September 30, 2020
The notorious single-lane John Peterson Bridge on Mundubbera-Durong Road at Boynewood has claimed a life.
A 25-year-old man travelling towards Mundubbera crashed off the bridge on Friday night.
Initial police inquiries suggest the man’s Mazda 3 struck the southern side of the single-lane bridge before falling into the water below.
It’s believed the incident occurred about 9:15pm on Friday but the vehicle – and the man’s body – were not located until Tuesday.
The Taiwanese national had been reported missing to police.
The Forensic Crash Unit is investigating.
Local residents and the Mundubbera-to-Jandowae Roads Working Group have been lobbying for years to have the dangerous John Peterson Bridge replaced.
In June, a $25 million funding package to replace the bridge was announced – $5 million from the State Government on top of $20 million promised from the Federal Government.
- $25m Funding To Upgrade Bridge
- $24m Promise To Replace Bridge
- $20m Promise To Replace Bridge
- ‘We Lose Kenny, We Lose The Election’
- Roads Group Lobbies Would-Be MPs
- MP Pushes For Road Funding
- Councils Back Push For Roads Upgrade
- Roads Group Welcomes ‘Great Start’
- Roads Group Gathers Evidence
- Rain Postpones Roads Tour
- MP Rejects Bridge Claim
- Bridge Already Underway: ALP
- Mayor Welcomes Road Announcement
- $50m Promise To Upgrade Road
- Push Grows To Upgrade Road