On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 24 March 2018
78th Annual Goomeri Show
- The 78th annual Goomeri Show will be held at the Goomeri Showgrounds on the Burnett Highway at Goomeri from early this morning until late tonight. This year's Show will feature stud and prime beef cattle competitions in the main ring, along with lots of equestrian events; pavilion entries across lots of categories; a Championship Dog Show; a brand new hay stacking competition; a tug-o-war; free face painting for children; and a Giant Fireworks display at 8:00pm. There'll also be a big Sideshow Alley with laser skirmish, giant slides and a Haunted House, along with a free outdoor screening of Cars 3 from 6:00pm. The Show Society's bar will be operating all day and into the night and there'll be plenty of food stalls in the grounds, too. Admission to this year's Show is $12 for adults, $5 for children aged 13-18 and free for under-12s if accompanied by an adult. The Show will conclude tomorrow with an all-day Stockman's Challenge.
Bowls Club Bingo - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
Wondai Country Markets
- The Wondai Regional Art Gallery's popular monthly Wondai Country Markets will be operating at Coronation Park in Wondai's CBD from 7:00am to 12:00 noon today. Today's markets will feature stallholders selling fresh fruit and vegetables, arts and crafts, useful knick-knacks and clothing. There'll also be live entertainment; lots and lots of other stalls selling great gifts and goodies; and special hand-made treasures from local artisans available from the Gallery's new "Studio" building just a short stroll across the park. The BBQs will also be firing up from 6:45am to dish out hearty breakfasts for early bargain hunters. New stallholders are always very welcome (stall fees range from $10 with power and water available, if needed) and you can obtain more details by phoning the Gallery on (07) 4168-5926
or by emailing them
Saturday Soccer - Kingaroy and Nanango
- The second round of the South Burnett's 2018 soccer competition will be played in Nanango and Kingaroy today. In Nanango, home team Panthers will play Kingaroy's Wests, with the Women's Division kicking off at 1:00pm followed by the Men's Division at 3:00pm. Meanwhile, in Kingaroy, home team Gunners will play Barambah, with the Women's Division hitting the park at 4:00pm and the Men's Division at 6:00pm. Spectators are welcome at all games and a canteen will be running at both sites.
Graeme Jensen - Kingaroy
- Popular country rock entertainer Graeme Jensen will be performing at the Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy from 7:00pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from the RSL on (07) 4162-1755
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email.
Ken Baines Disco - Kingaroy
- A Ken Baines Disco will be held at St Mary's Parish Hall at 15 Albert Street, Kingaroy at 6:00pm this evening. The theme for tonight's disco is Easter and everyone is welcome.
Hard Cheese Workshop - Kingaroy
- A workshop that will teach you how to make hard cheeses like cheddar, Butter Kase, easy camembert, feta and neufchatel at home will be held at the Town Common Hall in Oliver Bond Street, Kingaroy from 10:00am to 3:30pm today. The workshop - which includes morning and afternoon tea - costs $120 per head, but the only equipment you'll need is found in most home kitchens. More details? Phone Elisabeth on 0432-180-523.
Proston Men's Shed
- The Proston Men's Shed will be meeting at the old railway station building at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston for its regular Saturday morning meeting today, kicking off with a cuppa at 9:00am. The meeting will run until around noon, and new members are always welcome. More details? Phone Geoff on 0439-694-000.
- The Nanango Show Society will be hosting the first day of its annual two-day Nanango Campdraft at the Nanango Showgrounds in Cairns Street today, starting at 6:00am and continuing until dusk. Entry is 100% free for spectators and if you start feeling peckish watching all the events, the Showground's canteen and a bar will be running, too. More information? Call the Show Society on (07) 4163-1273.
Lee Ann Hall Clinic - Nanango
- The South Burnett Western Performance Club will be holding a clinic with Lee Ann Hall at their grounds in Racecourse Road, Nanango today. The clinic is a fundraiser for Chloe Miller and a few spots are still available. More details? Phone Julie on 0472-777-005.
The Swamp Show & Shine - Wooroolin
- The Wooroolin Lions Club will be holding their first ever Swamp Show & Shine at Boggy Creek Road in Wooroolin (near the Wooroolin Hotel) from 9:00am to 3:00pm today. Today's Show & Shine will feature prizes for the best car, bike or ute and entry is just $10, with set up from 7:00am. There'll also be free face painting for kids, a jumping castle, a BBQ breakfast and lunch, raffles and market stalls on site, along with an outside broadcast by CROW-FM between 9:00am and noon. Admission for the public is free, but gold coin donations to support The Flying Peanut Les Porter in his fundraising efforts for the Endeavour Foundation would be appreciated. More details? Phone Dave on 0427-164-221.
Kingaroy Junior Cricket Presentations
- The Kingaroy Junior Cricket Association will be holding their season breakup BBQ and presentations at the Kingaroy Cricket and Sports Club in Youngman Street, Kingaroy from 5:00pm today. BBQ chicken, sausage on bread and one soft drink will be provided for each player, and the club's bar will be open for drinks purchases. All KJCA players and families are invited to attend.
Nanango Mini Market
- The new Nanango Mini Market, which runs on the 4th Saturday of each month outside the Churchyard Opp Shop at the corner of Drayton and Burnett Streets in Nanango, will be running from 7:00am to around noon this morning. Apart from offering great bargains at great prices, the markets also have a $2 sausage sizzle, $1 soft drinks and gold coin donation tea and coffee if you get peckish. New stallholders are also very welcome, with stall fees starting at just $5. More details? Phone Sue on 0419-319-981.
Murgon Men's Shed
- The Murgon Men's Shed will be holding a meeting at their shed in Macalister Street, Murgon (the former Murgon Railway Station) today. The Men's Shed meets every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to work on projects and new members are always welcome.
Saturday Rugby League
- There will only be one senior rugby league game played in the South Burnett today, but it will be a good one. The South Burnett will play Central Burnett at Jack O'Chin Oval in Cherbourg at 4:00pm this afternoon to select at team for the 47th Battalion competition. Meanwhile, in junior rugby league, the Kingaroy Red Ants will be playing against the Wondai Wolves in the third round of the junior competition at T.J. O'Neill Oval in Youngman Street, Kingaroy, with U6s hitting the oval at 8:30am; U8s at 9:30am; U10s at 10:30am; U12s at 11:45am; and U14s at 1:00pm. Gates will open at 8:00am and all the day's gate takings will be donated to Andrew Cole's family. In Nanango, the Nanango Stags juniors will be playing Murgon Mustangs' juniors at Fred Kassulke Oval, with two games in the U6s at 8:00am; two more in the U8s at 9:00am; four 20-minute halves in the U10s at 10:00am; and 3 x 20 minute halves in the U12s at noon. These will be followed by the U16s at 1:30pm; then the U14s at 2:30pm. There'll also be a minute's silence to remember Andrew Cole. And in Cherbourg, the Hornets will play Central Burnett with U6s/U8s at 1:00pm; the U10s at 2:00pm; and this will be followed by an U16s clash between Central Burnett and Kingaroy at 3:00pm before the senior game.
Junior Motorcycle Club Come & Try Day - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Junior Motorcycle Club will be holding a free Come & Try Day at their motocross track at Edenvale South Road in Kingaroy today. Sign-ons will take place at 8:00am and racing will get underway at 9:00am. Intending riders should bring their own bike, boots, helmet, gloves, long pants and a long sleeved shire. More details? Phone Brent on 0409-266-969.
Fritz Road Band - Murgon
- The Fritz Road country gospel band will be performing at the New Horizons Christian Church at 15292 Bunya Highway, Murgon from 5:30pm to around 7:00pm tonight. This is a free community event and will be held in the open air with hay bale seating, weather permitting. More details? Phone Pastor Paul Huddleston on 0402-473-000.
Saturday, 24 March 2018