On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Tuesday, 07 November 2017
Melbourne Cup DayToday is the first Tuesday in November: Melbourne Cup Day. This is a gazetted public holiday in Victoria and an unofficial public holiday virtually everywhere else in Australia. While nearly all businesses in the South Burnett will attempt to trade as normal - and all government and public offices will be open for the daily grind - the majority of people will either be taking a bit of time out or abandoning any pretence of following a normal day's routine from about noon onwards. As usual, the South Burnett will be celebrating the occasion with a number of Melbourne Cup Day functions along with the Kumbia Race Club's annual Melbourne Cup Day Race Meeting (see entry immediately below) - a really great bush race meeting that's become something quite special to all of us over the years. But if you can't make it trackside at Kumbia yourself, here's how the rest of us will be celebrating our uniquely Australian love of the turf around the region today:
46th Annual Kumbia Melbourne Cup Race Day Meeting
- The Kumbia Racing Club will be holding their 46th Annual Melbourne Cup Day Race Meeting at the Kumbia racetrack from about 9:00am this morning through until 5:00pm this afternoon (the first race leaves the barriers around 12:45pm). This very popular 5-card event is the only live Cup Day race meeting in the South Burnett and it always attracts a great crowd. This year also marks the Kumbia Race Club's 90th birthday so there'll be an extra special Fashions of the Field parade with really great prizes for the best-dressed man and woman and the most spectacular hat. There'll also be a bar, BBQ, and the Luncheon Hall in operation, along with the lively Kumbia State School Wine & Cheese Bar, plus full Sky-TV race meeting coverage, a vigorous betting ring, and big screen coverage of that other race meeting in Melbourne. Admission is just $10 for adults and $5 for concessions. More details? Contact the Kumbia Race Club Secretary on (07) 4163-7200.
Melbourne Cup Day Lunch - Nanango
- Nanango RSL in Henry Street, Nanango will be holding a Melbourne Cup Day lunch today. The club's doors will open at 10:00am and guests can enjoy free entry, a courtesy bus, a Best Dressed competition, full table service and big screen coverage of the race. Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone the RSL on (07) 4163-1375.
Melbourne Cup Day Lunch - Murgon
- The Murgon Services Club in Lamb Street, Murgon will be holding a Melbourne Cup Day Lunch from noon today. Guests can get to enjoy a two course lunch - which includes a free drink on arrival and a free bet, along with big screen coverage of the race - for $25 per head. Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone the club on (07) 4168-1819.
Melbourne Cup Day Lunch - Blackbutt
- The Blackbutt RSL at the corner of Douglas and Muir Streets in Blackbutt will be holding a BYO Melbourne Cup Lunch today. Doors will open at 10:00am and the first race of the day will screen at 10:40am, with the big race occurring around 2:00pm. Guests are encouraged to bring a plate for a shared lunch, but everyone is welcome!
Melbourne Cup Fun Day - Blackbutt
- The Blackbutt Golf Club at 51 Langton Road in Blackbutt will be holding a Melbourne Cup Fun Day from 10:00am this morning, kicking off with a 9 hole golf competition followed by a bite to eat and watching the race back at the clubhouse. More details from the club on (07) 4163-0180.
Melbourne Cup Day Get-Together - Maidenwell
- The Maidenwell Hotel will be holding a Melbourne Cup Day Get-Together today. The hotel's kitchen will be running, the big screen TV will be screening the big race, there'll be sweeps, and travellers are welcome to use the hotel's free camping area if they want to stay overnight. Everyone is welcome! More details from the hotel on (07) 4164-6133.
Melbourne Cup Day Lunch - Proston
- A Melbourne Cup Day Lunch will be held at the Proston Community Hall in Rodney Street, Proston from 10:00am today. Guests at this $20 per head event can get to enjoy a great two-course lunch, sweeps, and watching the big race live onscreen. Tickets can be obtained from Leanne at Proston Post Office or by phoning Val on (07) 4168-9391.
Melbourne Cup Day Lunch - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy will be holding a $20 per head Melbourne Cup Day Lunch today. Guests will get to enjoy a complimentary glass of Moscato or soft drink on arrival, and a two-course "grazing plate" lunch. There'll also be big screen coverage of the race and sweeps. Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone the RSL on (07)4162-4881
Blackbutt Singers AGM - Yarraman
- The Blackbutt Singers will holding their Annual General Meeting at the Yarraman Community Hall in Browne Street, Yarraman from 11:30am to around 1:00pm today.
The AGM will discuss various past and future events and also elect the group's executive committee for 2018. All positions are open (ie Music Director, President, Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary). Everybody is welcome! More details? Call Rosie on (07) 4170-0880.
Danny's Diner - Kingaroy
- Danny's Diner - a free community dinner - will be held at the Uniting Church Hall at the corner of Alford and Youngman streets in Kingaroy from 5:30pm to 7:00pm tonight. The dinner is an initiative of the Kingaroy District Ministry Association for the benefit of anyone who's hungry or otherwise doing it tough. While an RSVP isn't essential, it would be appreciated to help plan the catering. You can make one by phoning Lenelle on (07) 4162-8482. You can also read more about Danny's Diner on our website.
Proston Men's Shed
- The Proston Men's Shed will be meeting at the old railway station building at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston for its regular Tuesday meeting today, kicking off with a cuppa at 9:00am. The meeting will run until around noon, and new members are always welcome. More details? Phone Geoff on 0439-694-000.
Tuesday Night Trivia - Kingaroy
- Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy will be holding its regular Tuesday Night Trivia games this evening. Registrations start at 6:30pm and play starts at 7:00pm. Registration is just $2 and play is in teams of six. More details from the RSL: (07) 4162-1755.
Zumba Class - Kingaroy
- A Zumba fitness class run by Ange George will be held at the Anglican Church Hall in Alford Street, Kingaroy at 6:00pm this evening. Classes are held at the same time and place every Tuesday and Thursday. Class fees apply.
Blackbutt Car Enthusiasts Club
- The Blackbutt Car Enthusiasts Club will be holding its first Tuesday of the month meeting at the Blackbutt RSL at the corner of Muir and Douglas Streets, Blackbutt at 7:00pm tonight. The club is for motoring enthusiasts - any make, model and vintage are welcome - and in addition to sharing their love of motoring, members take part in monthly runs and attend other local events for Show & Shines. New members are always welcome! More details? Phone Peter on (07) 4170-0289, Chris on 0427-782-573 or Dave on 0499-258-881.
Maidenwell QCWA Meeting
- The Maidenwell branch of the QCWA will be holding their monthly meeting at the Maidenwell Hall Supper Room from 8:45am this morning (when things will kick off with a welcoming cuppa) through until this afternoon. The branch meeting itself will commence at 9:30am and all ladies in the Maidenwell and Bunya Mountains areas are very welcome to come along and meet the other branch members! You can obtain more details by phoning Glenda on (07) 4164 6137 or by emailing her.
Tuesday Morning Croquet - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Croquet Club will be playing croquet games at the rear of the Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman Street, Kingaroy from 9:00am to around 11:30am this morning. New members are always welcome and a $2 lesson is available if you'd like tuition in the basics (all equipment is supplied). More details? Phone (07) 4163-6022.
Elgin Vale QCWA Meeting
- The Elgin Vale branch of the QCWA will be holding their monthly meeting at the Elgin Vale QCWA Rooms at the corner of Manumbar Raod and Porters Road, Nanango from 10:00am to around 12:00 noon today. New members are always very welcome! More details? Phone Lois on (07) 4162-3824
South Burnett Chorale - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Chorale will be holding their regular Tuesday practice night at the Church of Christ Hall at the corner of Haly and Burnett Streets in Kingaroy from 7:00pm to 9:00pm this evening. The Chorale meets every Tuesday night during school terms, and new members are always very welcome! More details? Phone Margie on 0424-924-632.
Tuesday Night Indoor Bowls - Wondai
- The Wondai Indoor Bowls Club will be holding its regular Tuesday meeting at the Wondai Town Hall in Mackenzie Street, Wondai at 7:30pm this evening. Three games of 12 ends are played, lasting up to three hours, and playing fees are $3. New members are always welcome and you can find out more details by phoning secretary Christine Rasmussen at Wondai on (07) 4169-0995, Maryanne Pearce at Tingoora on (07) 4169 0776, or Faye Holding at Goomeri on (07) 4168 4494.
Nanango Scout Club Meeting
- The Nanango Scout Club - which meets every Tuesday night during school terms - will be holding its regular weekly meeting at the Scout Den at 40 Henry Street, Nanango (just next to the police station) from 5:30pm to around 7:00pm tonight. The group currently has three sections in operation: Joeys (for children aged 6 to 8 years); Cubs (8-11 years); and Scouts (11-15 years). New members are always very welcome, and so are new leaders and youth members for all sections. More details? Phone Shirley Masnata on (07) 4163-7455 or send her an email.
Country Crafters Meeting - Blackbutt
- The Blackbutt Country Crafters will be holding their regular Tuesday morning meeting at the Uniting Church Hall in Coulson Street, Blackbutt from 9:30am to 2:00pm today. The group caters for people interested in crafts and new members are always welcome. More details? Phone June on (07) 4170-0054 or Roslyn on (07) 4163-0682
Tuesday Social Bowls - Nanango
- The Nanango Bowls Club in Henry Street, Nanango will be holding social lawn bowls games from 12:30pm this afternoon. Dress standard is mufti and new players are very welcome. More details from the club: (07) 4163-3363.
Tuesday, 07 November 2017