further $27 million to expand restorative justice programs.
“There is good evidence to show that these programs work to prevent re-offending.
“Of the young people who go through Transition 2 Success programs or Restorative Justice conferencing, almost 6 out of 10 don’t go on to reoffend.
“More than that, we are seeing young people become productive members of society, undertaking education or getting jobs.”