March 13, 2020

Queensland Health has confirmed there is one case of novel coronavirus – COVID-19 – in Kingaroy.

This is the first confirmed case in the South Burnett region.

The person is reported to be in a stable condition.

Queensland Health has not issued a public contact tracing alert in regards to this case.

The latest case follows the confirmation on Sunday that a woman in the Gympie region had also tested positive to the highly contagious virus.

She had recently travelled from London via Dubai.

The 38-year-old was transferred to an isolation room in the Sunshine Coast University Hospital in a stable condition.

Queensland Health said there are now 35 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Queensland.

Contact tracing is underway for all new cases, in addition to the previously confirmed cases.

“We will notify the community if any other public health alerts are required,” the spokesperson said.

Queensland Health is urging anyone who has been overseas in the last 14 days and has a fever or any respiratory symptoms to see a doctor immediately.

Please call ahead to the GP surgery and let them know your symptoms and travel history, this will help them prepare for your arrival.

“Queenslanders can do their part by practicing good hygiene and staying home if you’re sick.” the spokesperson said.

“Washing your hands properly and often is the gold standard of health advice that can help prevent viruses from entering your body.”

Up-to-date information about COVID-19 is available on the Queensland Health website

* * *

Opposition Leader Deb Frecklington

Opposition Leader and Member for Nanango Deb Frecklington has encouraged the community to stay calm in the wake of the confirmation of a coronavirus case in Kingaroy.

“Follow the advice of the health authorities, particularly when it comes to practicing good hygiene, and seek medical advice if you have any symptoms,” Mrs Frecklington said.

“I know many people are anxious about this, but please be assured the Federal Government is making decisions based on the best possible medical advice.

“It is also important to note that our Prime Minister, Scott Morrison, along with members of COAG (the Council of Australian Governments) have advised that by Monday (March 16), the Federal Government will be advising against organised, non-essential gatherings of persons of 500 people or greater.

“This does not apply to attendance at work, childcare, schools, university lectures, public transport etc. They have also asked Australians to reconsider the need to travel overseas at this time, regardless of destination, age or health.

“It is important to keep up-to-date with the latest information being provided, which can be found at www.health.gov.au

* * *

Live press conference: Update about novel coronavirus (COVID-19) 13/3/20

Queensland Health Video

 

Live press conference: Update about novel coronavirus (COVID-19) 13/3/20

Posted by Queensland Health on Thursday, March 12, 2020

 

[UPDATED]

Downer Position Vacant - click here
Downer Position Vacant - click here

3 Responses to "Coronavirus Confirmed In Kingaroy"

  1. Karen Habban  March 14, 2020

    Looking forward, it would be interesting to see how upcoming council elections will be handled.
    I would daresay they will need to increase staff to handle postal votes.

    Reply
  2. Vicky  March 16, 2020

    Are the annual shows to go ahead, ie Nanango and Kingaroy with the coronavirus alert stating events 500+ attendance to be cancelled and a possibility of six months or more being a reasonable timeframe?

    Reply
    • News Desk  March 16, 2020

      At the moment, we know Goomeri, Jandowae and Toowoomba shows have been cancelled or postponed. We have received no information about either Nanango or Kingaroy.

      Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.