southburnett.com.au
What's On In The South Burnett Today?

$20m Promise To Replace Bridge

Filed under Breaking News, Latest News, Media Gallery, Rural

Members of the Mundubbera to Jandowae Roads Working Group chat with Drought Envoy  Barnaby Joyce and Member for Flynn Ken O’Dowd at the John Peterson Bridge in March  (Photo: MJRWG)

April 26, 2019

The Federal Coalition has promised to spend $20 million to replace the single-lane John Peterson Bridge over the Boyne River near Mundubbera if re-elected.

Replacement of the bridge has been a key concern for farmers and agri-businesses in the western part of the South Burnett for many years.

A lobby group, the Mundubbera to Jandowae Roads Working Group (MJRWG), was formed in 2017 to press the case as well as pushing for upgrades to Mundubbera-Durong Road.

Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack promised on Friday that a re-elected Liberal and Nationals Government would replace the bridge.

“The John Peterson Bridge on Mundubbera-Durong Road is subject to flooding, causing safety concerns for people travelling on this key route linking the North and South Burnett regions,” Mr McCormack said.

Federal Member for Flynn Ken O’Dowd said the vital freight route along Mundubbera-Durong Road was cut during heavy weather.

“This project will involve construction of a new bridge, as well as realigning its approaches to eliminate dangerous S-bends,” he said.

“This is a key route connecting the Western Downs with Rockhampton and is used by thousands of heavy vehicles carting cattle, timber and grain on a weekly basis.

“We all know that if a bridge is out of action it could mean a diversion of hundreds of kilometres to find a safe alternate route.”

AgForce general president – and MJRWG chair – Durong grazier Georgie Somerset said a new bridge would produce economic and social benefits for the entire region.

She said design work to replace and realign the existing low-level timber bridge with a new high-level bridge had already been completed by the Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads.

North Burnett Mayor Rachel Chambers also welcomed the announcement, saying Council had advocated strongly for the replacement of the bridge for many years.

“We will continue to work closely with the MJRWG to see this project realised and support further improvements to this north-south inland linkage,” she said.

BIEDO CEO Kristy Frahm also praised the commitment.

She said a new two-lane concrete bridge would improve road access and reliability.

“As part of the MJRWG, we’ve been working with all levels of government, as well as local organisations, to collaborate and prioritise solutions to create connected communities through a focus on infrastructure,” Mrs Frahm said.

Related articles:

At the funding announcement on Friday in Gladstone … from left, AgForce general president Georgie Somerset, North Burnett mayor Rachel Chambers, Cr Faye Whelan (North Burnett), Member for Flynn Ken O’Dowd, Prime Minister Scott Morrison, BIEDO CEO Kristy Frahm and Member for Callide Colin Boyce (Photo: MJRWG)

Heavy vehicles regularly use the single-lane John Peterson Bridge across the Boyne River near Mundubbera (Photo: Nanango Electorate Office)

FLASHBACK: MJRWG members at the dangerous single-lane John Peterson Bridge near Mundubbera in 2017 … the photo includes South Burnett Deputy Mayor Kathy Duff, South Burnett Regional Council EDO Craig Tunley, WBB RDA CEO Scott Rowe and North Burnett Mayor Rachel Chambers (Photo: BIEDO)


SPONSORED LINKS:
Anderssons Fruit Market for quality fruits and vegetables

One Response to $20m Promise To Replace Bridge

  1. Ross Trevor

    More pie-in-the-sky stuff from the LNP.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *