On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 04 November 2017
2017 Murgon Music Muster
- The third (and main) day of the four-day Murgon Music Muster will get underway at the PCYC complex next to the Murgon Showgrounds in Macalister Street, Murgon at 8:00am this morning with a Poet's Breakfast that will last until 9:30am. This will be followed from 10:00am until late by an Invited Artists Concert with this year's featured acts taking the stage around 8:00pm. The Muster is being organised by the Murgon Rotary Club and it features a wide range of country and bush balladeering talents. Lunch and dinner will be available in the grounds too, along with an indoor bar. Admission today is $25 and overnight camping is available in the showgrounds for between $7 (unpowered) and $9 (powered) per night if you want to camp over.
Nanango Country Markets
- The Nanango Show Society will be holding their regular monthly Country Markets at the Nanango Showgrounds in Cairns Street from 6:00am to around 12:00 noon today. As usual, the markets will feature a wide variety of craft stalls, new and used goods, plants, poultry and pets. The Nanango Markets are the largest rural market in south east Queensland and routinely attract 300 to 400 stallholders. But new stallholders are always very welcome too! More info? Phone the Market Co-Ordinator on (0427) 631-273 during business hours.
Murgon Men's Shed
- The Murgon Men's Shed will be holding their Saturday meeting at their shed in Macalister Street, Murgon (the former Murgon Railway Station) today. The Men's Shed meets every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to work on projects and new members are always welcome.
Trivia Night - Nanango
- A Trivia Night will be held at the Nanango Cultural Centre in George Street, Nanango from 6:00pm (for a 6:30pm start) until late tonight. This event is a fundraiser for the Nanango and District Netball Club to help build new netball courts, and play will be in tables of 8. There'll also be appetiser platters available as well as a licensed bar (no BYO). Tickets are $80 per table and need to be booked and paid for no later than October 30. More details? Bookings? Phone Sally on 0439-215-237 or email her.
Bowls Club Bingo - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
South Burnett Shed Men - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Shed Men will be holding their 54th meeting at Phil Matthews' shed and stables at 1001 Kumbia-Brooklands Road about 20km south-west of Kingaroy from 3:30pm to around 7:00pm this evening (follow the Bunya Highway from Kingaroy, turn left at Taabinga Homestead turn-off and continue for about 20km - look for signs). Phil breeds, trains and sells stock horses and he'll be demonstrating his skills and showing the novelty of horse sense. Greg Chaseling, a former local plumber now working in New Guinea and the surrounding islands will be the meeting's special guest speaker and all men and young blokes are very welcome along. The $15 meeting fee includes a BBQ dinner and dessert, tea/coffee and soft drinks, but under-15s can come along for free. However - to help plan the catering - an RSVP by October 30 would be greatly appreciated. More details? Phone Lester on (07) 4162-1833 or Don on (07) 4162-7130.
Taabinga State School Community Spring Fete
- Taabinga State School in Kingaroy Street, Kingaroy will be holding its 2017 Community Spring Fete on the school's oval from 11:00am to around 9:00pm today. The fete will feature market stalls, rides, food and drinks, live entertainment, raffles and lots of fun and games throughout the day, and in the evening adults can enjoy some live music, have a drink from the bar or enjoy a yummy meal while the children are happily occupied in a supervised movie area. There'll also be a great fireworks display at around 8:30pm, and everyone is welcome! Note: If you're interested in having a stall at the fete yourself, phone Jacqueline on 0402-289-608
Pepper Jane - Blackbutt
- Entertainer Pepper Jane will be performing at the Scrubby Creek Bar next to the Bunya Nut Cafe in Coulson Street, Blackbutt from 6:00pm tonight. Everyone is welcome and there's no admission charge.
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email.
Proston Men's Shed
- The Proston Men's Shed will be meeting at the old railway station building at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston for its regular Saturday morning meeting today, kicking off with a cuppa at 9:00am. The meeting will run until around noon, and new members are always welcome. More details? Phone Geoff on 0439-694-000.
Brisbane Valley Rail Trail 100km Cycling Challenge
- The Brisbane Valley Rail Trail 100km Cycling Challenge between Esk and Yarraman will kick off at 6:00am this morning at Pipeliner Park in Esk and conclude around 2:00pm this afternoon at Station Park in Yarraman. This marathon - for experienced and fit off-road cyclists - is offering two first prizes of a luxury weekend for two valued at $600 at the Wiikirri B & B Retreat in Blackbutt for the first man and woman to cross the finish line, but all participants who complete the course in 8 hours or less will receive a beautiful certificate of achievement. Ride fees are $85 for BVRT members or $95 for non-members, and there'll be a shuttle bus to take riders and their bikes back to Esk for $25. There'll also be an after party at Yarraman's Royal Hotel with an all-you-can-eat pig on a spit lunch for $27 that everyone's welcome to come along to. More details? Join the BVRT100 Discussion Group.
Queensland State Titles - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Junior Motorcycle Speedway Club will be hosting the Under 16 125cc Solo State Title and the 125cc Best Pairs State Title at their track on the main oval of Kingaroy Showgrounds in Youngman Street, Kingaroy today. Junior motorcycle riders from all over Queensland will be taking part in these competitions and spectators can expect to see some great motorcycle action. The solo racing will begin at 10:00am and the Pairs at 2:00pm. Admission for spectators is free. More details? Phone Tracey on 0407-623-012.
Dance - Inverlaw Hall
- A dance will be held at Inverlaw Hall on the Burrandowan Road (roughly 20km from Kingaroy) from 8:00pm until late this evening. Music will be supplied by Toptunes and there'll be the usual great supper and novelties, along with a Lucky Door draw. Admission fees are $10.00 for adults, $5.00 for high school students and everyone is welcome! More details? Phone June on (07) 4162-1195 or David on 0459-228-882.
Saturday Golf - Kingaroy and Murgon
- The Kingaroy Golf Club on the Bunya Highway south-west of town will be holding its annual Holden Scramble today. This is a 4 person ambrose and registrations need to be in by 10:00am for a shotgun start at 10:30am. More details? Phone the golf club on (07) 4162-1720. Meanwhile, the Murgon Golf Club on the Bunya Highay north of Murgon's CBD will be holding their annual Brian Mobbs Memorial Golf Day from 8:30am this morning - a fundraiser for research into motor neuron disease. Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone the golf club on (07) 4168-1608.
Urban Booty Shaking Party - Kingaroy
- The Commercial Hotel at the corner of Glendon and Haly Streets, Kingaroy will be hosting the Urban Dance Knights DJ's from 8:00pm until late tonight. There'll be freestyle mcs and dance battles for prizes, and admission is free.
- The Proston Car Rally Club will be holding their quarterly CAMS Khanacross Multiclub Rally at their racing track this weekend, which also marks the club's 25th anniversary. The club's track is located 7.5km west of Proston on the Proston-Boondooma Road, and racing will commence around 12:00 noon this morning and conclude around 1:30pm tomorrow. Up to 50 cars attend Proston Rally Club meetings from all over Queensland and NSW and spectators are very welcome. There'll be a BBQ and soft drinks stand running throughout the event, as well as a hearty breakfast supplied by the Proston Lions club early on Sunday morning. Hot showers, toilets and free camping are available on site too. Admission to the Rally is 100% free for spectators, $50 for adult participants and $25 for juniors. More details? Phone Barry on (07) 4168-9447 or Sonia on 0411-689-447.
Jacaranda Day - Goombungee
- Goombungeee will be celebrating its annual Jacaranda Day festival today, kicking off with markets that will start at 8:00am, and which will be followed by the town's annual first Saturday of November rodeo at 3:00pm. In between there'll be displays of the town's history at the Rosalie Shire Historical Society Museum, an exhibition at the Rosalie Gallery, lots of displays of vintage machinery and engines, children's entertainment, open gardens, live music from local bands, decorated trees in Mocatta Street, self-guided historic walking tours of the CBD, food and fun. Everyone is welcome!
Count Us In - Kingaroy
- A combined South Burnett massed primary schools choir will be performing at the Kingaroy Town Hall forecourt in Glendon Street at 10:00am this morning to celebrate music education. A coffee van and sausage sizzle will also be operating on site, and everyone is welcome. Note: Students who wish to perform in this morning's concert should be on site by 9:45am.
At The Wineries
- Three of the South Burnett's wineries will be open for lunch today. At Moffatdale, Moffatdale Ridge will have their cellar door verandah cafe open for light meals and snacks from 10:00am to 4:00pm. And in Kingaroy, Cranes Winery and Kingsley Grove will be open the same hours, serving up wines and platters (at Cranes) and wines, cheese platters and wood-fired pizzas (at Kingsley Grove). You can find out more about all three wineries (including location maps and phone numbers) on South Burnett Wine.
Judo Tournament - Murgon
- The Murgon Judo Club will be holding a Grass Roots Tournament at Murgon Town Hall in Gore Street, Murgon from 12:00 noon today (competition starts at 1:00pm and runs to around 5:00pm). Admission is $10 for participants but spectators are free, and everyone is welcome.
Tucker And Chop - Kingaroy
- Popular local duo Tucker and Chop will be performing in the front bar of the Kingaroy Hotel-Motel at the corner of Youngman and Haly Streets, Kingaroy from 8:00pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1677.
Older & Wiser - Kingaroy
- Entertainers Older and Wiser will be performing at the Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy from 7:00pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from the RSL on (07) 4162-1755
Kennel Jam Session - Hivesville
- The monthly Kennel Jam Session will be held at the Hivesville Hotel in Main Street, Hivesville from 5:00pm until late tonight. All musicians young and old are welcomed at these sessions, and so are all music genres. All the necessary backline gear is provided, too - just bring along your guitar, your voice and your friends and enjoy a great night of music. Accommodation is available at special rates for music lovers on the night, there's free camping nearby, and dinner will be served from 6:00pm to 8:00pm.
Saturday, 04 November 2017