June 23, 2023
Runners taking part in the sixth annual Wondai Country Running Festival will be hitting the trails around the town again this weekend!
Race director Ros Heit said entries for Sunday’s marathon were up on previous years.
The various events kick off at 7:00am on Saturday with the regular Wondai parkrun and conclude with the trophy presentations for the marathon on Sunday.
Ros said the popular CROW-FM Dash for Cash on Saturday morning will start at 8:15am.
Cost to enter is $5 and there will be cash prizes as well as a prizes for donning a “dashing” outfit .
There are three age categories: 18 & under; 40 & under and Masters.
Also on Saturday, there is the South Burnett CTC All Abilities Run at 8:45am, and the Hansen Kitchens Family Fun Run at 9:00am.
The Fun Run ($5 entry) is untimed and a social event for all the family. Parents are encouraged to accompany young children.
There will be lots of random prizes.
Registrations for all the Saturday morning events can be made on the day.
On Saturday afternoon, there are two Forest Trail runs, sponsored by Bega PCA, starting at 12:30pm (21.1km) and 1:30pm (11.1km).
Sunday’s events are the Marathon (starting 6:30am), Half-Marathon (7:00am) and 10km run (7:30am).
Online registrations for the Saturday afternoon and Sunday events have now closed, but late starters can register on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning at the Wondai Art Gallery.
As well as all the running, there will be plenty of action for spectators and visitors to enjoy on Saturday morning.
Helicopter rides – which proved very popular last year – will be back.
In nearby Coronation Park, there’ll be market stalls and free entertainment.
On Saturday night, the Wondai Country dinner will be held at the Wondai Town Hall, featuring a licensed bar and mulled wine.
Tickets for this event were snapped up very quickly and sadly, it is now booked out.
- External link: Wondai Country Running Festival
* * *
What’s Happening & When
- 7:00am – Wondai parkrun on the South Burnett Rail Trail.
- 8:15am – 1km CROW-FM Dash For Cash on the Rail Trail.
- 8:45am – 1km South Burnett CTC All Abilities race on the Rail Trail. Carers and wheelchairs welcome but no motorised vehicles.
- 9:00am – Hansen Kitchens Family 2km Fun Run on the Rail Trail. Untimed and social for all the family. Parents welcome to accompany young children. Prams and dogs welcome. $5 entry. Lots of random prizes.
- 12:30pm – 21.1km Bega PCA Forest Trail through McEuen Forest.
- 1:30pm – 11.1km Bega PCA Forest Trail through McEuen Forest.
- 6:30am – Ken Mills Marathon on the Rail Trail.
- 7:00am – Bendigo Bank Half-Marathon on the Rail Trail.
- 7:30am – Ryans Butchery 10km run on the Rail Trail.