October 11, 2018
Warning now cancelled
At 3:27pm on Thursday, the Bureau of Meteorology issued a TORNADO WARNING for north-west of Kilkivan:
Very dangerous thunderstorms north-west of Kilkivan were expected to continue their north-east track.
Very large hail and destructive winds with tornado are expected within the core of these cells.
At 3:25pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar near the ranges between Gympie and Murgon, Goomeri, Kilkivan and the area north of Goomeri.
These thunderstorms are moving towards the north-east.
They are forecast to affect the area north-west of Gympie and the area north of Kilkivan by 3:55pm and Bauple, the area north of Gympie and Mount Kanighan by 4:25pm.
Destructive winds, large hailstones and a tornado are likely.
- Tornado reported south-west Tansey (north-west of Murgon) at 3:12pm
- Tennis ball size hail (up to 7cm) was reported at Kumbia about noon
- 4-5cm hail reported between Proston and Murgon
- 3-5cm hail reported at and near Gympie
- Vast property and vegetation damage across all affected towns
Related article: Three Injured By Hail