August 18, 2016
Moreton Resources – the company hoping to build an open cut coal mine in the Coolabunia / Goodger area – notified the ASX on Thursday that the proposal had been declared a “Coordinated Project” by the State Government.
“This is a significant advancement for the company who (sic) has spent the past few months negotiating a path forward for what is a potentially significant project for the South Burnett region,” Managing Director Jason Elks said in the statement to the ASX.
“A copy of the Initial Advice Statement is available on the company’s website and we encourage the market to view that extensive document.
“This comes on the back of a notification from the Commonwealth Department of Environment and Energy that the project has also been declared a ‘Controlled Action’ as per the application put forward by the fully owned subsidiary Tarong Basin Coal Pty Ltd.
“Both of these initial declarations now allow the company to advance this prospective project.
“It is expected that over the coming 12-24 months, a number of legislative approvals processes will be undertaken and as such, the company will keep stakeholders advised upon its advancements as this process continues.
“The company is seeking to advance this important project while maintaining our fundamental commitment to engage, consult and liaise with the community within the South Burnett and as such will endeavour to continue to progress community consultation and awareness.”
On August 1, Moreton Resources notified the ASX it had lodged the application with the Queensland Coordinator General’s Office.
“This is on the basis that the company believes the size and scale of the project, the investment required, and the positive economic impacts predicted are fitting of the legislative parameters for such a declaration,” Mr Elks said in the ASX statement.
“As such, the company has been in talks since May 2016 with the Department of State Development through the Office of the Co-ordinator-General and the finalised application was submitted in late July 2016.”
* * *
Moreton Resources also released its 2016 Annual Report to the ASX on Thursday. The document can be downloaded here (19Mb PDF)
* * *
- KCCG Demands Pre-Mining Health Tests
- Crowd Votes Down Mine … Again
- Moreton Faces $8m Tax Bill
- KCCG To Hold Second Anti-Mine Forum
- KCCG Plans Second Forum
- Nannas Take To The Highway
- Kingaroy Coal Mine To Require Federal Approval
- Moreton Looks For Silver Lining
- Between A Rock And Taabinga Village
- Moreton Re-issues Update
- Market Awaits Moreton News
- Moreton Predicts 400-600 Jobs At Mine
- Airport Blocks Cut From Coal Permit
- KCCG Rejects Phone Poll
- Phone Poll Backs Mine: Moreton
- Moreton Takes Mining Plan Out To The People
- KCCG Will Speak To Council
- Nannas Knit Against Mine
- KCCG Meets With State Government
- Coal Mine Fight Spreads
- Moreton Resources Unveils Mine Partner
- Meetings To Discuss Mine
- Moreton Plans To Start Seeking Permits
- Moreton’s Coal ‘Too Expensive’
- Kingaroy Coal Mine? No Way!
- Public Meeting To Discuss Coal Mine
- Stanwell Still Says ‘No’
- Moreton Releases Mine Study Results
- Moreton Resources Eyes Rail Link
- Moreton Buys More Resources
- Mining CEO Talks To Council
- KCCG Sees No Future For Mine
- Green Light For ‘Next Step’
- Moreton Board To Consider ‘Next Step’
- Moreton Resources Splits Off South Burnett Holdings
- Moreton Resources Extends Licence
- Controversial UCG Plant Vanishes
- UCG Plant Starts To Disappear
- Moreton To Begin Mine Concept Study
- Moreton Responds To MP’s Comments
- Moreton Aims To Press On
- Stanwell ‘Rejecting Billions In Savings’
- Stanwell Rules Out Moreton Coal
- ‘Enough Coal For 30-Plus Years’
- Concept Study Next Step For Proposed Coal Mine
- Moreton Triples Coal Estimates
- Coal Mine Review Delayed To July