June 27, 2022
There are currently 155 tick-infested properties inside Queensland’s “tick-free” zone.
The figure, as at May 27, was revealed in the answer to a Question on Notice by Member for Nanango Deb Frecklington.
Agriculture Minister Mark Furner also said that just one company and one individual had been prosecuted for cattle tick-related breaches of Queensland biosecurity laws since 2018.
The cattle tick line, which passes through the South Burnett, was set in its current position in 2016, abolishing the former “control” areas.
It was reviewed in 2019.
“The tick line has been positioned to provide a sustainable and cost-effective cattle tick-free zone, minimise the occurrence of cattle tick infestations and promote a genuinely cattle tick free zone,” Minister Furner said.
“While a small number of cattle tick-infested properties will continue to emerge in the free zone, the infestations are not unexpected.
“The numbers of properties impacted in recent times are consistent with the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries’ data collected over many years.
“Generally, the cattle tick free-zone infestations occur in areas close to the tick line where environmental conditions are more suitable for cattle tick survival.
“The number of properties is influenced by seasonal conditions.
“After two good wet seasons in a row in these high-risk areas, a small increase in the number of infested properties has been recorded this year.”