May 10, 2016
Moreton Resources has given up part of its exploration tenement – four blocks immediately east of Taabinga Village which also include Kingaroy Airport – in a bid to ease local opposition to its proposed coal mine.
In a statement to the ASX on Tuesday, managing director Jason Elks said MRV Tarong Basin Coal Pty Ltd, the fully owned subsidiary of Moreton Resources, had “consistently assured residents and stakeholders that the area was not to be mined, nor used for mining lease application purposes”.
However, the four blocks had been identified as an area of major concern to the South Burnett community because of their proximity to Kingaroy.
Mr Elks said relinquishing the blocks was “a significant step forward in again assuring the community of the South Burnett that the company will continue to deliver upon its commitments and assurances”.
“The move comes on the back of significant consultation with key stakeholder groups throughout the South Burnett over several months, and as outlined, shows the level of commitment the company has to open and transparent dealings with the community,” he said.
Mr Elks said relinquishing the four blocks would require a 91 Mt decrease in the coal resource estimate previously submitted to the ASX.
He said Moreton Resources was expecting to progress the following during the next financial quarter:
- Begin the the Queensland State-based environmental assessment process
- Seek to have a declaration made, under the Commonwealth approvals process, that the proposed development will be a “controlled action”.
Controlled actions, under Federal legislation, require Commonwealth approval and are subject to a formal assessment and approval process.
- KCCG Rejects Phone Poll
- Phone Poll Backs Mine: Moreton
- Moreton Takes Mining Plan Out To The People
- KCCG Will Speak To Council
- Nannas Knit Against Mine
- KCCG Meets With State Government
- Coal Mine Fight Spreads
- Moreton Resources Unveils Mine Partner
- Meetings To Discuss Mine
- Moreton Plans To Start Seeking Permits
- Moreton’s Coal ‘Too Expensive’
- Kingaroy Coal Mine? No Way!
- Public Meeting To Discuss Coal Mine
- Stanwell Still Says ‘No’
- Moreton Releases Mine Study Results
- Moreton Resources Eyes Rail Link
- Moreton Buys More Resources
- Mining CEO Talks To Council
- KCCG Sees No Future For Mine
- Green Light For ‘Next Step’
- Moreton Board To Consider ‘Next Step’
- Moreton Resources Splits Off South Burnett Holdings
- Moreton Resources Extends Licence
- Controversial UCG Plant Vanishes
- UCG Plant Starts To Disappear
- Moreton To Begin Mine Concept Study
- Moreton Responds To MP’s Comments
- Moreton Aims To Press On
- Stanwell ‘Rejecting Billions In Savings’
- Stanwell Rules Out Moreton Coal
- ‘Enough Coal For 30-Plus Years’
- Concept Study Next Step For Proposed Coal Mine
- Moreton Triples Coal Estimates
- Coal Mine Review Delayed To July