On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 17 March 2018
2018 Murgon Show
- The gates will open at Murgon Showgrounds in Macalister Street, Murgon at 7:00am this morning for the second (and main) day of the 95th Annual Murgon Show. This year's Show will feature a very big range of cattle and horse events and things will move into full gear early on with judging for stud beef cattle, followed by poultry judging. There'll also be horse events for hacks and show jumping in the main arena, plus an all breeds Dog Show; a bumper Sideshow Alley; pavilion and trade exhibits; and all the fun of a great Aussie fair. This year's Murgon Show will be officially opened at around 1:15pm in front of the grandstand, followed by the Grand Parade at 2:00pm. There'll also be a spectacular fireworks display mid-way through the evening at around 7:00pm. Other things to look out for this year include a Ute Show; Miss Showgirl and Miss Junior Showgirl; the Talent Quest finals; children's entertainers; live music; a Stockman's Challenge; and a Rodeo at 6:00pm in the evening. Admission to the Show is $10 for adults; $8 for concessions; $5 for high school students; or $20 for a family (2 adults plus 2 high school age children). Children 11 and below are admitted free. More details? Phone the Murgon Show Society on (07) 4168-1427.
Yarraman Kindy Bowls Night
- The Yarraman Kindy will be holding a fun, family bowls night at the Yarraman Bowls Club in Margaret Street, Yarraman at 5:30pm tonight. The event will have a St Patricks theme and will kick off with a BBQ, followed by lawn bowls in teams of 4 at 6:00pm. There'll be prizes for the best dressed 'Green Theme', raffles and games, and a licensed bar will be operating too. Entry is $10 per player and if you don't have a team the Kindy can assign you to one. Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone Helen on 0417-724-932.
South Burnett Speedway - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Speedway Club will be holding a meeting at their track inside the Kingaroy Showgrounds in Youngman Street, Kingaroy this afternoon and evening. The focus of today's meeting will be the 12th round of the Queensland Super Sedans series, but there'll also be races between Modified Sedans, Production Sedans and Wingless Sprints (Round 10 of the IBRP Qld Club Championship). Admission is $25 for adults and $15 for concessions and students. Under 12s can get in for free if accompanied by an adult and a bar and canteen will be operating on site, too. Gates will open at 2:00pm, with the first pedals hitting the metal at around 5:40pm. You can find out more on the Speedway's website.
Woolooga Talent Quest
- The Woolooga Community Hall in conjunction with the Kilkivan Great Horse Ride will be holding a Big Rosella Talent Quest from 6:30pm tonight at the hall, along with a dinner. In addition to a $100 cash prize, the winner of tonight's talent quest will have the opportunity to appear on the main stage at this year's Kilkivan Great Horse Ride Regional Talent Quest. Tickets to the dinner are $25 per head for a three course meal, and everyone is welcome. More details? Phone Kayleen or Shane on (07) 5484-7398.
South Burnett Soccer - Wondai and Kingaroy
- The South Burnett's 2018 soccer competition will kick off in Wondai and Kingaroy today, and with only two divisions (men's and women's) in this year's competition because the South Burnett is fielding a team in the Darling Downs competition as well, it promises to be a very interesting one. Today in Wondai, Barambah will take on Nanango at the Wondai Soccer Fields at the northern end of the Wondai Sportsgrounds, with games starting at 2:00pm (women) and 3:30pm (men). And in Kingaroy, a local derby will be played between Wests and Gunners at Tom Alford Oval at the end of Oliver Bond Street, with the women kicking off at 3:00pm and the men at 7:00pm. As well, a game from the Toowoomba Football League competition will kick off in Kingaroy at 5:00pm between South Burnett United and Dalby Tigers. Spectators are welcome at all games and a canteen will be running at both sites.
Tarong Power Station Reunion - Nanango
- A reunion of current and former Tarong Power Station workers will be held at the Nanango Showgrounds in Cairns Street from 9:00am to 10:00pm today. Food and drink will be on sale, and people can also camp overnight at the showgrounds. You can read more about today's reunion on our website.
St Patricks Day At The Palace - Nanango
- The Palace Hotel in Drayton Street, Nanango will be celebrating St Patricks Day from 2:00pm until late. Naturally, the theme will be green and if you come dressed in some you can be in the running for a great gift. There'll also be a raffle and a lucky door prize, plus live Irish music provided by Lazy Sunday and friends. Admission is free and everyone is welcome. More details? Phone the Palace on (07) 4163-1287.
St Patricks Day Mini-Fete - Kumbia
- A St Patricks Day Mini-Fete will be held in the grounds of the Catholic church in Brooke Street, Kumbia from 1:30pm this afternoon. Apart from stalls there'll be a prize for the best decorated bike on offer, a silent auction, raffles, competitions, guessing games and a great afternoon tea. Everyone is welcome!
Bowls Club Bingo - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
World's Greatest Shave - Kingaroy
- Kumbia QCWA president Catherine Woodham will be having her locks shorn at Studio for Hair at 15 Alford Street in Kingaroy at 10:00am this morning for the World's Greatest Shave to help raise funds for the Leukaemia Foundation. Friends and supporters are very welcome to come along and cheer her on, and even take a clipping themselves. You can read more about this on our website
Murgon Men's Shed
- The Murgon Men's Shed will be holding a meeting at their shed in Macalister Street, Murgon (the former Murgon Railway Station) today. The Men's Shed meets every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to work on projects and new members are always welcome.
- The third Saturday of the month Kingaroy Markets will be held at the Cheers Triangle end of the Kingaroy Showgrounds in Youngman Street, Kingaroy from 7:00am to around 12:00pm today. The markets are jointly run by the Kingaroy Rotary Club and Kingaroy Show Society and feature a great array of arts, crafts, fruit and flower stalls. New stallholders are always very welcome! More details? Phone Patrick on 0419-648-754.
Proston Men's Shed
- The Proston Men's Shed will be meeting at the old railway station building at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston for its regular Saturday morning meeting today, kicking off with a cuppa at 9:00am. The meeting will run until around noon, and new members are always welcome. More details? Phone Geoff on 0439-694-000.
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email.
Sistas In Sync Brunch - Kingaroy
- Sistas In Sync will be holding a brunch at the Kingaroy Baptist Church Hall at 33 Knight Street at 9:30am this morning. The brunch will be an opportunity to meet up with other like-minded women who have a passion to see change in the local community or who want to learn more about the Sistas' Shine program. Ladies should bring a plate of food to share and a gold coin donation which will go towards sponsoring a young person to go to schoolies with Red Frogs. Tea and coffee will be provided, and all women are welcome.
Back To Nanango Reunion
- The annual Back To Nanango Reunion for past and present Nanango residents will be held at Ringsfield House at 41-45 Alfred Street, Nanango from 9:30am until around 2:00pm today, kicking off with a sign-in followed by morning tea at 10:00am and lunch around 12:15pm (for those who've pre-ordered). One highlight of the day will be a slideshow by historian Liz Caffery which was shown at the OLHC Centenary celebrations last year - Ď150 Weddings Over The Decadesí. All past and present Nanango residents are very welcome, and you can read about what last year's reunion was like on our website.
Murrumba PipesíníDrums - Maidenwell
- The Murrumba PipesíníDrums will be paying a visit to the Maidenwell Hotel from noon today to celebrate St Patrick's Day with traditional Scottish music. The band will be playing on the hotel's deck and lunches will be available if you're hungry. There'll also be a local World's Greatest Shave during the course of the afternoon. Admission is free. More details? Phone the hotel on (07) 4164-6133. You can also read more about what last year's band visit to the pub was like on our website.
Burnett Kennel Club Championship Show - Murgon
- The second day of the annual, three day Burnett Kennel Club All Breeds Championship Dog Show will be held at the Murgon Showgrounds today as part of this year's Murgon Show. Tomorrow the event will transfer back to the Wondai Showgrounds.
Lost Dogs - Kingaroy
- The Commercial Hotel at the corner of Glendon and Haly Streets in Kingaroy will be celebrating St Patricks Day with party band The Lost Dogs playing classic rock with an Irish twist from 9:00pm until late tonight. Everyone is welcome. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1380.
Queensland Indigenous Golf Championship - Murgon
- The second day of the three day Queensland Indigenous Golf Championship will be played at the Murgon Golf Club on the Bunya Highway south of the CBD today. The championship is open to male and female Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander amateur golfers with a Golf Australia handicap. Spectators are very welcome.
Saturday Rugby League
- There's very little local rugby league action this weekend, with many seniors (and some juniors) travelling to Mundubbera or Chinchilla for competitions. However, there are some junior footy games at Cherbourg, where the Cherbourg Hornets will play Kingaroy's Red Ants at Jack O'Chin Oval. U6s will hit the field at 9:00am; U8s at 10:00am; U10s at 11:00am; U12s at 12:30pm and U14s at 2:00pm.
ABBI Futurity - Nanango
- An ABBI Futurity will be held at the Nanango Showgrounds in Cairns Street, Nanango from 9:00am this morning. The event will offer Yearling, Futurity, Limited Futurity, Derby and Ladies categories, with Trophy buckles for event champions.
South Burnett Saints 2018 Sign-On - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Saints AFL Club will be holding their 2018 Sign On Day at Lyle Vidler Oval in Youngman Street, Kingaroy from 11:00am to 1:00pm today. This year the Saints will be fielding Men's, Women's and Junior teams and players of all ages and skill levels are invited along. In addition to the Sign On there'll also be a BBQ, training and games. Everyone is welcome!
Saturday, 17 March 2018