November 13, 2020
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has announced a further easing of restrictions as Queensland continues its recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic.
Speaking to reporters on Friday, Premier Palaszczuk said the changes could occur “because of the great work of Queenslanders”.
And she emphasised they meant Suncorp Stadium could be filled to capacity for the State of Origin decider on Wednesday.
* * *
From 4:00pm on Tuesday, November 17:
- Gatherings: Gatherings in homes and public spaces will increase from 40 to 50 across Queensland
- Indoor premises: Increase from one person per four square metres to one person per two square metres (eg. restaurants, cafes, pubs, clubs, indoor play areas, museums, art galleries, places of worship, convention centres and Parliament House)
- Weddings: Up to 200 people can attend a wedding and all guests can dance
- Funerals: Up to 200 people can attend a funeral
- Indoor events: Seated, ticketed venues can increase capacity from 50 per cent to 100 per cent (eg. theatre, live music, cinemas and indoor sports). Performers can reduce distance from audience from 4m to 2m, except choirs which remain at 4m from audience
- Outdoor events: Outdoor events can increase from 1000 to 1500 people with a COVID Safe Checklist (larger events require a COVID Safe Plan)
- Open air stadiums: Increase seated capacity from 75 per cent to 100 per cent
- Outdoor dancing: Outdoor dancing allowed (eg. outdoor music festivals)
* * *
The Premier said these were sensible steps back to normality after Queensland recorded 60 days without a locally acquired case.
“Other countries are experiencing third waves with increasing numbers of daily cases,” Ms Palaszczuk said.
“Queenslanders are able to enjoy our Queensland way of life and we have to keep up the good work.”
Newly appointed Health Minister Yvette D’Ath warned the pandemic wasn’t over so people had to stay vigilant.
“We can’t forget the basics,” the Minister said.
“That means keep up social distancing, stay home if you’re sick and maintain basic hygiene.”
* * *
Friday was the 14th consecutive day that Victoria has recorded no new cases.
Both Queensland and NSW reported one new case each, returned overseas travellers in quarantine.
No deaths were reported in Australia on Friday.
So far, Australia has recorded 27,512 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 907 deaths.
Internationally, the World Health Organisation has reported there have been 51,848,261 confirmed cases of COVID-19 to date, including 1,280,868 deaths.
On November 12, the United States recorded another 153,280 cases, taking its tally to 10,557,350. The United Kingdom reported another 22,950 cases, taking its total to 1,256,729.