On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Friday, 16 March 2018
World's Greatest Shave - Murgon
- Murgon will be holding its annual World's Greatest Shave on the footpath outside Mark Smith's Menswear in Lamb Street from 11:00am to 1:00pm today to raise money for the Leukaemia Foundation. As usual, Alicia Pidgeon from Alicia's Spa and Hair Worx will be doing all the shaving and colouring, and the crew from CROW-FM will be providing an outside broadcast. You can read what last's year's Greatest Shave was like on our website
Advanced Tai Chi - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Arthritis & Osteoporosis Support Group will be running an advanced Tai Chi class at SBcare at the corner of Avoca and Kingaroy Streets in Kingaroy from 9:00am to 10:00am this morning. The classes aim to help relieve pain and improve quality of life, relieve stress, sharpen concentration, and improve balance, posture and mobility. Class fees are $3 for each attendance plus a $20 fee to Arthritis Queensland for insurance. Everyone is welcome. More details? Phone June 0419-026-760, Jan 0434-891-600 or Antonia 0431-149-816 (Note: these classes run every week during school terms except for public holidays).
Kingaroy RSL Bingo
- Bingo games will be running at Kingaroy RSL from 10:00am this morning (eyes down at 10:30am). There'll be four jackpots on offer, along with book games and raffles, and proceeds will go to help local good causes. Everyone is welcome. More details? Phone the RSL on (07) 4162-1755.
Friday Afternoon Croquet - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Croquet Club will be playing croquet games on the third green at the rear of the Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman Street, Kingaroy from 3:00pm this afternoon. New members are always welcome and a $2 lesson is available if you'd like tuition in the basics (all equipment is supplied). More details? Phone (07) 4163-6022.
Cuppa And Chat Group - Kingaroy
- The Cuppa and Chat Group will be holding its weekly meeting at The Biscuit Tin behind St Mary's Church at 15 Albert Street, Kingaroy from 10:00am to around 11:00am this afternoon. As the name suggests, members enjoy a cuppa and biscuits baked in the community kitchen, and simply chat about whatever interests them. More details? Phone Centacare Community Connections on (07) 4162-5439.
Friday Night At The Shed - Nanango
- The Shed in Little Drayton Street, Nanango (just next to the Scott Car Park) will be open from 7:30pm until late tonight for local musicians and anyone else who enjoys music to come along, bring their instruments and jam in a relaxed and informal setting (or just sit on the Shed's lounges, listen in and enjoy the wide variety of talent on offer). The Shed fires up every Friday night, has no admission charge and everyone is welcome. More details? Phone Jane on 0400-631-677.
Friday Afternoon Scroungers - Nanango
- The Nanango Bowls Club in Henry Street will be holding their regular Friday Afternoon Scroungers matches at 4:00pm today. A $5 match fee applies and new players are very welcome. More details from the club: (07) 4163-3363.
Art With Lyn - Nanango
- Creative Connections at 8 George Street in Nanango will be hosting art classes with artist Lyn Felsman from 10:00am to 1:00pm today. Tuition fees are $15 per person - which includes morning tea - and participants should BYO art supplies and project. To book, phone Lyn on 0421-679-258.
Mr Q - Murgon
- The South Burnett's most popular band Mr Q (Tony and Gavin Cisneros, plus friends) will be performing at the Australian Hotel in Lamb Street, Murgon from 8:00pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details? Phone the hotel on (07) 4168-1077
Over 50s Bingo - Proston
- Bingo games will be held at the Community Hall in Rodney Street, Proston from 9:00am this morning, with eyes down at 9:30am. There's a $100 jackpot on offer, and morning tea is available for $2. Over 50s Bingo is held on the first and third Friday of each month and everyone - including Under 50s - is welcome. More details? Phone Noela on (07) 4168-9296.
Friday Afternoon Social Golf - Proston
- The Proston Golf Club on Brigooda Road, Proston will be holding a Friday afternoon social golf game today. Names need to be in by 2:00pm for a 2:30pm tee-off, and everyone is welcome. More details from the club on (07) 4168-9367.
Friday Night Karaoke - Proston
- Love 2 Sing will be holding a Friday night karaoke session at the Golden Spurs Hotel in Blake Street, Proston from 7:00pm until late tonight. Everyone is welcome and admission is free. More details? Phone the hotel on (07) 4168-9272.
2018 Murgon Show
- The 2018 Murgon Show will get underway at 9:00am this morning when judges descend on the pavilions to judge this year's entries. There will be no public admittance to Murgon Showgrounds in Macalister Street while this takes place. However the gates will open to the public at 4:00pm for a Young Handler competition, followed by a BBQ at 6:00pm, then live music from Muddy Flats followed by a Talent Quest, where the top six performers will go on to compete in the finals tomorrow. There's no admission charge today to get into the grounds. The Show's main day - for which there will be an admission charge - occurs tomorrow. More details? Phone the Murgon Show Society on (07) 4168-1427.
Blue Light Roller Skating - Nanango
- The Nanango Blue Light Disco committee will be holding their latest U18s Blue Light roller skating night at the Nanango Skating Rink in George Street, Nanango from 6:00pm to 8:00pm this evening. There'll be lots of fun plus games and prizes, and a canteen will be operating too. Admission is $5, which includes skate hire. More details? Phone Nanango Police on (07) 4163-1211.
Queensland Indigenous Golf Championship - Murgon
- The first day of the three day Queensland Indigenous Golf Championship will be played at the Murgon Golf Club on the Bunya Highway south of the CBD today. The championship is open to male and female Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander amateur golfers with a Golf Australia handicap. Spectators are very welcome.
Burnett Kennel Club Championship Show - Wondai
- The first day of the annual, three day Burnett Kennel Club All Breeds Championship Dog Show will be held at the Wondai Showgrounds today. Tomorrow the event will transfer to the Murgon Showgrounds to be part of this year's Murgon Show, before returning to the Wondai Showgrounds on Sunday.
Wesleyan Food Hampers - Nanango
- Wesleyan Grace Community Food Hampers will be available at 36 Fitzroy Street, Nanango from 9:00am to 12:00 noon today. Food hampers will be available for $20.
South Burnett Pantry - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Pantry will be open from 8:30am to 12:30pm today at 22 Stolzenberg Road in Kingaroy. The Pantry is a not-for-profit registered charity run by a Board of Management and staffed by volunteers, and it helps low income families, couples and singles stretch their shopping dollar further. The Pantry offers $40 pantry hampers that contain most of the food and personal cleaning items that most people need to get through part of the week (though you'll need to shop elsewhere for extras or special items). And anyone who's finding it hard to make ends meet is very welcome to make use of it. More details? Phone Joan on (0427) 496-684 or Ruth on (0447) 812-789. PS: If you'd like to help The Pantry in any way - either by volunteering or donating goods - please contact Joanne or Ruth about this too, or visit the website.
Friday, 16 March 2018