March 16, 2020
There are no further confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the South Burnett, Mayor Keith Campbell emphasised on Monday afternoon.
The South Burnett Local Disaster Management Group (LDMG) has received information from Queensland Health about only the one Kingaroy case, reported in the media on Friday.
The LDMG noted that a letter sent home with students from a Kingaroy school stated a parent – not connected with Friday’s case – was also a confirmed case of COVID-19.
However, the LDMG says this instance is not confirmed, and the person involved is still undergoing testing.
“I can confirm after direct discussions with Queensland Health, that whilst people are being tested, as you would expect in our community, at this time there is only one confirmed case which occurred last week,” Mayor Campbell said.
“I also reiterate, after extensive discussions with Queensland Health, as at today’s date we have been assured that there are NO positive cases of COVID-19 in South Burnett schools.”
Mayor Campbell said the LDMG would be meeting at noon on Tuesday to review the latest developments.
“The LDMG has formed a number of sub-groups to meet regularly with Queensland Health and Education Queensland,” he said.
“It is likely that further sub-groups will be established to ensure that we adequately address issues that may affect our community such as the health and well being of our elderly and at risk residents.”