November 10, 2023
Murgon Diggers proved too strong for Kingaroy Services Orange in their South Burnett Cricket Association match played at Taabinga State School last Saturday.
Murgon won the toss and elected to bat.
At the end of their 40 overs, Diggers were 8/291 with opener Ashley Louis top-scoring with 83 runs.
Jack Schulz was not out 49.
At one point near the end of the innings, brothers Will and Jack Webber were occupying both creases – believed to be the first time the pair have actually batted together.
Evan Blanch was the pick of the Kingaroy bowlers, finishing with 4/71 off eight overs.
Joe Campbell took 3/50 off seven.
In reply, Services Orange were all out for 103 in the 24th over.
Evan Blanch top-scored with 56 runs.
Jeramiah Litzow took 4/7 off three overs while Dylan Kapernick took 1/15 off five.
* * *
Other SB Senior Results
- Wondai Wolves (6/295) def. Tingoora Huntsmen (176 all out) by 119 runs at Tingoora Sportsground
- Tingoora Vikings (9/219) def. Nanango Scorpions (95 all out) by 121 runs at Alan Downie Sportsfields, Nanango
- Wooroolin Warriors (7/177) def. Kingaroy Services Blue (6/169) by three wickets at Wondai Cricket Ground
* * *
SB Junior Results
- Nanango Scorpions (5/126) def. Kingaroy Cobras (5/117) by nine runs at Alan Downie Sportsfields, Nanango.
Nanango innings: Beau Laherty 19 not out, Caleb Schipanski 21 not out; Hayden McCrea 2/15 and Karl Rockemer 1/14
Kingaroy innings: Deegan Zemek 26 not out, Hayden McCrea 13 not out; William Morrow 2/12 and Zac Schipanski 2/11
- Kingaroy Kookaburras (0/152) def. Tingoora Vikings (9/55) by 97 runs at River Road, Kingaroy
Tingoora innings: Ben Reilly 10, Josh Lamping 11 not out; Mitch Stretton 2/4 and Jackson D’Arcy 2/6
Kingaroy innings: Mitch Stretton 39 not out, Max Curtis 16 not out; Oliver Miller 0/13 and Isiah Geysing 0/18
- Kingaroy (4/169) def. Nanango Scorpions (7/129) by 40 runs at Alan Downie Sportsfields, Nanango
Nanango innings: Angus Elford 47 not out, Josie Black 22; Mackenzie Bourke 4/16 and Luke Fisher 1/16
Kingaroy innings: Jayden Prendergast 28 not out, Jeremiah Litzow 24; Dom Ward 2/26 and Josie Black 1/22
* * *
South Burnett played Gympie in Round 2 of the Goodchild Shield competition on Sunday in Gympie.
South Burnett (8/144) defeated Gympie (9/143) by two wickets in a closely fought game.
South Burnett won the toss and elected to bowl.
The bowlers kept Gympie in check, bowling 11 maidens in the 50-over innings.
Nicholas Sanewski (3/31 off nine overs), Nathan Roderick (3/17 off 10) and Ashley Sippel (1/6 off seven) were the pick of the SB bowlers.
In reply, South Burnett overhauled the target in the 37th over.
Captain Trent Riddell (44), Brenton Polzin (24) and Jared Sippel (22 not out) were the top scorers.
The win now assures South Burnett a place in the final.
If South Burnett defeats Bundaberg on January 21, the final could be held in the South Burnett.
* * *
Several South Burnett players will be representing Wide Bay Open at the Schaffer Shield in Toowoomba this weekend:
- Nathan Roderick, Trent Riddell, Harry Sippel and Matthew Springate.
Also, a number of South Burnett juniors have been picked for Wide Bay Development sides to contest carnivals in January:
- Under 12s – Mason Fuller-Sandys, Braxton Bartlett, Hudson Murphy and Elliot Black.
- Under 15s – Jamie Searle and Douglas Hoare.
The following juniors have been selected for Wide Bay Under 13 and Under 15 sides for the QJC Southern Championships, from December 12-15:
- Under 13s – Tiffany Cook and Bianca McCrea.
- Under 15s – Josie Black, Emma Cullen, Mackenzie Bourke and Isabella Eisenmenger.
* * *
This Weekend’s Games
SB Junior Competition – Round 4 (8:00am start)
- Nanango Scorpions v Tingoora Vikings at Tingoora Sportsground
- Kingaroy Kookaburras v Kingaroy Cobras at River Road, Kingaroy
- Kingaroy v Nanango Scorpions at Taabinga State School
SB Senior Competition – Round 6 (12:30pm start)
- Tingoora Vikings v Kingaroy Services Blue at Tingoora Sportsground
- Wondai Wolves v Nanango Scorpions at Wondai Cricket Ground
- Wooroolin Warriors v Kingaroy Services Orange at Kingaroy State School
- Murgon Diggers v Tingoora Huntsmen at Murgon Showgrounds
Gympie A Grade One-Day Competition – Round 5 (12:30pm start)
- Wooroolin Warriors v Gympie Valleys at Kozminsky Oval, Gympie
- Murgon Crusaders v Gympie Colts at Murgon Showgrounds
NB. The Gympie A Grade game between Wooroolin Warriors and Murgon Crusaders, which was to have been played last Saturday in Murgon, has been rescheduled to December 16.