October 20, 2023
Star batsman Chris Lynn is used to big hitting, but last Saturday he was a big hit with junior cricketers in Kingaroy.
Lynn is the Big Bash League’s all-time leading run-scorer and currently runs out with the Adelaide Strikers, but he’s also been a force internationally for Australia and in the Indian Premier League.
He led South Burnett youngsters through batting drills in the nets at Lyle Vidler Oval … drills that he still does today despite his success.
While some cricketers were practising their batting, others were practising how to catch and roll, under the watchful eye of South Burnett Cricket Association’s Dan O’Connor.
“Let’s Smash South Burnett Out of the Park” was a partnership between the South Burnett Regional Council and the South Burnett Cricket Association.
Council also took the opportunity to distribute “Get Ready” information to families.
The junior cricketers will be in action for real this weekend, with Round 1 of the Stage 2 and Stage 3 competitions scheduled to be played.
* * *
SB Senior Results
Nanango Scorpions (252 all out) defeated Kingaroy Services Orange (122 all out) by 130 runs at Taabinga State School in Round 2 of the South Burnett Senior competition.
Brad Schipanski (72 not out) and Jayden Prendergast who was run out on 70 were the top scorers for Scorpions.
Samual Wilson (4/38 off six overs) and Sam Scott (2/45 off eight) were the pick of the Kingaroy bowlers.
In reply, Luke Peters (73) settled the ship for Kingaroy when he came in at number three after the two openers scored ducks.
Samual Wilson also added a handy 21 runs.
Jayden Prendergast (4/22 off four overs) and Matt Badesso (2/18 off six) did the damage for Nanango.
* * *
- Murgon Diggers (203 all out) defeated Wooroolin Warriors (180 all 0ut) by 23 runs at Murgon Sportsground.
Jonathon Kapernick (40) and Jaden Heness (33) were the top scorers for Murgon.
Roger Hoare (3/14 off seven overs) and Douglas Hoare (3/34 off six) were the best of the Wooroolin bowlers.
In reply, Patrick Figg (46) and Chanse Olm (31) were best with the bat for Wooroolin.
Charlie Sippel took five wickets for Murgon off his eight overs.
Jamian Currin took 1/16 off eight, with one maiden.
- Kingaroy Services Blue (6/338) defeated Tingoora Huntsmen (113 all out) by 225 runs at Tingoora Sportsground.
Fletcher Black (114 not out) and Trevor Black (78) dominated for Kingaroy.
Ben Pratt (2/38 off seven) and Jason Reilly (2/19 off eight) finished with the best bowling figures for Tingoora.
In reply, captain Jason Reilly (65 off 61 balls) and Stuart Lamping (13) were the top scorers for the Huntsmen.
Fletcher Black (3/11 off 4.2 overs) and Lachlan Watson (2/17 off six) were deadly for Kingaroy.
- Wondai Wolves v Tingoora Vikings – Wondai forfeit
* * *
Gympie A Grade Results
The Gympie A Grade competition reverted back to one-day games on Saturday, with matches played in Murgon and Gympie.
Both South Burnett teams notched up wins.
- Murgon Crusaders (9/155) defeated Gympie Valleys (154 all out) by one wicket at Murgon Sportsground.
Crusaders won the toss and elected to bowl.
Murgon bowlers: Ashley Sippel (3/7 off five), Riley Sippel (2/30 off six) and Brenton Polzin (1/10 off five)
Murgon batters: Samuel Dennien (41), Byron Kratzmann (29) and Nicholas Sanweski (22)
- Wooroolin Warriors (8/217) defeated Gympie Royals (152 all out) by 65 runs at Kozminsky Oval, Gympie.
Warriors won the toss and elected to bat.
Wooroolin batters: Jack Hourn (45), Jackson Kerkow (32) and Caylan Brown (28)
Wooroolin bowlers: Jack Hourn (4/8 off five), Fletcher Brown (2/23 off seven) and Caylan Brown (2/24 off seven)
* * *
South Burnett cricketers are doing the region proud, getting selected for various Wide Bay teams:
Junior players were picked for Wide Bay QJC carnivals after selection trials in Maryborough last Sunday: Diegan Zemek (U12), Joe Carney (U13), Darcy Harmsworth (U13), Theo Kelly (U14) and Byron Kratzmann (U14)
Rory O’Connor and Jayden Prendergast are representing Wide Bay this weekend in Ipswich at the SQCC U15 male southern hub games.
South Burnett juniors have also been selected in Wide Bay School rep teams: Charlotte Love (Open Female), Tom Town and Lawson Black (Open Male), Josie Black and Isabella Eisenmenger (U15 Female), Jackson Kerkow, Byron Kratzmann and Braidyn Scott (Under 15 Male).
In Under 21s, Riley Sippel, Matthew Springate, Harry Sippel and Tom Currin have also been selected to represent Wide Bay.
* * *
This Weekend’s Games
SB Junior Competition – Round 1 (8:00am start)
- Kingaroy Cobras v Kingaroy Kookaburras at River Road Oval, Kingaroy
- Mixed Scorpions v Tingoora Vikings at Tingoora Sportsground
- Kingaroy v Nanango Scorpions at Taabinga State School
SB Senior Competition – Round 3 (12:30pm start)
- Tingoora Vikings v Murgon Diggers at Tingoora Sportsground
- Wooroolin Warriors v Nanango Scorpions at Kingaroy State School
- Kingaroy Services Orange v Tingoora Huntsmen at Taabinga State School
- Kingaroy Services Blue v Wondai Wolves at Wondai Cricket Ground
Gympie A Grade One-Day Competition – Round 2 (12:30pm start)
- Murgon Crusaders v Gympie Harlequins at Murgon Sportsground
- Wooroolin Warriors v Gympie Colts at Kosminsky Oval, Gympie
SUNDAY – Junior Representative (9:00am start)
- Under 12s & Under 14s – Bundaberg v South Burnett at Bundaberg